News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

Authenticity aside - Best Riding Tires?

Started by 71 Fleetwood, May 20, 2021, 03:43:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

71 Fleetwood

I have a set of new bias ply whitewalls that look perfect on my 1971 Fleetwood.  I don't like the steering as much as I like radials on my other cars.  Is anyone happy with their tires enough to recommend them? 
Thank you
1971 Fleetwood Sixty Special Brougham

The Tassie Devil(le)

I am currently using Maxxis 235 x 75R x 15's on my '72 Eldo, and prior to these I used Bridgestone radials, but as they were no longer available with the White Stripe, I had to go for the Maxxis.

Bruce. >:D
'72 Eldorado Convertible (LHD)
'70 Ranchero Squire (RHD)
'74 Chris Craft Gull Wing (SH)
'02 VX Series II Holden Commodore SS Sedan
(Past President Modified Chapter)

Past Cars of significance - to me
1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1937 Chevrolet Sports Coupe
1955 Chevrolet Convertible
1959 Ford Fairlane Ranch Wagon
1960 Cadillac CDV
1972 Cadillac Eldorado Coupe

Rich S

Diamondback can make the "correct" or "period correct" white sidewall in both the bias ply and the steel belted radial tires. You may be able to keep the correct white sidewall (resembling the factory installed 1971 Cadillac design) and get it with a radial from Diamondback. Your car looks great--'71 is one of my favorite Fleetwoods because the vinyl top is so nicely fitted around the rear window (a one year only design--later it got chrome surround molding.) Enjoy your new classic Fleetwood Brougham beauty!
Rich Sullivan CLC #11473

1971 Eldo Conv., 2013 CTS Cpe

Cape Cod Fleetwood

There are 2 kinds of cars in the world, Cadillac and everything else....

The Present -1970 Fleetwood Brougham

The Past -
1996 Deville Concours
1987 Sedan De Ville "Commonwealth Edition"
1981 Coupe De Ville (8-6-4)
1976 Sedan De Ville
1975 Sedan De Ville

The Daily Driver and work slave -
2008 GMC Acadia SLT *options/all

64\/54Cadillacking

I like my pillowy Royalton WW bias ply tires on my 64 SDV. They're cushy but they don't handle all that great. I personally don't care much for handling on the car as do about how smoothly it rides. Plus they're not ridiculously expensive like other WW radials from other companies. I believe I paid $175 or $185 each for them a few years ago. Which is affordable to me at least. I can't fathom paying over $250 for one tire that will dry rot and crack in few years.

I think by the 70's all Cadillacs ride nicely with Radials, but older Cadillacs from the 30's-60's ride best with Bias-Ply's because of how the suspension was designed for them. But if handling is your priority definitely look into some nice Radials.

Mile Star WW tires are radials and can be had for a great price. Discount Tire has them in 225/75 and 235/75 series. They have a nice proper looking WW stripe.

I am actually considering buying these for my 79 Lincoln Mark V since the tires I have on their now are garbage rough riding pieces of trash.

I found out about these Mile Stars from a guy on YouTube I believe his channel is called "Specialty Motorcars" that buys old Cadillacs specially 80's and 90's Fleetwoods and Broughams and always usually installs these Mile-Stars on his cars and says how nice they look and ride.

https://www.milestartires.com/passenger-cars/ms775-touring-sle/
Currently Rides:
1964 Sedan Deville
1954 Cadillac Fleetwood 60 Special
1979 Lincoln Mark V Cartier Designer Series
2007 Lexus LS 460L (extended wheelbase edition)

Previous Rides:
1987 Brougham D' Elegance
1994 Fleetwood Bro
1972 Sedan Deville
1968 Coupe Deville
1961 Lincoln Continental
1993 Lincoln Town Car Signature Series
1978 Lincoln Continental ( R.I.P.) 1978-2024 😞

D.Smith

Diamondback Tires.    Radials for comfort and safety.   They make them in Cadillac stripe designs. 

https://dbtires.com/product/cadillac-specialty-wall-designs/

65 & 66 triple stripe.
67 - 70 with narrow stripe outer ring.
71 - 74 with narrow stripe inner ring.
They are now even making the white and gold Royal Seal style for the early 90s Broughams.

Eric DeVirgilis CLC# 8621

Ride quality will not be as soft with radials but handling will be improved. Car will also sit slightly lower.
A Cadillac Motorcar is a Possession for which there is no Acceptable Substitute

35-709

Diamondback also has Auburn tires that are radials but are constructed to look like bias-ply if you want to keep the bias-ply look.  Diamondback does not do bias-ply tires.
1935 Cadillac Sedan resto-mod "Big Red"
1973 Cadillac Caribou - Sold - but still in the family
1950 Jaguar Mark V Saloon resto-mod - Sold
1942 Cadillac 6269 - Sold
1968 Pontiac Bonneville Convertible - Sold
1950 Packard 2dr. Club Sedan
1935 Glenn Pray - Auburn Boattail Speedster, Gen. 2