News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

1968 Deville convertible tail light issue

Started by Engtek, June 05, 2021, 05:21:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Engtek

Can anyone help me in locating the power feed to the tail and license plate light. All other lights are working. Particularly interested in finding Body to Chassis connector 'B'
Thanks

TCheo

Hi There,

Sorry for the late reply, was a busy weekend. I'm responding under the assumption that your '68 is similar to my '67 in body wiring. The connector from the chassis to body harness on my car is almost directly behind the parking brake pedal and it runs under the carpet. I don't remember the color of the tail lamp feed wire, but the power for that circuit should run from the light switch and then through that connector. To diagnose my rear lighting problems, I jumped power from a known 12v source to the pins on that connector (carefully, as one of those wires may be ground circuits for the courtesy lights)

This will test the connector itself, wiring, sockets, and bulbs. If you can get the tail lights on from there, your problem is with the light switch or the wiring under the dash. If they don't light from there, your problem is further back. Get some test leads, a volt meter, and a copy of a wiring diagram or factory shop manual. You can test bulbs and sockets easily enough to rule them out.

I'll check on your wire colors later on.

Good luck
Tyler
-Tyler
1967 DeVille Convertible

fishnjim

The power should feed off the fuse box to the light and brake switches.
Then from switches you'll have wires to the tail lights usually under the carpet or along the driver side. It should parallel the brake light and back-up wires.   Sometimes they ran them down along the trans tunnel or both sides.   They'll be under the padding.
The license light should branch off the rear parking light wire.  Comes on with the headlights.   Sometimes that branch is in the trunk, under the mat, or clipped along the top edge.  Take a look.  Usually a grommet license light feeds through to inside trunk.
Get(search) a copy of the '68 electrical diagram on line and it'll have the wire sizes and colors.   It won't show location just how connects and what the wires are.
Any good auto electrical shop will have the right tools/know how to check this out, pronto.   You need at least a DVM with a needle wire probe and power feed.   There's info online about how to check.   Subject books aren't that good.