News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

What sealant to use?

Started by dn010, June 30, 2021, 02:59:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dn010

I'm close to putting my '57 back together after paint. Can someone recommend what to use to seal pieces like the ornaments to the hood, crest to the hood or the chrome trim on the fins/rear fender? Originally, the two ornaments on my hood leaked at the studs, the water dripped down the inside of the hood and started to cause rust where the hood latching parts are and I'd like to avoid that this time around. The chrome on the fins had some sort of wax looking material stuffed around the studs. Not sure what to search for or what to use so any guidance would be appreciated.
-----Dan Benedek
'57 Cadillac Sedan Deville 6239DX
'81 DMC DeLorean

Mike Josephic CLC #3877

Normally, a product called "strip caulk" is used
for applications like that.  Any good auto supply
should have it.

This is the material I was talking about:
https://www.jbtools.com/3m-08578-strip-caulk-black/?msclkid=f9c836734a871adf5eea56ae063d6267

It never gets hard and seals well.  You put some on
both sides of the holes and around the sealing nut.

Mike
1955 Cadillac Eldorado
1973 Cadillac Eldorado
1995 Cadillac Seville
2004 Escalade
1997 GMC Suburban 4X4, 454 engine, 3/4 ton
custom built by Santa Fe in Evansville, IN
2011 Buick Lucerne CX
-------------------------------------
CLCMRC Museum Benefactor #38
Past: VP International Affiliates, Museum Board Director, President / Director Pittsburgh Region

fishnjim

They used to use a dumdum, aka sealing putty, material on speed nuts to seal the hole for trim studs.  It's mostly ground limestone and mineral oil/wax.   Also found for electrical sealing like around conduits and boxes.   A lot of the trim didn't have anything and yes leads to rust.   But sealant can also trap water if not properly used.   They made cars to sell and need replaced, not last forever.
3M and AC Delco and others have a variety of sealants and product that could be used, but I'm not sure it'll be "original" or help your cause.
Best to wipe 'em down and blow out the trim if washed or rained on.   Particular, excess wax, etc. gets in there too, holds water.   The "modern" plastic trim uses two side adhesive foam as a gasket.   Much better from a corrosion standpoint.

dn010

Thank you for your responses. I would love to keep this car dry but sometimes especially living in Florida it just can't be avoided. I will look into the strip caulk or sealing putty, my intention is to only use it on the hood or rear fins, nothing on the sides. My car does not have to be 100% original, I'd just feel better having something preventing any future damage when the inevitable rain storm strikes on a ride home. Looks like I will need to use some on the windshield trim too which I had forgotten about.

Thank you again.
-----Dan Benedek
'81 DMC DeLorean

fishnjim

Some of the window trims press in rubber seal/adhesive and some are held with clips to the body.  I think these are clipped.   The trim is stainless so it's ok.   The clips tend to corrode over the years.  There might be some plastic replacements that would fit. 
The wipers drain it down.   Those areas are supposed to drain down into the cowl and not usually sealed.  The panel seams are sealed.   Like I said you don't want to create a new problem of water ponding somewhere around the sealant.   That's death against paint.   So be careful.   Hopefully, there's a few extra coats of clear on your fresh paint.
Something like hood trim can easily be taken off periodically and inspected and cleaned/resealed.   Helps the pot metal too which doesn't fair well in water.
3M makes some protective clear film w/ adhesive that comes on the new cars for door edges and splash/erosion areas.   That could be useful as a "cushion" shield over the paint and won't show, if trimmed properly.   Anyone from salt country well knows the pains of corrosion around the trim on these dyno-soars.

Macabry

As Fishnjim said regarding the underside of stainless trim:
1952 Series 62 Coupe de Ville
1988 Citroen 2cv Special

Macabry

There is "stripcaulk" under the beltline stainless trim on my '52, the quarterwindow surrounds are puttied though (looks like dumdum)

I will be using sealing caulk from a gun to replace all of these.

I've had good experiences with Würth products/sealants in the past
1952 Series 62 Coupe de Ville
1988 Citroen 2cv Special

dn010

As far as the windshield trim, the top piece has bolts that go through the roof and are fastened inside the car under the headliner so that will need sealing. The bottom uses clips which I never removed so I don't plan to do anything with those.

From your suggestions here, I was able to locate and purchase dum-dum and strip caulk so I have some options and as Fishnjim says I will be careful where I apply these in order to avoid an adverse reaction to what I am trying to accomplish. I do have some urethane seam sealer that I suppose can be used as well but I don't want to over-do things.

Thank you again for your advice and guidance.
-----Dan Benedek
'81 DMC DeLorean