News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

Unknown system, 1941 Cadillac

Started by Roger Zimmermann, June 05, 2021, 06:28:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Roger Zimmermann

The owner from a nice 1941 coupe does not know the purpose of a system installed on his car. It's looking similar to a windshield washer but it's not. It seems that the same or a similar question appeared on this forum, but by typing "1941 Cadillac", I'm getting 59 pages of titles because both criteria are not associated in the research motor.
Here are some (not too good) pictures from the system. Apparently, the jar is broken which lead to the next question: who has one for sale?
1956 Sedan de Ville (sold)
1956 Eldorado Biarritz
1957 Eldorado Brougham (sold)
1972 Coupe de Ville
2011 DTS
CLCMRC benefactor #101

fishnjim

This year is outside my interest/experience, only what I've picked up over the years.
Since you're convinced it's not associated with wipers; based on it's location and tubing, My first impression, it's either part of an early oil filtration system or mist or drip oiler for whatever it's connected to.   As oiler, oil is atomized or metered for lubrication and conducted by tube.   Glass reservoir would be OK, no heat, no pressure.
Hot oil and glass don't mix very well.   As a filter, I would not expect a glass bowl, so maybe "improvised" or for inspection, but I have no documentation to support that assertion as others are metal. 
I'd look for any markings that might identify it.  But may have been on the original bowl or lost decal.

2manycars

That looks to me like a period accessory upper cylinder oiler system.
1964 Coupe de Ville
My Current Projects:
1957 Ford Thunderbird
1967 Chevrolet Camaro RS Convertible
My Special One:
2001 Chevrolet Corvette Convertible (bought it new)

Roger Zimmermann

Thanks for the answers. Yes, it could be an oiling system; it can be it's that I have in my mind. However, it's difficult to find that topic . I did a search with oiling system...I'll try other words...
1956 Eldorado Biarritz
1972 Coupe de Ville
2011 DTS
CLCMRC benefactor #101

harvey b

it is a oiler for the motor,they were used with Marvel Mystery oil,or another oil like that.It runs off the vacuum of the motor.You should be able to google it under marvel mystery oil upper cylinder gizmo ;D.Its a neat accesory to haveid like to have one for mine. Harveyb
Harvey Bowness

Roger Zimmermann

1956 Eldorado Biarritz
1972 Coupe de Ville
2011 DTS
CLCMRC benefactor #101

Bob Schuman

I'm with Bill and Harvey on this one. This was a somewhat common aftermarket accessory, never a Cadillac accessory, in the 40's and 50's. Just come to us old guys, we still remember the old days.
Bob Schuman, CLC#254
2017 CT6-unsatisfactory (repurchased by GM)
2023 XT5

TonyZappone #2624

A friend just bought a 1950 Oldsmobile, same mechanism.  We use to call them "top  oilers" in the day.  Injected MMO or other lubricants into the carburetor somehow
Tony Zappone, #2624
1936 Pierce-Arrow conv sed
1947 Cadillac Conv cpe
1958 Cadillac conv
2016 Cadillac CT6 Platinum
2022 Chrysler Pacifica Pinnacle

Roger Zimmermann

Thanks for the comments! Those devices were not common in Europe, but I may be wrong. I'm wondering if this accessory really improved the health of an engine...
1956 Eldorado Biarritz
1972 Coupe de Ville
2011 DTS
CLCMRC benefactor #101

fishnjim

One thing's for sure, it would gaurantee increased consumption of oil and oil sales bottom line.
I've never accepted that stuff as having any real value for the owner but pollution for the environment.    Much like a few of the high priced additives out there now.   Slick marketing.   aka; snake oil.
As I thought the MMO oiler reservoir was made of metal, so the glass is a "mystery" to here.   
This one is close.
http://www.ampcolubes.com/

Bob Hoffmann CLC#96

Roger,
Watch for an Email from me.
Bob Hoffmann
1968 Eldorado slick top ,white/red interior
2015 Holden Ute HSV Maloo red/black interior.

Too much fun is more than you can have.

Mike Josephic CLC #3877

I agree with the others this is one of the "top end oiler
systems" that were popular in the 40's - 50's.  Marvel
Mystery Oil was the usual additive.  I worked at a gas
station in the 60's and would see these from time to
time.  There were multiple versions from dozens of
manufacturers.  Whether they did anything worthwhile 
is a mater for debate but Marvel was a great additive
when sticking valve lifters were involved.

Mike
1955 Cadillac Eldorado
1973 Cadillac Eldorado
1995 Cadillac Seville
2004 Escalade
1997 GMC Suburban 4X4, 454 engine, 3/4 ton
custom built by Santa Fe in Evansville, IN
2011 Buick Lucerne CX
-------------------------------------
CLCMRC Museum Benefactor #38
Past: VP International Affiliates, Museum Board Director, President / Director Pittsburgh Region

The Tassie Devil(le)

I remember back in the 60's, my local Garage had small bottles of Upper Cylinder Lubricant, I think it was called Fire-zone, and it was added to the fuel tank when filling the car.   My dad used it, and I can remember the attendant coming up to the window and asking him if he wanted it.   Oh, and it did cost more, naturally.

These containers were very smaller versions of the oil bottles, and were constantly being refilled during the day.

Bruce. >:D
'72 Eldorado Convertible (LHD)
'70 Ranchero Squire (RHD)
'74 Chris Craft Gull Wing (SH)
'02 VX Series II Holden Commodore SS Sedan
(Past President Modified Chapter)

Past Cars of significance - to me
1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1937 Chevrolet Sports Coupe
1955 Chevrolet Convertible
1959 Ford Fairlane Ranch Wagon
1960 Cadillac CDV
1972 Cadillac Eldorado Coupe

Roger Zimmermann

Quote from: Bob Hoffmann CLC#96 on June 06, 2021, 04:50:15 PM
Roger,
Watch for an Email from me.
Bob Hoffmann
Thanks Bob, you have a positive answer to your message!
1956 Eldorado Biarritz
1972 Coupe de Ville
2011 DTS
CLCMRC benefactor #101