News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

1960 Fleetwood windshield glass?

Started by Sh71382, May 15, 2021, 05:54:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sh71382

Hello everyone, I just purchased my first true classic Cadillac, a 1960 Fleetwood and one of the things I need to replace is the front windshield. Now having done my best to search through past topics of similar questions, I came to the conclusion that modern made glass is not as curved as the original equipment and most do not have that nice blue tint as the EZ eye glass does. My car is equipped with the EZ Eye glass and Id prefer to find an original piece of glass that's not as flat or untinted. I may have located a couple of parts cars with still intact original glass but am waiting for replies from the sellers to confirm. My big question is, how difficult is removal of a vintage windshield so that it can be saved for reinstalling in my car? I have no experience in glass removal so I'm hoping someone here might have the experience that can help me determine if it's worth doing? I have found plenty of rear or side glass but proper oem front glass seems extremely difficult to find and likely for good reason. Does anyone have any suggestions or sources for proper glass that is curved and tinted like the EZ Eye glass? Thanks and I look forward to asking more as I get my new car cleaned up and back on the road this summer. -Steve

The Tassie Devil(le)

G'day Steve,

Removing windscreens is easy in these older cars, that is after you have removed the inside trim work, and outside stuff, like the Wipers and grille, as all you need to do is grab a very sharp knife, and with the blade flat against the glass, pointed towards the outside, slice off the outer layer of rubber, then run the blade around the inside to break any seal, and then carefully push the glass out from the inside.

Now, if there is any damage to said screen, it might not be worth the trouble.

You can purchase new replacement rubbers, called Gaskets from a number of suppliers, but you will be pleasantly surprised how cheap new glass is, and don't forget that the other large GM brands use the same glass, so supply is not really difficult.

Plus, new glass is a lot more friendlier to handle than original glass which has suffered the vagaries of scores of years of abuse, hot and cold, and not to mention, stone chipping, that can be minute, but it is still there.

Plus, I would be employing the services of a Glass shop to fit the replacement, even though they will have a "no responsibility" if they break one they don't supply.

Caddy Daddy has them for $525.00
https://www.caddydaddy.com/shop-parts/glass-more/new-glass/windshield/1959-1960-cadillac-2-door-coupe-glass-windshield-reproduction.html

Bruce. >:D
'72 Eldorado Convertible (LHD)
'70 Ranchero Squire (RHD)
'74 Chris Craft Gull Wing (SH)
'02 VX Series II Holden Commodore SS Sedan
(Past President Modified Chapter)

Past Cars of significance - to me
1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1937 Chevrolet Sports Coupe
1955 Chevrolet Convertible
1959 Ford Fairlane Ranch Wagon
1960 Cadillac CDV
1972 Cadillac Eldorado Coupe

Eric DeVirgilis CLC# 8621

Keep in mind windshield for Six Window Sedans is different from windshield for Coupes & Four Window Sedans.
A Cadillac Motorcar is a Possession for which there is no Acceptable Substitute

Daryl Chesterman

These companies show they possibly have what you are looking for, but you would need to call them to confirm price and availability for your year and model of car.

https://www.autocityclassic.com/index.php?p=home

http://www.metropartsmarket.com/glass/classicautoglass.html

https://www.sandersreproglass.com/

You will most definitely want to get a new replacement glass as I am sure the clarity of a used glass will not be good due to small  pits and the abrasion of windshield wipers running on a dirty glass—just remember what it is like to drive into the sun and see the surface imperfections in your newer vehicle!!!.  You will also want to ensure that the windshield frame where the sealing rubber goes is absolutely free of rust, and has a good rust treatment/prevention before glass installation, since the rust will continue to progress and ultimately cause the seal to be broken and cause leaks.

Daryl Chesterman