News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

filler gas door gasket

Started by G.Lucas #25354, May 26, 2021, 09:47:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

G.Lucas #25354

Hello, I replaced the gasket on the filler door assembly and now it goes does not close as it should. Do I need to trim the gasket to make it operate properly? If so then where does the gasket need fine tuning?
Thanks, George.

Cadman-iac

George
   It's not easy to tell without having seen it, a few pictures would definitely help. However I'll try to give you an answer. I believe you posted earlier about this, is this a '55? If so, I would start with the point where it first makes contact with the gasket. I hesitate to tell you to grind, or cut on your new gasket, because you could so more harm than good. This is your call. But that being said, I would probably use something like an Exacto knife and take very thin slices off in the area where the lamp begins to contact the housing, the "pinch point" if you will, until you get it to the point where it will close.
Before you installed the new gasket, did the lamp line up correctly with the housing? You might have an issue with the lamp itself. Is the gap even all the way around the lamp and housing? And did it close easily before you replaced the gasket?
There's all kinds of things that could have an effect on the lamp closing correctly. Is the hinge assembly loose or bent someplace?
You might want to remove the new gasket and check out how the lamp lines up on/in the housing, and whether or not you could adjust the latch to where it latches sooner, leaving a bigger gap around it  so that there's room for the new gasket.
If you're not comfortable with doing this, maybe you might want to find a good repair shop that deals with older cars and let them have a look at it and either advise you on what to do or just let them try to fix it.
I don't want to see you unknowingly damage it because you didn't see something. I don't know what your skill level is, so it's hard to advise you to do something like this.
But I hope this gives you some insight into how you can proceed. Again, pictures are a big help in any questions like this. Good luck with it, I hope it's an easy fix.

Rick
CLC# 32373
1956 Coupe Deville A/C car "Norma Jean"

G.Lucas #25354

Thanks Rick. I did have it completely apart and rechromed. It was working fine before the re-assemble after updating it. I have been working on this car for the last 14 years after doing a complete frame off restoration. However my time is limited and I only work on it when I have free time. I have a bit of time while I wait for some engine parts to come in for my diesel engine I rebuilt for my boat.
So having someone point out some known issues that they have come across on similar items helps me get it fixed quicker when time is available.  Cheers

Cadman-iac

That definitely sounds like a labor of love. I'll bet it's a beautiful car. I'd like to see it sometime.
CLC# 32373
1956 Coupe Deville A/C car "Norma Jean"