News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

Jetaway 315 Trans Front Seal Replacement Tips or Advise 56 Series 62

Started by hawkfan, May 28, 2021, 11:44:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

hawkfan

Greetings Caddy Enthusiasts,

One thing I hate are leaks on my garage floor.  This year I will tackle the trans leaks.  I have a leak at the front trans seal and a couple around the trans pan.  I replaced the pan gasket last year with moderate success stopping the leaks. 
How difficult is it to pull the trans and replace the front seal?  I have a drip coming from between the inspection plate and the bell housing.
Once I remove the trans I believe I have a better chance of sealing the pan gasket. 
I've worked on vintage Chevys all my life and I know removing transmissions on 60's & 70's models are a bear.
Any advise would be appreciated.

Thanks
Hawkfan

Roger Zimmermann

Are you sure that the oil at the rear of the engine is from the transmission? If you still have the rope seal at the engine, it may leak. I replace that seal on my cars with a rubber one from Best Gasket; the result is not 100% perfect, but much better than before.
If you want to remove the transmission to replace the seal at the flywheel housing, it can be done. You just have to lift the car high enough for the needed clearance. Drain the oil, drain the water coming from the engine, remove the drive shaft, the starter motor, disconnect the T/V rod and the one to select the gears. The support under the transmission must be removed plus other details I don't remember but are explained in the shop manual. You will have to support the engine, otherwise the distributor will push against the firewall.
The transmission is heavy, you need some device to support it. I did that job two or three time on my cars, with just jack stands to support the vehicle.
When the transmission is out, you'll have to remove the fluid coupling by removing one element after the other as it's not just pushed in like a torque converter.
Good luck!
1956 Sedan de Ville (sold)
1956 Eldorado Biarritz
1957 Eldorado Brougham (sold)
1972 Coupe de Ville
2011 DTS
CLCMRC benefactor #101

hawkfan

Thanks Roger!  The drips are redish in color.  Not looking forward to this job!!!!