News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

Identify This Bracket From 500 Cad

Started by carlhungness, June 03, 2021, 10:01:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

carlhungness

I have an ID problem with the attached photo of this bent bracket. Cannot recall where it came from, and believe it is from my 500" Eldo engine.

mario

Hi carl:
It looks like the rear brace for the starter that bolts to the block.
Ciao,
Mario Caimotto

cadillacmike68

I don't think it's the starter bracket. I bought one recently and it does not match the part I bought. And I bought an original GM part.
Regards,
"Cadillac" Mike

bsashman

cadillacmike68, do you have a image of the bracket you have?  Have a 76 Eldo missing one.  Terrible grinding when starting, keeps breaking starters. Bell housing was cracked, had it welded.  Thanks

35-709

You can make your own, but here is one ---
https://cadillacperformance.com/product/ds20131/ 
Installs as in the picture below.

1935 Cadillac Sedan resto-mod "Big Red"
1973 Cadillac Caribou - Sold - but still in the family
1950 Jaguar Mark V Saloon resto-mod - Sold
1942 Cadillac 6269 - Sold
1968 Pontiac Bonneville Convertible - Sold
1950 Packard 2dr. Club Sedan
1935 Glenn Pray - Auburn Boattail Speedster, Gen. 2

dadscad

Looks like the bracket for a throttle return spring.??
Enjoy The Ride,
David Thomas CLC #14765
1963 Coupe deVille

carlhungness

The drawing Gary submitted shows a 90 degree bracket, not the bent one I have.
    I called Cad Co and they make the bracket that goes from the starter to the side of the engine block, and it isn't at all like the one I showed in my photo. The one I purchased fits perfectly, and I still have the twisted one, and now I do agree, it could be a throttle return spring bracket.

Big Fins

But, why the open end? This bracket was designed to be slipped in under something else and possibly slightly adjustable. Why would a return spring retainer be adjustable. When the rest of the house is out of bed, I'll take a look under the hood of mine and see what I can see and grab a picture. I'm going out for a 40F ride this morning anyway. People look at me like I'm nuts with the top down.

Always keep them guessing!
Current:
1976 Eldorado Convertible in Crystal Blue FireMist with white interior and top. (Misty Blue)
1969 Fleetwood Brougham in Chalice Gold FireMist with matching interior and top. (The Old Man) SOLD!

Past and much missed:
1977 Brougham de Elegance
1976 Eldorado Convertible
1972 Fleetwood Brougham
1971 Sedan de Ville
1970 de Ville Convertible
1969 Sedan de Ville
1959 Sedan deVille

Big Fins

Carl, I see nothing anywhere on the engine top, front, back or sides, or even the rest of the under hood that remotely resembles that bracket. Attached are pix of the throttle return spring bracket and other carb linkage on a '76, 500.
Current:
1976 Eldorado Convertible in Crystal Blue FireMist with white interior and top. (Misty Blue)
1969 Fleetwood Brougham in Chalice Gold FireMist with matching interior and top. (The Old Man) SOLD!

Past and much missed:
1972 Fleetwood Brougham
1971 Sedan de Ville
1969 Sedan de Ville
1959 Sedan deVille

Mike Baillargeon #15848

The open end of that bracket looks like it holds a couple of jam nuts....

Johns' pictures says it's not 76 500 throttle cable....

Another cable that runs around could be the E-brake cable?.....couple of jam nuts used to adjust the length of that cable?

Mike
Mike
Baillargeon

Big Fins

Nope! Not that either.  :(
Current:

Past and much missed:
1972 Fleetwood Brougham
1971 Sedan de Ville
1969 Sedan de Ville
1959 Sedan deVille

carlhungness

It appears as though I'll have to put it in the Parts Left Over bin. I do have to make a throttle return spring bracket for my Bulldog manifold,and then the chassis should be totally finished.
   My one hiccup is my '37 Chev gas tank, I'm not sure if I can snake a filler tube up to the fender without changing the filler on the tank and won't know for sure until the body is on. The body is in the shop and now just awaiting the man to finish it.

hornetball

Might be a cruise control servo bracket.  I can't pop the hood on my '74 to check until Thursday though.  Maybe someone else can take a peek?

TJ Hopland

I don't have a car handy to look at but how about a dipstick tube support?
StPaul/Mpls, MN USA

73 Eldo convert w/FiTech EFI
80 Eldo Diesel
90 CDV
And other assorted stuff I keep buying for some reason

carlhungness

No support for the dipstick, the inner tube presses into the block, so it's possible to break it off...a mechanic broke mine inadvertently. The inner tube gets bent around the crankshaft when installing too.

Big Fins

My C/C is mounted on the firewall, so no support brackets for it.

May just as well put it in the parts bin. Who knows what it may have gone to!

What did this 500 come out of and are you relatively sure the bracket came from it?
Current:

Past and much missed:
1972 Fleetwood Brougham
1971 Sedan de Ville
1969 Sedan de Ville
1959 Sedan deVille

carlhungness

Not sure where I got the bracket, that's the problem. I have the starter bolted up with the extra strap and everything else looks to be in order, so the bracket will remain a mystery.

Big Fins

Then I wouldn't lose any sleep over it.
Current:

Past and much missed:
1972 Fleetwood Brougham
1971 Sedan de Ville
1969 Sedan de Ville
1959 Sedan deVille

dadscad

Big Fins, I thought it looked something like the one on my 63 that goes under a manifold bolt.
Enjoy The Ride,
David Thomas CLC #14765
1963 Coupe deVille

Big Fins

You have a totally different engine in the '63. It looks like the later 390 or early 429. It's still using the 4 speed Hydra-Matic. The earlier 390's used a throttle return spring up in the front hooked to a small tab that was attached to the thermostat housing rear hold down bolt.
Current:

Past and much missed:
1972 Fleetwood Brougham
1971 Sedan de Ville
1969 Sedan de Ville
1959 Sedan deVille