News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

1959 Cadillac lights out issue

Started by Paul, June 17, 2021, 09:50:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Paul

Hey, looking for any guidance here. I rebuilt my light switch and put it back together the way I took it apart. When I turn my lights on after about 15 or 20 seconds they go out. I still have my autronic eye connected but it doesn't work. If I disconnect it will  this resolved my issue? If I did this how would I make my lights work? Currently, my highbeams and low beams are on at the same time. I can't shut my highbeams off. Any assistance would be appreciated. Thank you.
59 Caddy, Seminole Red with Dover White top

D. Mailan

Hello Paul,

I have a couple questions that would be helpful if you clairfy first.

Were any of the issues you have now happening before you rebuilt the headlight switch?

Which lights are going out exactly? Is it the head lights, park and running lights, instrument lights, or all of them? Do the lights cut out in both halfway and full poisition of the head light switch?

If only the headlights are cutting out, the autronic eye system is probably at fault. But if all of your lights (Headlight, park/running, and dash) are all turning off, then it is probably the internal circuit breaker of the headlight switch. Hopefully others will pitch in.

Good luck,
Derick

Paul

That seems to have fixed it. I need to take a closer look at the autronic eye system. Thank you.

Paul

I thought I had fixed the issue however when running all lights are on then after about 5 mins all lights go out - headlights, dash, parking, everything. When it cools, lights back for about 5 mins then out again. Appears to be the internal light switch circuit breaker. I took the switch apart and cleaned it and reassembled. Seemed to work ok at first. This did not happen before I cleaned it.  Any thoughts on what could be going wrong? Why would the internal circuit breaker activate? Is the switch over heating? What could cause that? I replaced the wiring connection with the same type connector. No autronic eye connected. There is a foot switch. If high beams are on, doesn't make a difference, if lights go out, stepping in the switch does nothing. Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Poncholover

Something is drawing too much current. Perhaps whatever caused the initial failure?
Maybe just 1 circuit or all in combination...
By pulling fuses, perhaps you can isolate or narrow it down.
Or try another switch...
Gotta love old cars :)
Flattie Caddy

The Tassie Devil(le)

I have never heard of the internal circuit breaker working like that.   Very slowly.

When I had it happen to me in another GM car, the lights flicked off and on really fast, but as it is intended to do, didn't completely turn the lights off, giving me time to pull over to the roadside, then turn the lights off manually.

Yours being so slow would indicate to me that the overloading is so light, that the heating of the bi-metallic spring is really slow, BUT, the cooling down time should result in the lights coming back on really fast.

Could be something you did when you had the switch apart?   Or improperly reassembling it?

Have you increased the wattage of any of the lights?

Bruce. >:D
'72 Eldorado Convertible (LHD)
'70 Ranchero Squire (RHD)
'74 Chris Craft Gull Wing (SH)
'02 VX Series II Holden Commodore SS Sedan
(Past President Modified Chapter)

Past Cars of significance - to me
1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1937 Chevrolet Sports Coupe
1955 Chevrolet Convertible
1959 Ford Fairlane Ranch Wagon
1960 Cadillac CDV
1972 Cadillac Eldorado Coupe

JayRudig390

Had the exact same problem. Solved it by replacing the headlight switch and for extra precaution installed a relay harness system.