News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

1960 Cadillac LS swap, questions !

Started by ToxicTrev111, June 20, 2021, 09:50:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ToxicTrev111

Hey everyone, I am looking at buying a 1960 cadillac ambulance. A potential Ecto-1 ghostbuster car ! the car came with a 390 and hydromatic trans. The car currently doesnt have the motor, but the trans is still in it. Now first I know most of you hate the idea of putting a chevy motor in a classic cadillac, so I apologize. I am wanting to build a nice reliable, somewhat fuel mileage friendly car.

I have a few questions, as I am trying to figure out what I will need to know to accomplish putting a LS motor in it. I have a cousin who has a LS 5.3 ( out of a silverado) he is going to sell me and also has a 4l60 trans but its a 4 wheel drive version. It also comes with the computer and harness.

From what I have read I know I will need to put a different oil pan on the motor, I will need to notch out the front cross member for clearance, I will need engine mounts and possible need to weld a bracket on the trans cross member.

I guess my questions are has anyone else done this to a similar car? Will the 4 wheel drive transmission work or should I look for a 2 wheel drive trans? What will I also need for a drive shaft ? I have also read the computer will possibly need to be reprogrammed ?

Any tips and tricks or any other input , please let me know. Thanks

ToxicTrev111

here is photos of the car I am looking at purchasing.

James Landi

Trevor--
THAT"S a terrific machine... looks like it has the a/c evaporator somewhere in the rear, and car's design and rear end window treatment are very,very attractive.  I saw a You Tube video on the Hagerty Insurance website that featured a complete restoration of the film featured Ghostbuster Cadillac... it was detailed and covered the transition to a LS GM big block engine and transmission...   hope this helps... keep us in the loop and do join CLC club.  James 

Chuck Patton

Hello Trevor

I can see the potential.

Contact Shawn Pulley-Big Fin Builds with your questions.
Appraiser-Broker-Consultant
Past CLC National Board Director
Past CLCMRC Director
Past CLC Motor City Region President
CLC 1959-60 Cadillac Chapter Director
CLC Life Member #23147