News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

1949 Fuel gauge and heater

Started by Karl Clements, May 20, 2021, 02:26:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Karl Clements

Hi,

I have just put a new wiring loom into my 49 Caddy, which has been converted from 6 volts to 12 volts (by the previous owners). Everything works except

Fuel gauge always reads full (did read okay), I have a 6 volt dropper in the line and when you touch the tank wire to earth it reads empty. Can anyone offer any assistance on this?

Also the heater has no wiring connections (as far as I can see) on the new wiring loom. I have the old fuse connector and wiring from the heater, if I put a live to this, will it work? Not had chance to try it. Again any opinions gratefully received.

Karl Clements

Derbyshire, England

Jay Friedman

It may be that the wire from the fuel gauge to the tank is frayed along its length somewhere and is grounding (touching earth) against the frame somewhere. That can cause the gauge to always read full.  This happened to my '49 years ago which I cured by running a new wire under the car from the gauge to the sending unit. 

I don't know for certain, but I think 12 volts could harm the heater coils.  12 volts would make the motors run much faster.  You can experiment with the heaters by applying 6 volts to the heater wire under the front seat and see if they work.  Does the defroster motor on the firewall work when you push down the lever marked "Upper" on the dash?
1949 Cadillac 6107 Club Coupe
1932 Ford V8 Phaeton (restored, not a rod).  Sold
Decatur, Georgia
CLC # 3210, since 1984
"If it won't work, get a bigger hammer."

V63

If it reads full...then the path is 'open'.
Check your connections at the tank and that the 'sending unit assembly'  is grounded (earth)!too. Test by adding another ground wire to the sender housing. If the sender assembly is not grounded it will read 'open'

wheikkila

Good afternoon
On your heater that might be correct not to have a wire for the heater. It most likely had it's own wire running to the back of the switch. On mine I installed a relay for the heater. now my big power draw is through the relay not my switch. I also did this on my headlights.
Thanks Wayne   

Karl Clements

Hi,

Thanks for the replies I will give them a try.

Karl