News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

1940 lasalle 6 door

Started by Brian99, June 18, 2021, 07:51:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Brian99

I'm in the process of restoring a 1940 lasalle 6 door and was wondering if anyone has any information on these cars? I found some paperwork in the glovebox saying it was used for a hotel in Canada and can't find any other information on this car. Thanks

Tom Boehm

Hello Brian, I can help you a little bit. Do you know what company built the custom body on the Lasalle chassis? Most probably your car was built on a series 50 commercial chassis. What is the wheelbase of your car?

I am restoring a 1940 Lasalle woodie station wagon. While researching mine I came across some mentions of steel cars like yours. The woodie body on mine was made in 1940 by the Meteor Motor Car Co. of Piqua Ohio. Their main product line was hearses and ambulances built on Cadillac and Lasalle 159" wheelbase commercial chassis. I have seen pictures of a series of 8 door 1940 Lasalles by Meteor called "airport limousines". Other hearse builders made these also. Meteor also built an 8 door 1940 Lasalle woodie also.

The "build sheet" for your car is available from Cadillac archives if you send them the VIN number. It will tell which company the commercial chassis was sent to for a custom body.

I can also help you with mechanical information. There are subtle but important differences between a regular Lasalle and a Lasalle commercial chassis.

Brian99

Thank you for you reply. I'm gonna send the vin number to Cadillac archives.  The wheel base is 159 inches. The car drives great and only has 8,255 miles.  It was sitting forever and all I did was change fluids, rebuilt carb,  fuel pump, wheel cylinders and radiator so far. I'm very interested to know the subtle differences between the regular lasalle and commercial chassis.  Thanks Brian

Tom Boehm

There is information on how to obtain the build sheet for your Cad/Lasalle on the Cadillac and Lasalle Club website. Are there any nameplates for a custom bodybuilder on the car? Maybe on the firewall or in the door jambs?

A commercial chassis was a special product built by Cadillac for the hearse and ambulance industry. The long frame was built at the factory with 159" wheelbase and not extended by the bodybuilder. A normal Lasalle had a 123" wheelbase and one drive shaft. The commercial chassis was so long it had two driveshafts with a carrier bearing in between the segments.
In 1940 Cadillac also built a Cadillac series 72 commercial chassis. The normal series 72 Cadillac was a 4door sedan limousine. The 75 series Cadillac was their luxury limousine. The series 72 Cadillac had heavier suspension and brake parts than the Lasalle.

Basically, the Lasalle series 50 commercial chassis was a 72 series chassis with Lasalle sheet metal. The Lasalle C.C. , the 72 Series C.C. and the 72 series Cadillac all used the same chassis parts. For example, the Lasalle had 2" wide brake shoes and drums but the C.C. used 2 1/4" shoes and drums. The Lasalle used a 3.92 to 1 rear end gear ratio but the C.C. used 4.31 to 1 ratio. There are many other differences.

I bought a reprint of the 1935-1949 Cadillac Master Parts Book to identify the differences. Every part on the car is listed along with all the other Cadillac and Lasalle cars that used that part.

Another hint for finding parts is that the new for 1940 72 series Cadillac body and chassis became the 1941 series 75 Cadillac. This body was used on the series 75 until 1949. That means 40-72 and 41-49 75 had many chassis parts in common. This helped when I was looking for the correct gas tank. By the way, 1940 Lasalle had a 24 gallon tank and the C.C. had a 26 gallon tank.

I have researched this a lot and I would be happy to help you with questions in the future.

Caddieman53

Here's a photo of the 41 Cadillac Commercial Chassis and how they were shipped. Notice how beefed up the rear leaf springs are.
P. W. Allen

53 Cadillac Coupe 6237X
Twin Turbine

Tom Boehm

Speaking of rear springs,...   A normal 40 Lasalle had 9 leaves and a commercial chassis had 11.

Also Brian, I noticed your car has the standard steering wheel. Commercial chassis came with the standard steering wheel. Many Cadillacs and Lasalles have the optional upgrade art deco banjo steering wheel.

Brian99

I couldn't find any nameplates so far. Thanks you for all the information.  I'm waiting to get the build sheet.  Just out of curiosity what engine oil do you recommend. The motor hasn't been rebuilt and low miles?  Thanks again for all the information.

Jim Stamper

It has lines very similar to the Yellowstone, Glacier and other park tour rides. They usually are usually a bit longer. Many were " White " truck sourced and quite a few still exist, still soldiering on touring in places like Skagway, Alaska.

A search would probably find several to compare with the possibility of the coach builder identified in  the process.  Jim Stamper #13470

Brian99

This was taped on the rear window when I purchased. 

James Landi

Hi Brian,

YOu've an extraordinary FIND!  Your concern about oil type also focuses on overall maintenance
and this concern is well placed.  While the car has few miles and still runs very well, making certain not to stress it is a first priority.  Do you have any maintenance records that tell you when oil, coolant, and, yes, differential fluid were changed.  How about the brakes?   Of concern is the radiator--- scale and rust can create overheating and seriously damage an otherwise well running machine.  My suggestion: start new "topics" on this site that address each of these major mechanical areas-- there are many folks who have experience and a good deal of wisdom on each of these topics, and I urge to you raise the questions before you tackle any of the perservation and maintenance projects--- hope this helps you, and please do keep us in the loop.  YOu have a rare gem in your care.   Respectfully  James

Brian99

I didn't find any maintenance records.  I had the brake master cylinder and wheel cylinders rebuilt.  I had the radiator flushed.  Also changed the spark plugs. Also changed the oil and checked all other fluids.  I've bought 2 air cleaner assemblies for a 1940 lasalle and neither have fit. Thanks again for everyone's replies. Brian. 

35-709

That write-up deserves to be up-right.
1935 Cadillac Sedan resto-mod "Big Red"
1973 Cadillac Caribou - Sold - but still in the family
1950 Jaguar Mark V Saloon resto-mod - Sold
1942 Cadillac 6269 - Sold
1968 Pontiac Bonneville Convertible - Sold
1950 Packard 2dr. Club Sedan
1935 Glenn Pray - Auburn Boattail Speedster, Gen. 2