News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

1980 cadillac eldorado san remo convertible

Started by Bumpy Johnson, June 16, 2021, 05:25:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bumpy Johnson

I've stumbled upon this 1980 cadillac eldorado  convertible.  I've never seen this conversion. I think its a San Remo convertible. How do I know for sure? And if so whats the value?

V63

It's not specifically a "San Remo", due to appearances and all production ceased concluding a fire in 1979.

James Landi

Looks to have great potential... love that model convertible-- owned two, and if it has the "right" engine, it is a very durable and terrific looking convertible.  Lots to recommend it.  James

76eldo

It's a custom chop but does it have a functional top and quarter windows ?
Don't get too excited until you make sure that it can be used with a top amd rear side windows unless you don't care about that.
It also appears to have been shortened since there is no rear seat.
Brian Rachlin
Huntingdon Valley, Pa
I prefer email's not PM's rachlin@comcast.net

1960 62 Series Conv with Factory Tri Power
1970 DeVille Conv
1970 Eldo
1970 Caribu (?) "The Cadmino"
1973 Eldorado Conv Pace Car
1976 Eldorado Conv
1980 Eldorado H & E Conv
1993 Allante with Hardtop (X2)
2008 DTS
2012 CTS Coupe
2017 XT
1956 Thunderbird
1966 Olds Toronado

V63

It appears to have a portion of rear seat? moreover,  in a Biarritz tufted style? Also appears to have had a Biarritz roof given 2" of stainless  remaining? But front seat is standard Eldorado? If it has the 5.7 engine it's of California origin, that appears to be the case as well?

Bumpy Johnson

It has a backseat but its a small bucket. I will send more pics soon. Nothing was cut. All original

Bumpy Johnson

Bumpy Johnson

Its a bucket seat. I've only seen 1 car on Google with this cut

Bumpy Johnson

Not a biarritz. Back seat is shorter

76eldo

Look at the space between the door opening and the rear wheel opening.
Looks shortened to me. That's not a full depth rear seat.
I'd guess that there are no quarter windows and the top sides start right after the door glass.
Not saying it's a bad thing but definitely a custom job and one of just a few like it.
If it runs well and you like it, go for it.
Brian Rachlin
Huntingdon Valley, Pa

1970 DeVille Conv
1970 Eldo
1976 Eldorado Conv
1980 Eldorado H & E Conv
2008 DTS
2012 CTS Coupe
2017 XT
1956 Thunderbird
1966 Olds Toronado

Bumpy Johnson

Ok cool thx for the input sir. Do you know how much it may be worth?

Bumpy Johnson

Yes its no back side glass and the top starts right after the door. I already bought it. I just want to see the worth before I do too many modifications.

76eldo

The strength is in the drivetrain.
It's an Eldorado built between 79-85, it's a convertible and it doesn't have the 4100 engine.

I hope you bought it "right".
If I were trying to sell it I'd try to get $7500 or better. Really depends on how nice it all cleans up and drives.
I hope you got it for $4000 or less.

There's an honest answer.
Brian Rachlin
Huntingdon Valley, Pa

1970 DeVille Conv
1970 Eldo
1976 Eldorado Conv
1980 Eldorado H & E Conv
2008 DTS
2012 CTS Coupe
2017 XT
1956 Thunderbird
1966 Olds Toronado

Bumpy Johnson

I paid 6k for it. And it runs good. Just needed a tune up

jdemerson

Quote from: Bumpy Johnson on June 17, 2021, 02:26:13 PM
Yes its no back side glass and the top starts right after the door. I already bought it. I just want to see the worth before I do too many modifications.

Brandon,

We would like to know more about it, as you find out more.

It is a 1980 Eldorado because that is the only year that had the Cadillac-made 368 engine in an Eldorado.

It is shortened with a section cut out just behind the doors. It is NOT a San Remo, as those conversions were not shortened

It may or may not be a one-off custom, but my guess is that it is a product of one of the companies that made conversions of Eldorados and Sevilles.

It could be an Alpine Edition Eldorado made by Global Coach and Armor Manufacturing, Inc. of Orlando, Fl. Those models were shortened. But the lower body side trim doesn't appear to be what is shown in the sales brochure. Other such companies are likely.

There were companies that started with 1976-79 Seville Sedans, and shortened them and (in some cases) turned them into roadsters.

• Grandeur Motor Car Corporation, Pompano Beach, FL
  • Milan Coach Builders of Simi Valley, CA
I don't know whether Grandeur or Milan converted any 1979-1980 Eldorados to shortened roadsters.

I'm mentioning only companies that turned Eldorados and Sevilles into shortened convertibles. Other companies did various conversions, for example, the Gucci models and the San Remo.

I would be very surprised if 6 K was too high a price for a well-running convertible with the 368, and shortened in the mid-section. I suspect you did OK if not quite well...

I'd love to know just what your Eldorado is! I suspect that others who read this will be able to add more information.

John Emerson
John Emerson
Middlebury, Vermont
CLC member #26790
1952 Series 6219X
http://bit.ly/21AGnvn

76eldo

Sounds like a good investment.
If you like it and drive it it's a fantastic investment.
I really like mine. I have a 1980 Hess and Eisenhardt convertible in black wit a black top and a red leather interior.
It has NOS wire hubcaps and a set of Vogues on it.
Has the beautiful 1980 grille in nice shape.

I don't get to drive it much but when I do I always remember why I have it and that I'll probably never sell it.

My car is one of an estimated 50 Eldorados done by Hess in 1980.
I got that approximate figure from a guy that still works for the company that is still in business and is the successor to Hess and Eisenhardt.

Your car was likely made by one of the companies mentioned in a previous post.
Good luck with it and hope you enjoy it.
Brian Rachlin
Huntingdon Valley, Pa

1970 DeVille Conv
1970 Eldo
1976 Eldorado Conv
1980 Eldorado H & E Conv
2008 DTS
2012 CTS Coupe
2017 XT
1956 Thunderbird
1966 Olds Toronado

81 BENY Biarritz

Seems to me to be basically the same car (other than model year) as this one.   I don't believe that blue over yellow was ever a Cadillac Eldo two tone option and normally you wouldn't see the lighter colour on the bottom of the body under the darker one.   Dave

http://forums.cadillaclasalleclub.org/index.php?topic=164722.0

jdemerson

Quote from: 81 BENY Biarritz on June 18, 2021, 06:07:47 AM
Seems to me to be basically the same car (other than model year) as this one.   I don't believe that blue over yellow was ever a Cadillac Eldo two tone option and normally you wouldn't see the lighter colour on the bottom of the body under the darker one.   Dave

http://forums.cadillaclasalleclub.org/index.php?topic=164722.0
Yes, the 1982 Eldorado convertible in Dave's link is a model modified and sold by Global Coach of Orlando. The 26K mileage posted looks plausible. I suspect that the 1980 Eldorado Convertible in Mr. Johnson's O.P. was also from Global Coach, but I'm not certain of that.

John Emerson
John Emerson
Middlebury, Vermont
CLC member #26790
1952 Series 6219X
http://bit.ly/21AGnvn

James Landi

"I paid 6k for it. And it runs good. Just needed a tune up"

Bumpy --- You got THE REAL DEAL !!!  I spent 5K to convert my 85 convertible's engine to a small block Olds 8 years ago... and that 5K was for parts, the labor was free.   Take good care of your car.  I would have GLADLY paid twice the price simply to avoid the experiences I endured with  4100 engines if I were in the market for one.   These are durable, wonderfully riding cars.  Maintain it well and keep it out of the weather.       Happy day, James