News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

55 Model 62 Carb question

Started by wheikkila, June 02, 2021, 05:50:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

wheikkila

Hi Everyone
I'm still working on my club members car. The list is getting longer. What I need now it to know what size is the rod that holds the air cleaner on. Currently it is just a plank rod with no threads on it.
Thanks Wayne

Lexi

I own a '56. Dare I say that the rod should/could be consistent with a '55? I can't get to my car right now to check, but in a parts box I found what I think is an air cleaner rod possibly for a '56. It measures 7.75 inches in length and fits a 1/4NC20 thread die. Checked against a screw pitch gage-same. Think this is from a '56, but not 100% sure. More threads cut top side than at the other end. This should help. Perhaps cut a coat hanger or a plastic straw (with marked lengths) to test fit for depth penetration & to ensure finished piece will not protrude above the air cleaner. Then cut some threads at one end of your blank stock just to ensure that the thread pitch and diameter is correct inside the carburetor. If OK you can finish the thread cutting at the other end. Clay/Lexi

fishnjim

You can take a length of all thread (1/4") and thread into the base, put air cleaner on, and mark, then cut to length, and clean up the threads.   What one does if they change carbs.

Lexi

If you don't have access to a tap and die set to thread your blank rod, Jim's suggestion works (& if the owner is not a purist). You can buy 1/4 inch rod threaded in that size I believe. This morning I tried my spare in a '56 Rochester 4GC and that thread pitch worked fine. Rather certain that is the size you need. Clay/Lexi

wheikkila

I will be working on it tomorrow. I will let you know what I find. I will take my tab and die set with me.
Thanks Wayne

wheikkila

Update
I took the carb apart yesterday. The threads were torn out of the body. I used a hand drill to clean it up a little and then taped it and installed a 1/4 x 20 heli coil. I had a 1/4 x 20 carb rod 8 inches long in my scrap parts. Worked like a clock. I reassembled the carb. One more item off the list.  Thanks for the input.
Thanks Wayne

fishnjim

That's the name of the game when you can not go down the local parts store and get things like in the day.   Even the info, such as this small detail, is mostly gone.   Used or abused, all that's left.   Better than the alternative, made in ...
You might consider to put a dab of threadlocker on the carb end.   They have a tendency to unscrew at the carb over time as the top end gets dirtied/rusty and they vibrate.
I also screw a nut down on the carb end and lock it, but not too tight and from the top so it don't come off and cause damage.  That carb's cast aluminum.