News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

Flathead Factory oil filter

Started by Poncholover, May 15, 2021, 05:26:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Poncholover

Would someone be able to supply a photo of the factory filter setup for a '40 or similar range of years?
Thanks in advance!
Flattie Caddy

Bob Hoffmann CLC#96

Hopefully someone can supply a pic in their car. I have one taken apart if you want to buy it.
Bob
1968 Eldorado slick top ,white/red interior
2015 Holden Ute HSV Maloo red/black interior.

Too much fun is more than you can have.

Tom Boehm

Hello Poncholover, 1940 Cadillacs and Lasalles did not come from the factory with an oil filter nor was it an option. There were period aftermarket systems available. Earlier years did not have them either. Later years? Anybody know?

Poncholover

Interesting that they were not offered. On my next salvage yard trip, I will grab one off a '50s Caddy or Packard.
Flattie Caddy

Alan Harris CLC#1513

1937 Cadillacs had an oil filter as standard equipment. For some reason, by the time that 1938 rolled around, GM decided that they were no longer necessary.

Even though they were not factory options, a lot of the flathead era cars did have oil filters installed. I would bet that the dealerships made them available to new car buyers and that a lot of them were sold.

I am not sure when oil filters stopped being optional. I personally owned a 1950 6219 sedan and a 1951 6267 convertible that had never had an oil filter installed. If anybody out there has ever seen a later Cadillac with no oil filter, I would love to hear about it.

Jamurray

Ponch, there are two schools of thought on oil filters for collector cars. I drive mine about 1,000 miles a year tops. I change the oil every year, but it burns quite a bit, so there's clean oil replacing what it burns during the year. I don't see the point of having a filter. Other owners feel differently. Perhaps an oil filter is like chicken soup; it can't hurt.

las39

After 37 they feared a bypass filter would drain the required oil feed for hydraulic lifters.
Filter returned when engines where designed for full flow type.
1939 LaSalle 5027
1941 Chrysler Royal Coupe
1934 Oldsmobile F34
1976 Moto Guzzi Convert

V63

The type of period filter system offered has nary any effectiveness...while it can't hurt... it's more of an illusion. Frequent oil changes much more effective.

Poncholover

In my school...I have pulled enough pans on pre detergent oil motors to know what they are "full of" and when resurrecting a long dormant engine, especially with modern oils, there is going to be all manor of nasty & interesting things coming loose.
Now should I ever get into a 5-15K engine rebuild, a filter would be an essential "umbrella policy".
Fortunately these are not 6000 RPM, 10:1 compression fire breathers or they would die pretty young!
Flattie Caddy

V63

I thought A bypass filter system was factory by 1949? Maybe just a popular option?
But it was not 'full flow' until the 'spin on' type in 1960. I'll have to check my data books about 1950?

toybox

Hi Jim, Send me another text and I will text you the photo of what was used by the dealers. My 46 has one as well as that 346 you wanted to buy from me.    Tim

Poncholover

I was happy to pick this up in some parts that I picked up recently. It has the correct Flathead brackets on it.
Then I opened it up. Yikes!
Looking at that popular internet site, Well, I'll just find a new canister...
Boy, people seem to want pretty good money for them!
Well, I have time, maybe I will dip it first & see how it cleans up.
Flattie Caddy

toybox

Hi Poncholover,                                                                                                                                                                                   
                      Text me at 3604859976 and I will send you the pictures of the AC filter package made just for the flat head Cadillac. It's a bolt on that is so nice you would swear it was factory.     Tim