News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

89 fleetwood drivers window off track or clips broke?

Started by dennisspeaks, June 04, 2021, 01:58:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

dennisspeaks

On my way to a car show this evening I pushed the window switch  and just when it was just about all the way down I heard it fall off track,  Yes the motor still working. I searched this site and could not find posting on how to get the job done. 

Looks like Murphy's law got the better this time as there is five car shows this weekend  and several next weekend.  I saw some videos on youtube but none specific on taking the door panel off or specific to this vehicle.  Any guidance is appreciated.

Thanks,

Dennis
CURRENT CLASSIC CARS
1939 Cadillac
1976 Eldorado convertible
1978 Toronado XS
1994 Deville
1989 Fleetwood
1989 Town Car
1982 Mark VI

PAST CARS
1978 Biarritz
1978 Eldorado
1978 Biarritz
1978 Biarritz
1974 Eldorado - RIP
1976 Eldorado Vert
1975 Sedan d'Elegance
1990 Sedan Deville -gave to son
1988 Fleetwood Brougham - gave to daughter
1968 GTO
1965 Olds 442
1975 Caprice Classic Sold

The Tassie Devil(le)

G'day Dennis,

Firstly, you need to get a Shop Manual, and Body Service Manual for the car.   My Manuals only go up to 1982.

But, hopefully, someone will come on board and advise you which path to take, and if there are any hidden fastenings.

Bruce. >:D
'72 Eldorado Convertible (LHD)
'70 Ranchero Squire (RHD)
'74 Chris Craft Gull Wing (SH)
'02 VX Series II Holden Commodore SS Sedan
(Past President Modified Chapter)

Past Cars of significance - to me
1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1937 Chevrolet Sports Coupe
1955 Chevrolet Convertible
1959 Ford Fairlane Ranch Wagon
1960 Cadillac CDV
1972 Cadillac Eldorado Coupe

dennisspeaks

Thanks Bruce, yes that is what I am trying to avoid breaking anything.  Yes I plan on getting one cause it is not if but when something breaks.  Your work never ceases to amaze me.

Thanks my friend.
CURRENT CLASSIC CARS
1939 Cadillac
1978 Toronado XS
1994 Deville
1989 Fleetwood
1989 Town Car
1982 Mark VI

PAST CARS
1978 Biarritz
1978 Eldorado
1978 Biarritz
1978 Biarritz
1974 Eldorado - RIP
1976 Eldorado Vert
1975 Sedan d'Elegance
1990 Sedan Deville -gave to son
1988 Fleetwood Brougham - gave to daughter
1968 GTO
1965 Olds 442
1975 Caprice Classic Sold

Cadillac Fleetwood

Removal of the driver's side interior door panel is as follows:

1.  Lift the spring-loaded interior door pull (the one with the wood on it) and remove one phillips-head screw from each side, while holding up the handle against spring pressure. There are two screws.
2.  Remove the "torx" fastener in the "control cup", which is where the interior door latch is. Carefully disconnect the connector at the power door lock switch, and lay the control cup assembly aside.
3.  Using a flat blade screwdriver, insert the blade under the aft end of the master window control bezel at a slight angle and push forward. This will release the spring clip at the aft end and allow removal of this assembly. Doing this will compress/depress the padded edge of the armrest; you may want to put some tape there to prevent marring from the screwdriver.
4.  Disconnect the connectors (power windows, power seat, mirror  control) from the control panel to remove it. Lay it aside.
5.  In the space that you have just uncovered, you will see a screw at the bottom, which holds the door panel to a door brace. Remove the screw. NOTE: The door panel portion where the screw passes through is often broken from the stress of closing the door repeatedly.
6.  At the upper edge of the opening for the switch assembly, you will find two phillips-head screws, which retain the upper edge of the armrest to the door. These are black in color like the ones you removed in step one. Remove these.
7.  Remove the red warning lamp at the aft end of the armrest.  These are "plastichrome and are often quite brittle. Remove this by using a small flat-blade screwdriver to remove the lens. Then at each inside end where the bulb is, use a small tool to pull inward on the retainer while pulling outward on the lamp itself, to free it from the armrest.  The lamp unplugs. Remove the phillips-head screw you find behind the lamp.
8.  Repeat Step 7 for the white courtesy lens/lamp on the underside of the armrest.
NOTE: over years of use, and heat from the bulbs, the plastic of the lamps becomes very brittle, and the clips can and often do break off, preventing re-mounting of lamp.  If this occurs, let me know. I've stocked up on replacements because of this.
9.  Inside the space where you removed the window controls, you will see a grey cylindrical plastic bulb receptacle. Carefully position this out of the way (it is clipped to the door panel. You do not want to bend or kink the black fiber-optic line, since this conducts light to the door lock cylinder for the illuminated entry system.
10. Go around the perimeter of the panel and disengage the plastic panel fastening pins from the door shell. A broad, flat tool works, but it is easier to buy a door panel fastener removal tool from an auto parts store. Some of the fasteners may remain in the door. If so, carefully remove them from the door once the panel is off, and replace them in the panel.  All of the fasteners are the same, save one.  That one is a tiny fastener behind the raised "wing" at the forward part of the panel, adjacent to the rear view mirror.
11. Once all the fasteners are free, the panel and armrest lift off the door. The stainless trim adjacent to the door glass remains in place.

-Charles Fares
Forty-Five Years of Continuous Cadillac Ownership
1970 Fleetwood Brougham
1969 DeVille Convertible
1989 Fleetwood

"The splendor of the most special occasion is rivaled only by the pleasure of journeying there in a Cadillac"

dennisspeaks

Thanks Charles,

I appreciate this info.  Everything about this car is new to me and I didn't want to be guessing and end up breaking something no matter how small.  I have found that Murphy's Law is in full effect when working on these cars.

I have surgery tomorrow and this will give me some time to gather all the parts necessary to tackle this and find a good condition shop manual.  Thanks a million.

Dennis
CURRENT CLASSIC CARS
1939 Cadillac
1978 Toronado XS
1994 Deville
1989 Fleetwood
1989 Town Car
1982 Mark VI

PAST CARS
1978 Biarritz
1978 Eldorado