News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

62 coupe deville engine swap

Started by dealer1, May 16, 2021, 08:42:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dealer1

I am working on a 62 coupe with a tired engine and trans. The owner has a 455 buick motor and trans  he would like to swap. I think a LS motor and trans would be easier. Has anyone done any kind of swaps in this era of cars? I looked at the motor mount area and where steering gear is located and kind of ruled out buick swap .I think the LS swap might work. I know a caddy guy would cry but this is what customer wants.

bcroe

That would take lot of custom work, and do check the axle ratio.  A
455 with TH400 expects a much lower final ratio.  Bruce Roe

fishnjim

If you don't want to offend the correct-ites, there's a "modified" section for these type issues.   www.modifiedcadillac.org

All comes down to $.   Depends if he wants a hot rod, classic, dependable, or clean out the garage.   You can do most anything, but is it worth it...   These type projects always bust a budget, cost much more than estimate or get cancelled midstream when funds run out.
LS is going to have a bunch of electronics to sort out that '62 doesn't have, like gauges, etc.  Not a cheap option if you have to buy one complete new.
The Buick, pre-electronic, might be simpler, but the support surgery more complicated.  GM frames changed.   A front suspension transplant is an option there.   They sell front sections, w/ or w.o steering that you graft in.
If the original motor is rebuildable or get a period core, it's always a reasonable option.   
If the big bore is an fitment issue, might use something like a ~400+" stroker to give that low end torque for that big crate and the mid range HP for cruising and not have to have a HD trans.   The 455 should be a T400 and handle the load.

Andrew Trout

A club member did a LS swap in their 61/62 Cadillac and they were active on the 61/62 forums, which unfortunately vanished due to server errors.

Doing some quick Googling, I found a YouTube video with a person explaining how they did a LS swap in a 1962 Fleetwood:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hvsnB5Kg28I

Looking through the video, you'll need:
• Engine mounts
• Adjustments to front crossmember
• Adjustments to transmission tunnel
• Adjustments to transmission crossmember
• Holley 302 oil pan
• Different rag joint for steering column
• Different radiator/fan
• Wiring harness
• Inline or in-tank pump for fuel

And most likely some other things as well. For example, with the more powerful engine, you'll really want to push the owner to consider front disc brakes as well. I believe that would require new tires and rims as stock rims won't fit around disc brakes and calipers.

Holley also has an article about LS swapping a 61 Sedan.

https://www.holley.com/blog/post/give_your_ls_engine_swap_classic_curbside_appeal_with_a_few_bolt-on_parts/

It's not as detailed as you may want, but the photos are good quality.

Rochester, NY
1961 Convertible

Caddylackn

the key things that make a swap possible are:

Oil Pan sump location
Clearance from exhaust manifolds to steering shaft
Cross member modifications/Oil filter location
engine mounts
Tranny mount.

There is a detailed write up on putting a 472/500 and turbo 400 into a '62 or earlier cad.   http://cad500parts.com/tech/Cad5462Swapv1.1.pdfA lot of these same things will apply to the 455.
If the 455 has exhaust manifold options and a rear sump option, and if the oil filter doesn't end up dead in the middle of the crossmember, I would think it would be very possible with crossmember and engine mount modifications.
'61 Fleetwood 60- owned for 31 years
'61 Series 62 2-door - sold
'64 Series 62 2-door -sold
'67 Sedan De Ville - sold
'74 Eldorado Convertible - sold