News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

Early 1976 EFI Coolant temp sensor reproduction of 1606011 need test fit

Started by 79 Eldorado, June 18, 2021, 08:20:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

79 Eldorado

I have, on loan, a NOS sensor with the idea of creating a sensor/connector replacement for PN 1606011 which was used only on 1976 cars. Per GM PN 1606011 was used on 76 K on cars before VIN 480001 and based on what I've read possibly early 76 Eldorados... maybe 76 "C" cars?

I found the original terminals but I had no luck finding the connector or even the PN so I 3D CAD modeled it using the NOS part as the template. I've measured carefully but I've never even seen the mating wiring harness connector and nothing is better than a test fit. So I'm wondering if anyone still has a car running the old style connector or has the wiring harness side of the connection. If someone has one I thought I could test print a connector, install the original terminals, and send it out for a test fit if someone is willing to try it.

Adding some captures of the model.

Thanks,
Scott

bcroe

I will look, doubtful.  Best solution is change the harness to
the round connector.  Bruce Roe

79 Eldorado

Quote from: bcroe on June 18, 2021, 08:28:42 PM
Best solution is change the harness to the round connector.  Bruce Roe
Thousand percent agree but ever since you mentioned that older style years ago I've been keeping my eyes open just in case someone is dead set against changing. Even in that case they could simply cut the sensor wires and splice without impacting the car... I know.. but it seemed I was a little obsessed and the opportunity to borrow the NOS part presented itself so I wanted to at least document the design. I was shocked that I could even find the terminals. It seems the terminals were pretty common. I guess the connector was not as popular.

As well now that I found the terminals if anyone wanted to reuse their original connector it would be easy to unpin and plug the new terminals/sensor it the old plastic connector. Maybe that's even a better option.

Scott

79 Eldorado

I did finish the model. I thought I'd post an updated capture...

I measured carefully and I test printed a section of it on my printer to check the terminal fit and the terminal seemed to fit well.

Scott

bcroe

Quote from: 79 EldoradoI did finish the model. I thought I'd post an updated capture...

I measured carefully and I test printed a section of it on my printer to check the terminal fit and the terminal seemed to fit well.  Scott 

Nice work.  I did claw through 70s EFI harnesses in the attic,
but not did not find an actual one of those.  Bruce Roe

79 Eldorado

79 Eldorado

After measuring the first parts I received I decided to make a couple of small adjustments. I had time to make the adjustments during the holiday. The new parts arrived today and they look quite good. I'm including a few photos for people to see here. Considering there was really no reply for a test fit request I guess there isn't much interest but at least there's a direct fit replacement now for anyone who needs one.

One other interesting thing is GM listed a harness adapter. I assume that used this connector and the female which mates with the round connector sensor. I have all of the parts needed to make those now as well; I was only missing this connector. That adapter harness is PN 1605641. I've never even seen a photo of the adapter.

Scott

Phil Weber

Here is a picture of the adapter . I'm wondering what fits in the small hole in the side .

Phil

79 Eldorado

Hi Phil,
Thanks! If that's it though I must have the wrong PN. I thought the PN I had came from the GM parts catalog though. The part I'm thinking of should plug into the wiring harness in place of the sensor I pictured and there should be a short section of wire with the female connector which mates with the sensor Cadillac moved to.

Scott