News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

1962 Cruise control "perfect circle " brain unit.

Started by arch62, May 21, 2021, 05:32:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

arch62

I have a '62 CDV with a cruise unit that worked before I replaced a broken gear rack and sprocket. Now it's not working. I checked the 6A fuse. Does anyone have experience with how this can be working again. Thanks for listening.

Gary W Thorne

Hi, firstly might I suggest you remove the cover (4 screws) on the brain & then operate your controller wheel to ensure there is movement inside. When set at 30mph there should be no compression on the spring inside the brain but as you increase the speed, the spring will be slowly compressed.
   I have no idea what 6A fuse you're checking unless you've simply confirmed there is power going to the brain.
Your Shop Manual should provide trouble-shooting guidance as well, based upon symptoms presented.

Gary

Cadillac Fleetwood

Quote from: Gary W Thorne on June 05, 2021, 03:02:12 PM
   I have no idea what 6A fuse you're checking unless you've simply confirmed there is power going to the brain.
Your Shop Manual should provide trouble-shooting guidance as well, based upon symptoms presented.

The cruise control is protected by a 6-amp fuse located in the cruise control interconnecting wire harness, to the left of the steering column, near the cancel switch. It's not in the junction box.

Charles Fares
Forty-Five Years of Continuous Cadillac Ownership
1970 Fleetwood Brougham
1969 DeVille Convertible
1989 Fleetwood

"The splendor of the most special occasion is rivaled only by the pleasure of journeying there in a Cadillac"

arch62

Thanks all,No need to open the brain unit, as I unsecured the switch cable and when rotating the wheel can feel tension back and forth. Attached is the wiring diagram and underdash pix.
Could it be a bad connector? Only resort left is to test power to each portion?