News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

1961 390 Valve cover removal w. air

Started by MidModCad, May 18, 2021, 08:30:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MidModCad

I'm finally replacing my nasty valve cover gaskets, but am having difficulty figuring out how to get the right side cover off.  I've loosened the air cond compressor to move it out of the way, but the cover is still blocked by the rear compressor mounting bracket that swoops over the valve cover and attaches into the head. The cover can't slide forward because the front compressor bracket blocks it in that direction. I'm leery of removing the rear bracket as it looks to be sharing head bolts above the exhaust manifold (but maybe I'm wrong and they're okay to remove?)  The large front bracket can be removed, but does that open up another can of worms?  The manual doesn't have much detail on this, so any suggestions much appreciated.

Clewisiii

You have to remove that bracket. Even if you could slide forward you cannot clear the rocker arms to remove the cover. 
"My interest is in the future, because I am going to spend the rest of my life there."  Charles Kettering

MidModCad

Nice motor! So the bracket's 2 bottom bolts above the exhaust manifold are not also being used to attach the head.

Clewisiii

It is a head bolt. You will just need to retorque it.  You have one head bolt longer then the others for this point.  I told my engine shop this, I gave them the bracket and a map showing where every bolt went.  They messed it all up and I had to redo them all.
"My interest is in the future, because I am going to spend the rest of my life there."  Charles Kettering

MidModCad

That must have been disappointing. When I unbolted the bracket I discovered they were head bolts - so a re-torque is definitely in order.  Also noticed the difference in length and made sure to mark the correct locations. Thanks for the replies.