News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

Oil Filter Mess

Started by Jay Friedman, June 22, 2021, 10:06:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jay Friedman

I change the oil in my '49 in my garage which does not have a lift.  I drain the oil from the motor into an enclosed plastic tub I bought at an auto parts store.  This is straight forward with no problems. 

My car also has an AC Model S-6 oil filter which takes AC P115 or Fram C-21 or Wix cartridges.  It's mounted on the front left side of the motor and is the type with a removeable lid.  After removing the old filter cartridge, the problem I have is removing the remaining 2 or 3 inches of oil remaining in the bottom of the cannister.  There is a drain plug near the bottom of the cannister, but to use it I would have to somehow wedge a funnel under it between the motor and the inner fender and aim the funnel outlet into the tub under the motor.  I've tried this in the past and always had oil spatter onto the motor and elsewhere, making a mess.  More recently, using a long rubber tube I siphoned the oil out into a tub, almost always splattering some in places where is doesn't belong and making a mess.  I then have to hang up the rubber tube to drain the residual oil from it.  Does anyone have a better way of doing this?  Any advice would be appreciated.

1949 Cadillac 6107 Club Coupe
1932 Ford V8 Phaeton (restored, not a rod).  Sold
Decatur, Georgia
CLC # 3210, since 1984
"If it won't work, get a bigger hammer."

Lexi

I use a large hospital syringe, about the size of a turkey baster, (but without the needle). That draws the last couple of inches out in about 6 takes. Buying a hand vacuum pump with a long flexible tube (under $20.00) like the type used to remove differential fluid, would also work with less potential for mess. You may also want to try a turkey baster, but make sure its clean before you return it to the wife's kitchen  ;D  Clay/Lexi

signart

If you have a real parts store, most have a pump for under $6 that is used to pump fluid into a differential from the bottle. This works great for removing the oil from the canister. The rest gets mopped up with paper towels.
Art D. Woody

fishnjim

You can buy a pump* for that, but frankly I use a turkey baster.  Couple bucks at the grocery and throw away when it's trashed.   Same for the power steering reservoir - no drain.   Lasts good so long as you don't draw into the bulb.   Tube is PP or acrylic so no issues.   Can wash it out.
I have big plastic syringes, 60 ml, but the rubber seems to swell with petroleum products so only good for a few pulls.   I was using that for gas to prime the carb, about 20 cc. but it stops up and have to take apart and dry out the rubber squeegee part.
* - I just bought one at the parts store when my electric pump died.  They're about $12-15.  Has tubings and a manual pump.   It helps to have 3 or 4 arms to hold everything.   You can spend more and get a tank kind that vacuums it out, like much a big brake bleeder.   (search)  suction or extractor pumps for oil.
I guess you could pipe in a drain tube from the outlet, and put a plug or valve below for draining, but mine('58) doesn't have a drain that I know of.   

David Greenburg

When I had my '59, I used a hand-held suction pump, probably intended for differentials. The brand is "Plews"  Before I got that, when I was young, cheap and stupid, I used a couple of old shot glasses.  What a mess!
David Greenburg
'60 Eldorado Seville
'61 Fleetwood Sixty Special

savemy67

Hello Jay,

You may want to Google "suction gun".  These are available at many auto parts stores, Harbor Frieght, etc. for under $15.  I have used mine off and on for 30 years for situations similar to yours.  Most of them hold about a pint.

Respectfully submitted,

Christopher Winter
Christopher Winter
1967 Sedan DeVille hardtop

Lexi

In addition to my above post, here is a shot of 3 tools that will do the job. The 2 ounce capacity syringe (minus the needle) is pictured with the draw plunger inside the tube. I have used this item for several years and works well. Downside is that it takes several applications and when used without the needle you have cover the nozzle to prevent dripping. But it works quite well. In the middle is the hand pump which I just bought. Looks like you can both extract and then pump out fluid by using the "T" handle at the far end. Should do the job all at once and fluid remains inside the cylinder until you pump it out. Bought it to do my diff fluid. I think this is the suction gun that Christopher mentioned. The other tool is another hospital item but similar to a turkey baster. Clay/Lexi

Jay Friedman

Thank you everyone for all the good advice.  I ordered a suction pump on ebay and I'm going to ask my wife to get a turkey baster for me as a backup next time she goes to the super market.
Decatur, Georgia
CLC # 3210, since 1984

Jim Miller

Jay
The suction pump works. My boat has a large inboard Chrysler V8 and it sits on stringers with no room under it. I have to stick the hose into the dip stick tube. Mine is battery powered. You never quite get all of the old oil out, but it works.
Jim Miller

1941 6219
1949 6237X
1970 CDV
2021 XT6
Past:
1991 SDV
1999 DeElegence
2006 DTS
2013 XTS
2016 SRX

Jay Friedman

As a follow up, I finally resolved everything with new oil and a new filter cartridge and no leaks.  I mentioned in my original posting that besides AC and Wix cartridges, the AC S-6 oil filter can also use Fram C-21 cartridges.  This may have been the case previously, but the C-21 cartridge is now manufactured differently and the one I tried to use was to wide for the filter cannister.  I put in, instead, an original equipment AC P-115 cartridge bought on ebay which fits and works perfectly.

Jim, this was not about getting oil out of the motor, but the last couple of inches of oil out of the oil filter cannister.  Jay
Decatur, Georgia
CLC # 3210, since 1984

Jim Miller

Yes - figured it should be able to suck it out of the canister.
Jim Miller

1941 6219
1949 6237X
1970 CDV
2021 XT6
Past:
1991 SDV
1999 DeElegence
2006 DTS
2013 XTS
2016 SRX