News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

66 - Look Ma, no moar leaks

Started by scotth3886, May 30, 2021, 11:20:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

scotth3886

Finally, after a year and many many thousands spent, no more leaks.

We did rear main seal and steering gear box this week.  This stopped the last of them.  For how long?  Prolly not all that long, but for now, it's great.

Did oil pan gasket last summer, and I don't why I didn't think of it, but as easy as this is, should have done rear main seal then.  One good thing is engine is really clean in there so at least the former owner changed oil regularly.  We didn't remove all of the bearing caps, but the two toward the rear were in great shape. 

And another comment about the steering gear box: Steer and Gear, here in C-Bus, asked me if I wanted a bit of a performance type mod while he was resealing and rebuilding the box.  I said, how do you define that.  He said a little firmer with better feel similar to something like a mid 90s Impala SS.  I've driven those many times so I said sure.  Got the car back yesterday morning.  No fingertip power steering anymore.  Damn this steering is heavy, but true, more direct and better feel.  Much of that 'more direct' is due to the new rag joint as the original was almost torn in half when I got the car.  New box so I feel excess friction, but that will go away as the box breaks in just like it did for the similar mod in my 63 GP.  I'll revaluate what I think of the steering effort when it breaks in a bit.  I think it will work out as it's one of the top mods I did to my 63 GP. 

rajeevx7

Congrats! Not many leak free classic caddy's out there, me included. Rear main seal spins out kinda nicely as I don't think the crank is knurled back there. What to watch for next, in my experience; ps pump shaft, a/c lines (dye/oil), trans speedo nput shaft, rear diff pinion.

Having a leak free car makes it SO much more enjoyable to do under body tasks on...if there is such a thing ;)

scotth3886

Quote from: rajeevx7 on May 31, 2021, 04:32:02 AM
Congrats! Not many leak free classic caddy's out there, me included. Rear main seal spins out kinda nicely as I don't think the crank is knurled back there. What to watch for next, in my experience; ps pump shaft, a/c lines (dye/oil), trans speedo nput shaft, rear diff pinion.

Having a leak free car makes it SO much more enjoyable to do under body tasks on...if there is such a thing ;)

Cool looking 75

We did the PS pump just after I got the car.  Pinion bearings and seal was supposed to be done this time, but they didn't get to it so I'll kick that out a couple of weeks. 

We have dye in the A/C when we converted back to R12, but no signs of leaks and the system is all original. 

scotth3886

!!!!! Day three and still no leaks !!!!!  Amazed.

Not so sure that the 'firmer' power steering was such a good idea.  Rebuilder referenced mid 90s Impala SS when I asked him how firm.  I don't recall any 94-96 Impala SS this firm.  Oh well, maybe it will break in a bit as it did on my 63 GP when I did the same thing.