News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

Is this the correct trunk? 1957 75 Fleetwood

Started by charles in Dallas, June 09, 2021, 06:16:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

charles in Dallas

I bought the car not put back together, but was told all the parts came with the car. Now, I am not even sure this is the correct trunk lid- please see photo. I dont know 57 Cadillac's, I have not seen a car with trim on the bottom lip.
Also missing all the latch and springs, so I am not sure anything is correct.
Thanks for sharing your knowledge,
Charles in Dallas
Charles D. Major Jr.

Lexi

Good question, but tough to tell from the photo and details provided. Not even sure what model of Cadillac you have bought. I think the 1957 Fleetwood 60 Special had narrow trim that ran across the entire bottom edge with a pair of back up lenses (?) that were mounted up on the trunk lid's sheet metal. The other models I thought were plain. Is your car a 60 Special? Other possibility is that what you may have are holes that once held fasteners for a dealer name plate which is now missing. If they are absent from the other end that may explain why. Hard to tell but looks like holes are at other end as well. If so, first guess is that Fleetwood 60 Special trim is missing along with what I think were 2 rectangular back up lenses. There should also be holes in the center for the "V", lock, & Fleetwood letters. Are they there? Hard to tell in the photo. Clay/Lexi

Edit: Wonder if a '58 Fleetwood trunk lid would fit? That lid had as I recall a large swath of chrome trim along the bottom of the trunk lid. As your car was in pieces anything is possible. The '58 Eldo Biarritz had some badging in the lower LH corner of the trunk lid, but it's shape I believe is radically different from the lid in your photo.

The Tassie Devil(le)

'72 Eldorado Convertible (LHD)
'70 Ranchero Squire (RHD)
'74 Chris Craft Gull Wing (SH)
'02 VX Series II Holden Commodore SS Sedan
(Past President Modified Chapter)

Past Cars of significance - to me
1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1937 Chevrolet Sports Coupe
1955 Chevrolet Convertible
1959 Ford Fairlane Ranch Wagon
1960 Cadillac CDV
1972 Cadillac Eldorado Coupe

Lexi

That will teach me to read these posts without my glasses! My buddy has a '57 Series 75 and I do not believe there is any chrome trim along the bottom. His car is a stock survivor. That said, as this poster's car was in pieces perhaps the trunk lid came from another model from that year. If these holes in the lid are factory, then perhaps the car took a hit in the past and all they could find for parts was a lid from a 60 Special (or dare I say even a '58 60 Sp or a Limo?). I also don't think the '58 Limo had extra chrome down there and looked rather like the '57. I have no idea as to the interchangeability of these parts, but Limos often had short deck lids.

As for his missing trunk/latch hardware, he will first have to determine whether his car originally had the power assist trunk. That would dictate what pieces he will have to look for to put it back together in working order. If in '57 the power assist trunk came with a red warning light on the dash, that would indicate that it was there originally. I imagine that there was probably a trunk lid opener in the glove box with a solenoid in the lid itself. Not sure what the data plate code would be for that option. If Charles requires any of these parts I can probably put him in touch with someone who has them for sale. Clay/Lexi

Edit: if the holes are only on one side my guess is that there was once a dealer name plate there that is now missing.

fishnjim

The trunk should have "fleetwood" letters above the V.  (Holes for them)  There's no bottom chrome on either the 75 limo or 60 special in '57.   My opinion, trunk is from some other vehicle, or was modified.   Holes can be "easily" filled in.
The 60 special has recessed rectangular back-up lights on each side of the trunk lid.

https://newcadillacdatabase.org/static/CDB/Dbas_txt/Phocad57.htm

You can tell from the VIN what you got.   '57 it's all numbers.   Starts 5775xxxxx if it's fleetwood.   That's also in the above database, different page

One of the issues with buying projects.   Have to take that in consideration in the price.   

charles in Dallas

I sure did not think I was buying this level of a project!
There are 7 very factory looking holes along the edge and rust along the edge from where the trim had been.
The car is all painted very nice, finding the right chrome would be a much quicker answer. There is no rubber on the car so I need to do some adjusting to ensure it really fits.
Hollander says the following fit the 1957 75:
1. 1957-1958 62 4 Dr Sdn.
2. 1957 Buick Super
3. 1957 Buick Roadmaster 4 Dr Hard Top

Thanks for the help.
- Charles in Dallas
Charles D. Major Jr.

charles in Dallas

VIN 57-7523X
Trim 90
Paint 10
Top ACC. H
Charles D. Major Jr.

Lexi

That Hollander interchange info is interesting. Makes sense as Limos back then had short decks, hence the interchange info. The thin chrome trim along the bottom of a '57 60 Sp which I have seen was not bolted on but snapped in place after checking photos. Must have been an aftermarket chip guard based on fishnjim's observations and not OEM. He is correct in that there is no trim there on the S 75. If you don't have the mounting holes for the rear badging (and keyhole) that we mentioned, it was either patched over, or this lid is from another car. I would be looking more closely to what patch work might have been done to cover up any of these holes.

If of any help I could get a really good shot of the V and Fleetwood letters and key hole area, with a scale, of my buddies '57 Limo next time I see his car and post. Would be easier if this lid is from your car and the holes have just been covered up.

If your car had a power assist trunk (and the pull down unit is missing), and you opt to install a regular latched trunk lid instead, you may have issues in getting it to work. I believe the latching mechanism is part of the pull down motor, at least it is on a '56. If removed, I am not certain what your lid can latch onto. Obtaining parts from a non optioned car may not work, at least short of engaging in some metal fab work and perhaps even some minor welding. I have not done this kind of retrofit change, so perhaps others can chime in. I would research that and ensure that the lid you have will work as planned, or correct all so there are no surprises down the road. If it were me I would want to work with all OEM parts as they have known properties and less chances for ugly surprises. Clay/Lexi

Clay/Lexi

dn010

I had to modify my original message. Your deck (trunk) lid is the same as the 1957 Cadillac Sedan DeVille (6239DX), there is a trim strip that runs along the bottom on that model only. As far as I THOUGHT, all other models for this year has a lip bent into the trunk already, I do not know why they could not have done same with the Sedan. However, after looking up photos of the 75 limo, there is indeed the same trim strip on those decklids as well. Finding this strip was a PITA and I had to make my own fasteners for it. I hope this info and photos help.

1957 Sedan DeVille decklid and trim strip:

-----Dan Benedek
'57 Cadillac Sedan Deville 6239DX
'81 DMC DeLorean

charles in Dallas

Thanks so VERY much for the photos, I feel less crazy now.
So that trim was painted is would seem, I had assumed stainless. Boy, I wish I was right.

Michael from Cadillacville send me this note this morning. "Yes some 1957 models had a piece of trim on the bottom of the trunk lid, if yours has holes then I would have to assume yours has the molding. Unfortunately I have to tell you this piece is near impossible to find. The last couple I sold were badly rusted out with rust holes."

I have also seen photos of other 1957 75s that do not have the V on the trunk, very strange.
Charles D. Major Jr.

dn010

Yes, I too contacted Michael this morning looking for another strip he might have by chance. You can see the one in my photo has a very good amount of filler on it. He is correct in that they are difficult to find; any time I find a Sedan, this strip is the first thing I notice that is missing and I don't understand why since they cannot be used on Coupes which seems to outnumber sedans on the road. My only guess is that they're very prone to rusting out and need replacing. They are painted to match the exterior color and these are such thin metal that I would suggest a very good job of rust proofing the inside of it.

Then, once you do find one, you will need specialty fasteners to hold them on! http://forums.cadillaclasalleclub.org/index.php?topic=164449.0

In regards to your latching mechanism, or lack there of, the power assist was an option so that means you can still get a standard latch and lock that will mount in your trunk. I would guess yours came with that option and someone removed it to make a few bucks, you'd be able to tell this is the case if there is wiring where the latch would be inside the trunk (not on/in the lid). I would look to replace the power assist if you find evidence that it was there to begin with. Otherwise, you'll have to look for lock/latching mechanisms that were standard from 1957 and those should be plentiful (a set is on ebay currently from Canada).
-----Dan Benedek
'81 DMC DeLorean

dn010

Also, once you do find someone who has this strip, I would plead with the seller to not bend the trim strip in order to release it from the fasteners on the trunk! The fastener hardware is rusted and the person removing the strip takes a shortcut of prying up on the trim which makes it all sorts of distorted and wavy; not ideal when you're trying to go for a nice straight, sharp look and if you're not restoring this piece yourself, it will take a lot of time ($$$) for someone to straighten it out. Typically yards have torches and all they need to do is hit 7 screw/bolt heads quickly enough to remove the trim and not damage anything.
-----Dan Benedek
'81 DMC DeLorean