News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

Vacuum Antenna Replacement

Started by wheikkila, June 01, 2021, 06:23:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

wheikkila

Does anyone know if anyone makes an electric replacement antenna for my 1940 LaSalle. I would be grateful for the information.
Thanks Wayne 

Mike Josephic CLC #3877

There are many "universal fit" electric antennas
out there for replacement but most are for 12
volt systems.  You would need something that
works with 6 volts.

You may have to settle for a manual operating
antenna that you have to pull up or down to
adjust it. Here is an example:
https://www.summitracing.com/parts/gmk-3020-170-64s?seid=srese2&utm_source=bing&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=Brands+|+G&utm_term=4582008552122240&utm_content=GSAPI1

Mike
1955 Cadillac Eldorado
1973 Cadillac Eldorado
1995 Cadillac Seville
2004 Escalade
1997 GMC Suburban 4X4, 454 engine, 3/4 ton
custom built by Santa Fe in Evansville, IN
2011 Buick Lucerne CX
-------------------------------------
CLCMRC Museum Benefactor #38
Past: VP International Affiliates, Museum Board Director, President / Director Pittsburgh Region

wheikkila

Hi Mike
I have converted my car to 12 volts when I installed my new wiring harness. I have not found any that will fit my car. I have made thirty phone calls with no luck. So if you have a contact that would be great.   
Thanks Wayne

Mike Josephic CLC #3877

Check my post -- I listed one possible source.  These can be
found on E-Bay from many sources or from most internet
parts suppliers.

Mike
1955 Cadillac Eldorado
1973 Cadillac Eldorado
1995 Cadillac Seville
2004 Escalade
2011 Buick Lucerne CX
Past: VP International Affiliates, Museum Board Director, President / Director Pittsburgh Region

wheikkila

Hi Mike
I looked at that post. That antenna has the newer style antenna plug. My radio has the old style.
Thanks

Mike Josephic CLC #3877

You should get in touch with one of the companies that specialize
in antique radio repairs.  A quick Google search:
https://www.vintagecarradio.com/blog/classic-car-radio-repairs/

This is not complicated stuff -- provided you radio is in working
order, replacing the antenna is not a big deal.  Since you're not
interested in an authentic vacuum operated antenna this is easy.

Mike
1955 Cadillac Eldorado
1973 Cadillac Eldorado
1995 Cadillac Seville
2004 Escalade
2011 Buick Lucerne CX

wheikkila

It started out to be simple. I sent my radio out to be converted to 12 volts and add fm. Since the radio was being fixed I thought I would send  my antenna out to be rebuilt. The radio came back. but the antenna got lost in shipping. The main problem I did not upgrade to the new style antenna inlet on my radio. That is the problem. Now I have two choices. Find a early antenna or send my radio back and have the antenna plug upgraded to the new style. I have called 14 radio restoration or repair company's who all gave me someone else to call. what it has come down to is. The radio repair company's don't deal in old antennas. I have even called some restoration shops. Most told me they upgrade the antenna plugs on most cars. they said nobody can see them. What I'm hoping is the post office will find my package. So much for their tracking point to point. But in the end I will probably send my radio back and up grade to a new style antenna plug. I have been trying to preserve the car as much as possible.