News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

1959 cdv shocks to use?

Started by Paul, July 01, 2021, 04:31:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Paul

Hello. Can anyone recommend a good set of shocks for my non-ac cdv? I want a nice smooth ride but don't want it to feel unresponsive. Any thoughts on a good product to use?
59 Caddy, Seminole Red with Dover White top

Poncholover

For a lot of "classic" old cars, the only option is the black no-name Gabriel shocks made in Mexico.
I can wholeheartedly endorse not using them unless a soft, mushy, unresponsive  ride is acceptable...
KYB offers a very wide selection and if not a direct interchange, can usually get you within 1/2 an inch of OEM.
Worth a shot.
Flattie Caddy

dn010

As far as I know, your two standards are either Gabriel or Monroe. I installed the Gabriel "Classic" shocks and they changed nothing for me. Still feels like the car is floating down the road. My next try was going to be Monroe but something (how cheap they are) told me that they'd be no different. Unfortunately, I have not found any 'name brand' "performance" shocks for the car, everything else is just the same black Gabriel Classic rebranded.

Comparing the available shocks on RockAuto revealed Gabriel vs. Monroe had different compressed lengths, extended lengths and overall travel lengths even though the shock was for the same application location. So as the above post stated, you have some room to work with but I wouldn't go with less travel length. I tried comparing to the KYB Series 60 shocks for 1957 but the travel length was slightly less than what both Gabriel and Monroe had to make me not feel comfortable so I passed on them. I haven't picked this up in a while so that is as far as I have gotten, but there are shocks out there that will work, you just have to spend a bit of time and research to find them.
-----Dan Benedek
'57 Cadillac Sedan Deville 6239DX
'81 DMC DeLorean

Poncholover

Flattie Caddy

bctexas

I decided to change the shocks on my '65 CDV as it seemed the ones that came with the car were sub-par.  I tried Gabriels and I didn't like them.  Like almost all the available shocks, they are gas charged and as such are much stiffer in compression than the old style shocks our cars came with.  They transmit much more of the minor road irregularities into the chassis than the old shocks and IMHO ruined the ride quality.  In fact, I put the old shocks back on. 

Has anybody tried shocks from https://www.shocks2springs.com/ ?  They sell non-gas filled shocks, but they are pricey at $100 ea.

Happy Motoring!
1965 CDV
1970 SDV