News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

Hydramatic rebuild books/literature ?

Started by Macabry, May 30, 2021, 01:38:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Macabry

Good day to you all,

Just a query about guides, manuals,  literature, service memos etc. Regarding the refurbishment/rebuilding and servicing of Hydramatic transmissions?

Does anyone have a go-to or must-have book about servicing these transmissions ... I'm particularly looking something to cover my '52 and I've found very little.

I'd really like to know what you folks would recommend?

Thanks,
Shane
1952 Series 62 Coupe de Ville
1988 Citroen 2cv Special

Poncholover

I picked up a used book on Ebay, it was only $20, nothing ventured...That and a shop manual should cover most scenarios? Now if hard parts need replacing, that could get difficult. Hope I never need to pull it!
Flattie Caddy

Macabry

Good point,  and there are links available to download shop manuals freely ... I definitely have '54 Cadillac manual, I've found the '52 harder to find .... there doesn't seem to be any definitive book on the subject of rebuilding hydramatics that I can find...
1988 Citroen 2cv Special

PHIL WHYTE CLC 14192

There is a reproduced manual specifically for the hydramatic. Also you will need the 51 shop manual and the 52 supplement. These transmissions were updated slightly every year.

Roger Zimmermann

During the time I had many manuals for sale, I found that the Pontiac manuals from this time had more explanation than the Cadillac books from the same period. Pontiac had several booklets, each dealing with a specific topic. In other words, there is a Pontiac manual just for the transmission.
Some time ago, there was a very good report on You Tube about the first generation Hydramatic transmission. With some search, you should find it.
1956 Sedan de Ville (sold)
1956 Eldorado Biarritz
1957 Eldorado Brougham (sold)
1972 Coupe de Ville
2011 DTS
CLCMRC benefactor #101

Macabry

Brilliant info folks 👍 ... I'm actually watching a pontiac manual on ebay as we speak  8) ... that video you mention,  I've found it a while back, its "Weberauto" ... nice an informative with a stripdown unit 👍

Thanks again
1988 Citroen 2cv Special