News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

Wiper Fluid Hose Routing

Started by hawkfan, May 30, 2021, 04:36:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hawkfan

I'm confused as to the routing of the wiper fluid routing.  Attached I've included some pics of what my current configuration is.  Pic Vac2 shows a line that comes off a tee going to the wiper motor but goes to no where as shown in VacA1.  Also.  See Wiper 3.  Not sure how to route the required connections.  How do the lines for the washer spouts at the window get routed?  I've seen some diagrams on this site but Im still not clear.
Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Hawkfan

Roger Zimmermann

The water line is going through the firewall and the tubes for the water are under the dash panel.
There is a dash pot at the gas pedal linkage; maybe the hose should go there (see the attached picture from my '56 car). You have also the antenna which is vacuum driven for the '54 and '55 models, not sure about the year from your car.
1956 Sedan de Ville (sold)
1956 Eldorado Biarritz
1957 Eldorado Brougham (sold)
1972 Coupe de Ville
2011 DTS
CLCMRC benefactor #101

hawkfan

J. Gomez

Brian,

Hope this will help you as well.  ;)
J. Gomez
CLC #23082

hawkfan

Thanks J. Gomez!  Its starting to become clearer.  I see I'm missing 38.6880 in the attached diagram.  I assume that is a washer fluid pump?  If thats the case, where can I purchase a pump?  Not that the car will ever see in-climate weather but I'd like to have everything working.

Thanks
Brian

hawkfan

Another question.  There are 2 lines facing downward in the diagram and one appears to be titled "VP Port Vac Pump" & the other titled "MAN Port Manifold".  I'm assuming the MAN Port line terminates at the intake manifold abut not sure where the VP Port terminates.  The diagram just shows them pointing downward.

Roger Zimmermann

VP = vacuum pump which is located under the oil pump and turning with it. There is a check valve behind the starter motor; if the valve is malfunctioning, the intake manifold vacuum is sucking the oil from the engine!
The part with the group number 38.6880 is the coordinator for the washer pump. This is the device which let run the wiper when you are using the windshield washer pump.
The pump itself is a vacuum device. I saw the lit from it, don't know if you have the associated parts.
1956 Sedan de Ville (sold)
1956 Eldorado Biarritz
1957 Eldorado Brougham (sold)
1972 Coupe de Ville
2011 DTS
CLCMRC benefactor #101

fishnjim

Not sure what your first question was other than how it all works?
Assuming this is circa '56, the trico wipers and squirter run off vacuum - only.  Engine vacuum varies, so there's a supplemental pump to even out the absolute pressure as demand changes.   So the "maze" of connections in the diagram gets vacuum to the right places to do the control.   
You should have a on/off/speed switch and squirt button inside on the dash or door pillar.   Those will have vacuum hoses to them going out.   Then the vacuum from the motor is branched and supplying everything - even brake booster, if equipped.   
There's a vacuum manifold near the wiper motor that everything hooks to.   Those diaphragms go bad, so a place to look if not working.   

Most of today's people haven't worked with pneumatic controls so gets a bit unwieldy.
Lots of places for leaks to appear especially as the tubing ages and just another reason why this technology was abandoned in favor of electric.   People complained when the wipers slowed down while driving, not to mention dangerous.   The first wipers were manual, so imagine having to turn the flap back and forth with one hand while driving in the rain.  Today with a iphone in the other not much driving could happen... 
Best thing to do to learn is re-tube one.   You'll either get it right or go nuts trying.
As far as I know, the pumps are not in repro, so you have to find one and rebuild if necessary.   www.wiperman.com is the "go to" guy.

hawkfan

Thank you Rodger!  Thank you Fishnjim!  I guess the best way to learn on this situation outside of the much appreciated input is to re-plumb all the vac lines.