News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

Wheel studs and nuts

Started by David9465, June 15, 2021, 01:58:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

David9465

Hi. Looking for advice on where to purchase new quality studs and nuts for my 1973 Coupe de Ville. I've read about some of the inferior quality ones sold at the common parts stores — where you purchase higher quality ones? Thanks.
Nashville
1973 Cadillac Coupe de Ville

signart

Fastenal carries quality products, but they may not have reference to your particular application. You would most likely have to supply them with the correct dimensions and thread pitch, or carry one with you to the store.
Art D. Woody

The Tassie Devil(le)

These studs should be available at racing parts suppliers, as they are special, and need the serrations at the head to hold them in place.   The ones from these places will probably need to be trimmed, as they usually have longer studs, which is a requirement for racing, plus, don't forget that Buick, Oldsmobile and Pontiac could be the same, as they also use the 1/2" UNF thread pitch.

The back should be different to the front, as the front is a disc brake hub, and the rear, an axle flange.

Bruce. >:D

PS.   One question though.   What is wrong with yours?
'72 Eldorado Convertible (LHD)
'70 Ranchero Squire (RHD)
'74 Chris Craft Gull Wing (SH)
'02 VX Series II Holden Commodore SS Sedan
(Past President Modified Chapter)

Past Cars of significance - to me
1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1937 Chevrolet Sports Coupe
1955 Chevrolet Convertible
1959 Ford Fairlane Ranch Wagon
1960 Cadillac CDV
1972 Cadillac Eldorado Coupe

Mike Baillargeon #15848

Napa stores have these.....but I don't know where they were made....

Assume the worst.....but I haven't had a problem ever with the lugs or nuts....

https://www.napaonline.com/en/p/NDP6411137?partTypeName=Wheel+Bolt+-+Rear&impressionRank=1&keywordInput=lug

Mike
Mike
Baillargeon

David9465

Thanks all. I appreciate your assistance.
Nashville
1973 Cadillac Coupe de Ville

The Tassie Devil(le)

Boy, I hope that any studs they supply aren't as rough as the ones in the description picture.

Bruce. >:D
'72 Eldorado Convertible (LHD)
'70 Ranchero Squire (RHD)
'74 Chris Craft Gull Wing (SH)
'02 VX Series II Holden Commodore SS Sedan
(Past President Modified Chapter)

Past Cars of significance - to me
1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1937 Chevrolet Sports Coupe
1955 Chevrolet Convertible
1959 Ford Fairlane Ranch Wagon
1960 Cadillac CDV
1972 Cadillac Eldorado Coupe

fishnjim

ARP is making studs and nuts and should have them top of the line, top of the price.
I don't recall where I got mine, as I switched from left hand to common right on the drivers side.   Probably NAPA(local) or Summit Racing.   But anything would've been better than what was on there, missing and stripped, etc..  Some genius tire jockey put the big impact on the left hand threads the wrong way.   
I use 1/2" lug nuts by the box with this many trailers, etc.   I keep spare studs for road kills but they usually come from the trailer maker.  Don't seem to have had any issues with quality.
I didn't know they had disk in '59?   Was that one converted?   First I thought was '67 Eldo... 
I had to have them pressed out/in as I didn't have a press at the time.   So be aware of that little procedure jewel. 
On my trailer hubs, I turn a lug nut upside down on a washer and pull them through flush, but couldn't get the old ones out.