News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

1949 Fog Lights Wiring

Started by Joe Jensen, June 03, 2021, 10:59:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Joe Jensen

I am finishing up re-wiring my '49 Club Coupe and I need to figure out the fog lights.

The park lights: is that supposed to be wired to the small bulb at the top of the fog light fixture, or is the small bulb the fog light?

The larger bulb is a dual filament bulb, one is for the turn signals (does it matter which?)  The other is either the fog light or the park light.

If the fog light is on the larger bulb, dual filament, will the fog light drown out the turn signal when the fog lights are on?

I also need to figure out the wiring on the fog light switch.  One terminal goes to the fog light wire, the other two appear to go to the same terminal of the head light switch. 

Thank you all for your help!

Joe

harry s

When the headlight switch is pulled to the first position the power should go to the fog light switch which powers either the park light or fog light. When one is on the other is off. I'm not sure about '49 but the '48 fog light switch twists. There should be wiring blocks on each front inner fender where the connections are made. Are you using a repro OEM harness or replacing from scratch?  Harry
Harry Scott 4195
1941 6733
1948 6267X
2011 DTS Platinum

Jay Friedman

The small bulb is a parking light. 

On page 200 of the 49 shop manual, under (11) Installing Electrical Accessories it says the fog light wire should be connected to the parking lamp terminal on the light switch.  The wiring for the fog lamp is shown in the wiring diagram on page 201 of the shop manual.  It's on the lower left side of the diagram. 
1949 Cadillac 6107 Club Coupe
1932 Ford V8 Phaeton (restored, not a rod).  Sold
Decatur, Georgia
CLC # 3210, since 1984
"If it won't work, get a bigger hammer."

Joe Jensen

Thank you!  That was exactly what I needed to know.  The switch wiring makes sense now and I will wire the small blub for park lights.

I really appreciate the help.

Thanks,
Joe