News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

74 Eldorado convertible....paused top lift???

Started by danjarrett1, June 07, 2021, 07:46:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

danjarrett1

When I attempt to return my top to the up and locked position, it lifts about a third of the way before it completely stalls to a halt. The motor and relay are less than a year old, the actuators have been disassembled, cleaned thoroughly and lubricated and checked. I literally have to get in the back seat and help lift the heavy scissor top to "get it over the hump"  the motor has any affect. Any suggestions fella's???
1974 Cadillac Eldorado convertible
2007 Cadillac Escalade
1980 Cadillac Seville “Bustleback”
1985 Cadillac Eldorado

The Tassie Devil(le)

G'day Dan,

Are you running the engine at the same time in order to give the battery extra "oomph"?

Is the day cold? or warm?   A cold, stiff top material is really hard on the lift mechanisms.   One thing to consider is to allow the roof to soften under the heat of the Sun, before raising or lowering it.

One thing that these mechanisms need is completely clean terminals, and a good battery.   This is one reason I went to a 800 CCA battery.   Not stock, but really strong.

A friend of mine with a '71, finds that it helps if he increases the engine revs, when raising the roof., to give the battery a helping hand from the Alternator.

Bruce. >:D
'72 Eldorado Convertible (LHD)
'70 Ranchero Squire (RHD)
'74 Chris Craft Gull Wing (SH)
'02 VX Series II Holden Commodore SS Sedan
(Past President Modified Chapter)

Past Cars of significance - to me
1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1937 Chevrolet Sports Coupe
1955 Chevrolet Convertible
1959 Ford Fairlane Ranch Wagon
1960 Cadillac CDV
1972 Cadillac Eldorado Coupe

danjarrett1

Yes, I do run the engine at a higher RPM, battery is a few years old but putting out well. Not sure what the CCA rating  is for  the battery.  Probably do need to check for good ground but thought I had that taken care of. Temps are in the 70's and 80's and top is sun soaked and pliable. I know it's a heavy contraption for sure. Thanks fir your ideas
1974 Cadillac Eldorado convertible
2007 Cadillac Escalade
1980 Cadillac Seville “Bustleback”
1985 Cadillac Eldorado

MaR

The two rods that help push the main arms straight are out of adjustment and are binding up.

hornetball

Recommend looking at MaR's build thread.  He did an extensive and excellent write-up on restoring/installing/adjusting a new top.