News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

Don't just believe me on the T400 trans

Started by fishnjim, June 03, 2021, 07:51:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Tassie Devil(le)

I can attest to the vulnerability of the 4L60E transmission as I had to replace one in my road car, which is how I could afford to buy it in the first place.   The previous owner had created the problem, and nobody would buy it, except for the motor.   It would drive normally, but putting the power down, it would slip badly.   

Bruce. >:D
'72 Eldorado Convertible (LHD)
'70 Ranchero Squire (RHD)
'74 Chris Craft Gull Wing (SH)
'02 VX Series II Holden Commodore SS Sedan
(Past President Modified Chapter)

Past Cars of significance - to me
1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1937 Chevrolet Sports Coupe
1955 Chevrolet Convertible
1959 Ford Fairlane Ranch Wagon
1960 Cadillac CDV
1972 Cadillac Eldorado Coupe

TJ Hopland

Unless you are comparing it to an Allison many of the clutches in most autos seem pretty tiny but if you look at the size of I think the the 3-4 clutch in the 700/60 its pretty tiny.   I'm sure on paper it was strong enough but you add a little extra heat and some age there is no headroom so it lets go.   Can't believe how many of those even made it into 3/4 ton trucks.
StPaul/Mpls, MN USA

73 Eldo convert w/FiTech EFI
80 Eldo Diesel
90 CDV
And other assorted stuff I keep buying for some reason

James Landi

:An interesting article... especially because it provides important details about different applications, installation, and transmission maintenance.   Thanks for posting,  James