News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

Visiting CLCMRC/Gilmore

Started by David Greenburg, June 21, 2021, 03:46:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

David Greenburg

I will be making my first pilgrimage to the CLC Museum and the rest of the Gilmore campus next month. Anyone have recommendations for where to stay in the area?
David Greenburg
'60 Eldorado Seville
'61 Fleetwood Sixty Special

garys93

There are no hotels nearby. You will find plenty of choices in Kalamazoo.

quadfins

I stayed in Kalamazoo ( forget which motel), and it was an easy and scenic drive to Gilmore. Great museum, including the other marques.

If you get the chance, expand your trip to Detroit, and visit the Henry Ford, as well.

Jim
Jim Eccleston
1961 Coupe de Ville
BATILAC
Senior Crown
DeCou Driving Award x 4

Mike Josephic CLC #3877

There is a Comfort Inn in Plainwell, MI that's
just 10 miles from the Gilmore.  I've stayed
there a number of times during the early years
while our museum was in progress.
622 Allegan StPlainwellMIUS49080
ReservationDesk.com:833-483-0714

Mike
1955 Cadillac Eldorado
1973 Cadillac Eldorado
1995 Cadillac Seville
2004 Escalade
1997 GMC Suburban 4X4, 454 engine, 3/4 ton
custom built by Santa Fe in Evansville, IN
2011 Buick Lucerne CX
-------------------------------------
CLCMRC Museum Benefactor #38
Past: VP International Affiliates, Museum Board Director, President / Director Pittsburgh Region

Highwayman68

The Gilmore is an easy drive from Detroit, it's a nice day trip. Staying in Detroit has more options for hotels and there are several other car related museums in the Detroit area worth seeing. You get to ride around the Village in an actual original Model T.
1968 Fleetwood Purchased in 1981

Carfreak

Friends stayed at the Home2 Suites by Hilton in NW Battle Creek and are planning to stay there again this summer when attending a show @ the Gilmore. 

About 26 miles from Gilmore; same distance as many other Kzoo hotels but its a brand new facility which opened in 2020. 

You might also consider the Delta Hotel by Marriott in Kzoo which will be host hotel again for 2021 CLC Fall Festival. 

Enjoy life - it has an expiration date.

David Greenburg

Thanks for the tips. I will look at the aforementioned options. I understand it could be a day trip from Detroit, but I will be on my way to Chicago.  I do hope to spend some time at the Henry Ford.  I've visited before, but not since the '02 GN.
David Greenburg
'60 Eldorado Seville

Barry M Wheeler #2189

If this will work out, Alan Haas and Paul Ayres are usually at our library in Dexter, MI on Thursdays. If you want further details, call one of them and check. Alan is in OH and Paul in MI in the Directory.
Barry M. Wheeler #2189

1981 Cadillac Seville
1991 Cadillac Seville

David Greenburg

Thanks, Barry. I'll see if I can fit that in.  I've never met Alan, but had a couple of long phone conversations with him back in the late 80's discussing my '59 Fleetwood. He was, of course, a wealth of information for a pretty ignorant young newbie. I was also considering donating my research files on the '59-'60 pitman arm recall to the library if they're interested.  Basically a complete copy  (in microfiche) of NHTSA's files on the subject.
David Greenburg
'60 Eldorado Seville

LaSalle5019

I've stayed at the Four Points by Sheraton in Kalamazoo several times. Nice place and 25 minute drive from Gilmore.

The R.E.Olds Transportation Museum is in Lansing which is about an hour from the Gilmore - nice drive mostly on secondary roads. While in Lansing, you can tour the state Capitol building for free - gives any non-car travellers an interesting experience.  Maybe an hour at each location which are in walking distance from each other.