News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

Correct jack for 1940 Cadillacs and La Salles?

Started by John Barry [CLC17027], June 05, 2021, 07:42:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

John Barry [CLC17027]

First, I'd guess that that same jack would work on most 1940 models, although perhaps the series 75 might be an exception. Second, I'd guess we're speaking of some sort of bumper jack, but I have no idea whether we're talking about the tripod type, the ratchet type, or something else. Some insight/guidance would be most helpful, please.

John Barry
CLC #17027
John Barry (CLC 17027)
Now-retired editor/Publisher of the Valley Forge Region newsletter, The Goddess
1940 La Salle series 50 four door sedan

Alan Harris CLC#1513

The Owner's Manual for my 1940 LaSalle has a really good picture of the jack and how to use it. You can find the 1940 Owner's Manual on the GM heritage website.

The jack looks a lot like the one that came with the VW Beetle. It works by lifting the car by pressing up on the bumper bracket. It doesn't look safe and I purposely don't keep mine in the car so I will not even be tempted to use it. The only good thing to say about it is that the 1941 jack looks worse.

z3skybolt

I have a set...

..complete proper/original jack and tool kit. I keep them for display only.  For practical purposes I carry a scissor jack and lug wrench which I will use should I ever need to change a tire.  The original is interesting....but doesn't seem safely functional.

Bob R.
1940 LaSalle 5227 Coupe(purchased May 2016)
1985 Lincoln Town Car Signature Series. Bought New.

Tom Boehm

Hello Alan, Thank you for telling about the info on the GM Heritage website. I looked up the 1940 owners manual and did not find the picture of the jack. Could there be more than one version of this book? Could you post the picture in your book? Thanks, Tom Boehm

John Barry [CLC17027]

Thanks to all. I got that general impression that the correct jack for a '40 La Salle was an engineering nightmare. Glad that was confirmed. Thinking in terms of a relatively heavy duty bottle or scissors jack with the ability to use an extended handle: getting a jack positioned under the rear axle is no mean feat in the first place, and a long handle seems to be a "must" to actuate it.
John Barry (CLC 17027)
Now-retired editor/Publisher of the Valley Forge Region newsletter, The Goddess
1940 La Salle series 50 four door sedan

Alan Harris CLC#1513

To Tom and all:

You are right. There is no picture of the jack in the manual on line.

I am 99% sure that I have seen a picture of the jack lifting the car by the bumper bracket and I can't imagine where else I might have seen it. My O.M. is around here somewhere. I will have a look and report back.

Bob Hoffmann CLC#96

Quote from: z3skybolt on June 07, 2021, 11:09:49 AM
I have a set...

..complete proper/original jack and tool kit. I keep them for display only.  For practical purposes I carry a scissor jack and lug wrench which I will use should I ever need to change a tire.  The original is interesting....but doesn't seem safely functional.

Bob R.
Bob,
Can you post a pic of the jack. I may have one.
Thanks, Bob
1968 Eldorado slick top ,white/red interior
2015 Holden Ute HSV Maloo red/black interior.

Too much fun is more than you can have.

39LaSalleDriver

I don't know if this will be helpful or not, but here are two photos I have taken from the 1939 and 1941 Shop Manuals respectively. Perhaps one of these are the same as the 1940 year models. I did not find any photos in the 1940 Accessories, or Operating Hints manuals that I have access to. I do not have the 1940 Shop Manual.
Jon Isaacson

1939 LaSalle 5019

Tom Boehm

Thanks Jon for posting the pictures. I  have never seen a 1939/1940 jack in person or in a picture. Looks like a ridiculous setup. There are actually two jacks to the system.

J. Doogla

That looks insane!
So you lift the wheel assembly itself with a climbing ratchet jack, place a stand under the axle, then attempt to remove the wheel at some point?
Wow.

Bob Hoffmann CLC#96

Guys,
The bottom 2 pics are 41 ONLY! I used them when I got my first 41.
Bob
1968 Eldorado slick top ,white/red interior
2015 Holden Ute HSV Maloo red/black interior.

Too much fun is more than you can have.

49 Sedanette

Yes, 1941 Jacks seem to be a ridiculous and dangerous setup. First you raise the car by the rim and then you add an additional support under the car and remove the rim jack, in order to change the wheels. I believe 1941 Packards used the same setup... at least mine has it.

Victor
V.Milke