News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

Self Starter and the 1996 Cadillac line up write up

Started by chrisntam, May 21, 2021, 11:04:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

chrisntam

Great write up in the SS on the '96 Cadillacs.  I didn't know the devilles came with different engines than the fleetwoods.  I'm pretty sure I read that right...

My main takeaway from the article is that how many chart topping songs from '96 that I didn't recognize.  I think maybe only 3.  I guess I wasn't musically attentive in '96.  I do recall looking and test driving an Impala SS back then.  I really enjoy the look back at the year being written about.
1970 Deville Convertible 
Dallas, Texas

Carfreak

Not sure about other Regions but Lake St Clair members (now Motor City Region) were invited by Cadillac Motor Car to help with their Driving Experience.  I think this was done in 1994, 1995 and 1996. 

The event took place at the now defunct Pontiac Silverdome parking lot. There were two separate driving courses one included a large wet and soapy rubber pad which allowed drivers to test the difference of ABS on vs. ABS turned off (added switch on the dash).  The other course was more focused on zig-zagging around cones and turns.  I would be lying if I didn't say some participants and LSC members were timing to see how fast they could run the course. 

Owners of other makes including Lincoln, Mercedes, Buick, etc. received invitations to lunch and test drive.  The food was delicious and we got to partake too plus given hats, maybe shirts too.   After a brief explanation by Cadillac staff, participants were invited to select a car on the track.  We would drive them once around the course then they could take the wheel and drive for themselves.  As expected, the Fleetwood Broughams were very popular and often had a wait to drive them. 

Cadillac staff were available if anyone had questions about the cars but otherwise it was a very low key, non-pushy sales event.
By having LSC CLC members, we were not selling just accompanying participants.  Some would try several cars, a few even brought their own music.  Occasionally the participant would ask you to switch cars with them otherwise when they were done you'd stay in 'your' car and wait for the next participant.  One or two participants each day would get too crazy and would have to be asked to slow down.  After a while it felt like you had been on a roller coaster all day and some would have to take a break. 

My nice-weather driver at the time was a 78 Brougham D'Elegance with about 90k miles.  At the end of the day, Cadillac staff turned their heads while I took it around both courses.  For its size and age, BDE did very well.  My husband, sitting in the passenger seat, was hanging on for his life.  (He generally doesn't like to be passenger on any vehicle but rather the driver). 

The best part?  After all was said and done, Cadillac made a nice donation each year to our Region Treasury for us assisting with their event. 
Enjoy life - it has an expiration date.