News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

1956 – 1958 Delco Autronic-Eye foot switch

Started by J. Gomez, June 21, 2021, 07:17:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

J. Gomez

If anyone would need/like a copy of the special Autronic-Eye foot switch 199 7022 internal pieces and how they work I'm working on refurbishing my 4th one and will try to take better pictures and document all the components and the process.

My previous digital camera is a model "T" according to the grandkids   ;D so the new one would/should take better shoots.

Stay tune...!   ;)
J. Gomez
CLC #23082

Lexi

I am always interested in your research Jose. It is top notch. I kept some of the old stuff on this topic from the Mid-Century site, so if you need anything let me know. Clay/Lexi

J. Gomez

Quote from: lexi on June 21, 2021, 08:38:57 PM
I am always interested in your research Jose. It is top notch. I kept some of the old stuff on this topic from the Mid-Century site, so if you need anything let me know. Clay/Lexi

Clay,

For you as always same price first round on you if we ever meet in person my friend.  ;)
J. Gomez
CLC #23082

Cadillac Jack 82

Do you refurbish 1955 Autronic eye boxes at all?  I'd love to get mine working right.
Tim

CLC Member #30850

1959 Cadillac CDV "Shelley"
1964 Cadillac SDV "Rosalie"
1966 Oldsmobile Toronado "Sienna"

Past Cars

1937 LaSalle Cpe
1940 Chevrolet Cpe
1941 Ford 11Y
1954 Buick 48D
1955 Cadillac CDV
1955 Packard Clipper
1957 Cadillac Series 62
1962 VW Bug
1962 Dodge 880
1966 Mercury Montclair
1967 Buick Wildcat Convertible
1968 Chevy Chevelle SS
1968 Plymouth Barracuda
1977 Lincoln MKV

J. Gomez

Quote from: 55 CDV Fan 82 on June 22, 2021, 12:23:50 PM
Do you refurbish 1955 Autronic eye boxes at all?  I'd love to get mine working right.

Tim,

I did about 4 amplifiers plus the one on my car, I however updated a few of the electronic items in them such converting the vibrator to electronic and bypassing the ballast tube. You can see what I have done under this thread.

http://forums.cadillaclasalleclub.org/index.php?topic=159006.0

Now you have to remember there are two other components that would need to be working to get the system operational the phototube and the power relay.

Thanks,
J. Gomez
CLC #23082

J. Gomez

Quote from: lexi on June 21, 2021, 08:38:57 PM

Clay,

FYI

I just send a copy v1 to your email, let me know what you think  ;) is a large file so hope it got to you.

Thanks,
J. Gomez
CLC #23082

Lexi

Jose just got it this morning. Thanks ever so much. It appears to be all there. Great work and superior photos. Clay/Lexi

Cadillac Jack 82

I know that sometimes when activated my headlights flip from hi beam to low beam without a light source.  Could this be the amplifier or photo tube (or both)?
Tim

CLC Member #30850

Past Cars

1937 LaSalle Cpe
1940 Chevrolet Cpe
1941 Ford 11Y
1954 Buick 48D
1955 Cadillac CDV
1955 Packard Clipper
1957 Cadillac Series 62
1962 VW Bug
1962 Dodge 880
1966 Mercury Montclair
1968 Chevy Chevelle SS
1968 Plymouth Barracuda
1977 Lincoln MKV

J. Gomez

Quote from: 55 CDV Fan 82 on June 24, 2021, 11:11:09 AM
I know that sometimes when activated my headlights flip from hi beam to low beam without a light source.  Could this be the amplifier or photo tube (or both)?

Tim,

That symptom could well be an adjustment issue.   ???

If you have the earlier model of the Autronic-Eye on your 1955 the "DIM" control was on the phototube and the "HOLD" control was on the amplifier, the later models late '55 both controls moved to the amplifier.

Without the Sun or Kent Moore tester adjustment can be a bit complex the "HOLD" will basically hold the high beams with a slight ambient light at the phototube, while the "DIM" will force a switch if the ambient light is bright enough to trigger the phototube.

Even with either of the testers you have to flip between both adjustments to get it right, and there is also the angle the phototube is mounted on the dash which would need to be adjusted as well to get the correct angle on the light source.

Hope this helps.
J. Gomez
CLC #23082

Cadillac Jack 82

Awesome info.  I have the later version where both are on the Amp box. 
Tim

CLC Member #30850

Past Cars

1937 LaSalle Cpe
1940 Chevrolet Cpe
1941 Ford 11Y
1954 Buick 48D
1955 Cadillac CDV
1955 Packard Clipper
1957 Cadillac Series 62
1962 VW Bug
1962 Dodge 880
1966 Mercury Montclair
1968 Chevy Chevelle SS
1968 Plymouth Barracuda
1977 Lincoln MKV

J. Gomez

Quote from: 55 CDV Fan 82 on June 24, 2021, 04:18:24 PM
Awesome info.  I have the later version where both are on the Amp box.

Tim,

You can try to tweak the controls slowly by using a flashlight and diffusing the intensity of the light on the phototube while making the adjustment preferably using an incandescent bulb, LED type is way too bright.

Just remember you may or not have a small cardboard on both controls that needs to be remove this was the method of locking both controls from turning.  :( Also, these control tend to get crusty with corrosion and/or calcium built-up if they are very hard to turn better to stop there.  ;)

Good luck..!
J. Gomez
CLC #23082

Cadman-iac

Hi Jose,

Would I be able to get a copy of your file on this?  I can send you my email address in a PM if so. And is there any charge for it?
  Many thanks for your hard work and dedication to preserving these old cars. I definitely appreciate it. My system seems to work fine, at least in the testing I did when I was making a new wiring harness for the car. I only did a bench test in the dark using a flashlight, so it's yet to be tested on the road. But I'm hopeful that it will work correctly.
  You have been very helpful in the past with my air conditioning electrical system, and I may have more questions for you about that later. Thank you for all your help.

Rick
CLC# 32373
1956 Coupe Deville A/C car "Norma Jean"

J. Gomez

Quote from: Cadman-iac on June 25, 2021, 02:58:23 AM
  Hi Jose,

Would I be able to get a copy of your file on this?  I can send you my email address in a PM if so. And is there any charge for it?
  Many thanks for your hard work and dedication to preserving these old cars. I definitely appreciate it. My system seems to work fine, at least in the testing I did when I was making a new wiring harness for the car. I only did a bench test in the dark using a flashlight, so it's yet to be tested on the road. But I'm hopeful that it will work correctly.
  You have been very helpful in the past with my air conditioning electrical system, and I may have more questions for you about that later. Thank you for all your help.

Rick

Rick,

The price for you would be the same as Clay's quote above.  ;D

Copy send  ;)
J. Gomez
CLC #23082

Cadman-iac

Jose,

I just checked and I got your file.  Great work on this, and very informative. And like Clay said, your pictures are awesome. Step by step directions are easy to follow. This will be extremely useful. Thank you so much. 
  Have a great day,
Rick
CLC# 32373
1956 Coupe Deville A/C car "Norma Jean"