News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

Fan Belt Installation

Started by Jon S, May 14, 2021, 01:23:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jon S

I know the assembly line didn't pay much attention to which direction the lettering on the fan belts faced but I was just curious since I am replacing the fan belts if I should have the lettering facing the radiator so I can be read from the front of the engine or facing the firewallthe so it can also be read from that direction. I would like to have all the belts letterings facing in the same direction so my question is do I have it facing forward for rearward?
Jon

1958 Cadillac Sedan De Ville
1973 Lincoln Continental Coupe
1981 Corvette
2004 Mustang GT

fishnjim

Never saw any rules, regulations, or good practice on that.   One for the "Mr. Deduction", the concours "Judge".
The belt manufacturer may have more insight, if there's no directional arrow on it, but usually it makes no difference to the belt which way it is traveling, if it's smooth underside.  Many have no lettering and go by size, then what?
The "V" angle, width, and tension are most important.

Jon S

Understood but before I change them I would like to know which is the preferred directions for the writing.  I don't want to change them twice.  One of my good friends who is the car both tells me the lettering should be facing the radiator so you can read it from the front of the car but I don't know for sure.  These are smooth V belts as original but you are correct everything today is that notched design which are supposed to grab better but I'm told they put more stress on the bearings and water pump.  Plus I think they look very funky.  I am a purist and like things to be as they were installed by the factory.
Jon

1981 Corvette
2004 Mustang GT

Clewisiii

I am certain it does not matter to the belt. But just like toilet paper everyone will have their own preference and reasoning

I defer to the patent drawing.
"My interest is in the future, because I am going to spend the rest of my life there."  Charles Kettering

Poncholover

Belt print always faces the radiator.
Flattie Caddy

Jon S

Quote from: Poncholover on May 14, 2021, 11:45:01 PM
Belt print always faces the radiator.

That seems to be the consensus of opinion - it makes the most sense to me.  I have my Corvette letters facing the firewall since that hood opens up backwards and it's easier to read the part numbers that way. Thanks everybody for the information and I found the toilet paper analysis to be excellent!
Jon

1981 Corvette
2004 Mustang GT