News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

Installing parade boot 76 Eldo

Started by 1776-1976-Eldo, June 23, 2021, 07:37:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

1776-1976-Eldo

How low should the top go without pushing to allow the hard parade boot to install? I have not tried yet, but the top seems pretty high and don't want to push enough to break the window. What is the best practice?
1976 Bicentennial Eldorado #198 Dallas, TX

The Tassie Devil(le)

With my /72, which isd virtually the same as the '76, the top goes down deep into the well, but a slight bit of one side of the canvas sits up a fraction, but that is easily "bent over" for the use of a better word, and everything fits.   There should be no pressure required to "flatten" the top when folded.

Bruce. >:D
'72 Eldorado Convertible (LHD)
'70 Ranchero Squire (RHD)
'74 Chris Craft Gull Wing (SH)
'02 VX Series II Holden Commodore SS Sedan
(Past President Modified Chapter)

Past Cars of significance - to me
1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1937 Chevrolet Sports Coupe
1955 Chevrolet Convertible
1959 Ford Fairlane Ranch Wagon
1960 Cadillac CDV
1972 Cadillac Eldorado Coupe

1776-1976-Eldo

Mine is stopping much earlier than that.

The Tassie Devil(le)

Have you got a picture?

The glass folds down under the roof material, and is fully out of the way, unless you have something in there stopping it, but if that was being stopped from fully retracting, then there is every possibility that it could break, which you definitely don't want that to happen.

1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1960 Cadillac CDV

1776-1976-Eldo

here is a pic about where it stops.

The Tassie Devil(le)

John,

Definitely too high.

But, when you are lowering it, have someone you can trust to operate the switch, and by that, I mean, someone who will stop when you tell them to, so that you can be back there, looking at what might be getting caught.

Could be anything, like some material getting caught in the folding mechanism, or some other "simple" explanation.   Look at the side padding, the headliner, and if there is any stretching which may stop the arms dropping.

Any chance of some pictures of it up close?

1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1960 Cadillac CDV

KOKNEYELDO

I have a 75' Eldo convertible and your top should go all the way back with no assistance.

Check the cables.

If glass, do not apply any pressure to it.
Present cars:

1975 Cadillac Eldorado convertible
1957 Ford Thunderbird
2007 Jeep Commander Overland
2018 Audi A3

Come On You Blues!

MaR

Quote from: 1776-1976-Eldo on June 23, 2021, 10:30:53 PM
The guide arms are out of adjustment. They are the arms that push the main folding arms out when the top goes up. When they are out of adjustment, the top will have a hard time reaching the top of the windshield and when it folds up, it will not stack up properly in the well.

mrmatthew

Quote from: 1776-1976-Eldo on June 23, 2021, 10:30:53 PM

My '76 did the same thing. Stuck up about 4 inches & no pushing down would budge it.The logical fix seemed adjustment... Researched online, Shop manual, couldn't find any instructions to try..No professional help in my area. Then Hurricane Harvey came along & I never had another problem with that car again.

You may be lucky enough to have someone in your area proficient with scissor tops & can fix your problem since the boot gives the car that neat finished look...BTW nice looking Bicentennial... What number ?

1776-1976-Eldo

Matti R

Quote from: MaR on June 25, 2021, 12:22:48 PM
The guide arms are out of adjustment. They are the arms that push the main folding arms out when the top goes up. When they are out of adjustment, the top will have a hard time reaching the top of the windshield and when it folds up, it will not stack up properly in the well.
Thanks for good info. How to adjust those?
Best regards,
Matti
CLC #33333
67 DeVille convertible Sudan beige
79 Seville
64 Sedan DeVille
66 Calais Coupe

76eldo

Need to take unto a pro shop.
If you get it out of whack you will break the back window.
Brian Rachlin
Huntingdon Valley, Pa
I prefer email's not PM's rachlin@comcast.net

1960 62 Series Conv with Factory Tri Power
1970 DeVille Conv
1970 Eldo
1970 Caribu (?) "The Cadmino"
1973 Eldorado Conv Pace Car
1976 Eldorado Conv
1980 Eldorado H & E Conv
1993 Allante with Hardtop (X2)
2008 DTS
2012 CTS Coupe
2017 XT
1956 Thunderbird
1966 Olds Toronado

R Pope

Check you well liner. I bet it is to tonight and will not let the top rectract as far as it should. I have the same problem. I broke my rear window and had a shop redo the rear panel. Now the rear well liner is too tight and it does not go down far enough for the top to 'disappear'. Always planned on removing a bunch of staples or cutting it but just have not got around to it.

Big Fins

Also be sure there is nothing in the forward end of the trunk that could stop the top prematurely. Like the jack or part of it's assembly. There is 0 room for error here.

Mine also sticks up about an inch due to the way the canvas folds.
Current:
1976 Eldorado Convertible in Crystal Blue FireMist with white interior and top. (Misty Blue

Past and much missed:
1977 Brougham de Elegance
1976 Eldorado Convertible
1972 Fleetwood Brougham
1971 Sedan de Ville
1970 de Ville Convertible
1969 Fleetwood Brougham
1969 Sedan de Ville
1959 Sedan deVille

76eldo

You also should take the tip back about 2/3 and fold in the canvas to help it stack better but if the top doesn't lower into the body low enough you won't get the hard or  soft boot on.
Brian Rachlin
Huntingdon Valley, Pa
I prefer email's not PM's rachlin@comcast.net

1960 62 Series Conv with Factory Tri Power
1970 DeVille Conv
1970 Eldo
1970 Caribu (?) "The Cadmino"
1973 Eldorado Conv Pace Car
1976 Eldorado Conv
1980 Eldorado H & E Conv
1993 Allante with Hardtop (X2)
2008 DTS
2012 CTS Coupe
2017 XT
1956 Thunderbird
1966 Olds Toronado

Matti R

Quote from: MaR on June 25, 2021, 12:22:48 PM
Sorry but I do not get how to adjust guide arms. I don`t even know what they are because I am using Fisher scissor top manual and the parts have different names there.
Thanks in advance.
Best regards,
Matti
CLC #33333
79 Seville
64 Sedan DeVille
66 Calais Coupe

MaR

Quote from: Matti R on June 26, 2021, 08:40:19 AM
Thanks for good info. How to adjust those?
I really suggest that you get a service manual so you can see the diagrams. The process is to lower the top all the way, loosen the two guide arms at the pivot block and then make sure that the two large folding arms will now lay flat with no "springiness" in the folding arms. Problems with the rear glass have to do with the glass sliding arms that are in the well area and the 4th bow. 

MaR

Quote from: Matti R on June 29, 2021, 04:59:16 PM
Sorry but I do not get how to adjust guide arms. I don`t even know what they are because I am using Fisher scissor top manual and the parts have different names there.
Thanks in advance.
Item #7.

Matti R

Quote from: MaR on July 01, 2021, 11:36:26 AM
I really suggest that you get a service manual so you can see the diagrams. The process is to lower the top all the way, loosen the two guide arms at the pivot block and then make sure that the two large folding arms will now lay flat with no "springiness" in the folding arms. Problems with the rear glass have to do with the glass sliding arms that are in the well area and the 4th bow.
Thanks. Actually, I have done that already. 
Best regards,
Matti
CLC #33333
79 Seville
64 Sedan DeVille
66 Calais Coupe