News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

1925 Cadillac V63 barn Find - UPDATE - WORK BEGINS

Started by DRNOBEL, May 22, 2021, 11:38:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DRNOBEL

Thanks to everybody for the advice I received from my previous post in March about this barn find.

I've started work on this great old car by removing the starter/generator, carburetor, and cylinder heads.  Removing the starter/generator was a real SOB for this old man. It was very heavy and had to be lifted up and over the exhaust manifolds. The good news is I was able to completely disassemble the unit, clean up all the brushes and armature and checked everything out for shorts.  I replaced all the wires inside that were crumbling to pieces, reassembled the unit and then hook a battery directly to it and it works just fine.  That's the good news.  The bad news is that I dropped the motor brush control pin down into the flywheel casting.  The manual said to be careful not to do this but since I really didn't what I was looking for it happened. It took my neighbor and I half a day to pull out the floorboards, remove the housing that contained the engagement gears and by the grace of god we were able to clip the pin onto the flywheel and rotate it one tooth at a time until we could get a hold of it.

My next move is to replace the wiring I need to try and get a spark.  I also have many hours of cleanup on the valves. A couple exhaust valves are sticking so I will need to get them good and free.

Does anybody know what spark plugs I need to get? Also, does anybody know anything about the carburetor?

I've attached a few pics of what it looks like now.

Thanks for all the advice, it's been a real help. 

Kevin M. Parkinson

Congratulations on your success with the starter generator. I was very fortunate that our 1925 was driveable on the road when we bought it so I have not had to get too far into fixing things. Right now we have the water pumps out to repack.

The shop manual says the spark plug is 7/8" x 18
AC Spark Plug 78S is what we have and what I saw in an old AC catalog that I can't find right now.

I wonder if you may need me to take pictures of the linkages for the timing, choke, and throttle... or anything else. Perhaps you would like to start a thread on the restoration page.
1925 V-63B Custom Suburban
1941 Series 6719
1956 Fleetwood 75 Imperial Sedan
1967 Sedan deVille
1968 Sedan deVille
1972 Fleetwood 75 Sedan
1972 S&S Cadillac Victoria Hearse Senior #779
1980 Fleetwood Limousine
1996 Sedan deVille
2006 DTS 1SD
2018 CT6 3.0TT Platinum
2018 Escalade ESV

harvey b

If they are the same plug that a Ford Model A would take,they actually sell them at the Ford dealers,it uses a quite large sized plug?.Price is reasonable too. Harveyb
Harvey Bowness

DRNOBEL

Thanks for the info on the Spark Plugs.  When the day comes I'll know what to look for.

Kevin,

I may very well need to see a lot of pictures of your 1925 V63. Does the air pressure fuel system work OK on your V63 or have you installed an electric fuel pump?

dale

Kevin M. Parkinson

There is no electric pump. The fuel pressurizes easily manually before starting and good when running. Just let me know anything I can take pictures of anytime.
1925 V-63B Custom Suburban
1941 Series 6719
1956 Fleetwood 75 Imperial Sedan
1967 Sedan deVille
1968 Sedan deVille
1972 Fleetwood 75 Sedan
1972 S&S Cadillac Victoria Hearse Senior #779
1980 Fleetwood Limousine
1996 Sedan deVille
2006 DTS 1SD
2018 CT6 3.0TT Platinum
2018 Escalade ESV

James Landi

Hoping that those stuck valve are in the OPEN position. Great pictures--- the upper end of the engine looks to be relatively clean, free of heavy carbon deposits, and in good shape Was the engine badly stuck?  Have you removed the oil pan on the crankcase?   We've read of club members who find mice nest in there.    Thank you for sharing with us on your journey.    James

DRNOBEL

The engine was never stuck.  The two exhaust valves were in the open position. I can tap them close and then open them by cranking the engine over by hand.  I'll just keep working on these until they all work freely.

I haven't pulled the oil pan yet but will do so soon.

I think my next step is to clean the valves and get them all moving like they should and pull the inspection plates and check all the valve adjustments.

Glen

Quote from: DRNOBEL on May 27, 2021, 10:48:06 AM
The engine was never stuck.  The two exhaust valves were in the open position. I can tap them close and then open them by cranking the engine over by hand.  I'll just keep working on these until they all work freely.

That is typical of running an engine on old gas.  Clean it up and use fresh gas.  Think about using a little Marvel Mystery Oil in the gas. 
I have that same problem on a Model A engine on a weed spray car. 
Glen Houlton CLC #727 
CLCMRC benefactor #104