News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

Question for members

Started by Dgood133, July 01, 2021, 10:51:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dgood133

Hi, I am about to start the refurbishing of my 1960 series 62 convertible and would like a little guidance here.

My question is related to keeping total original versus improvement. The car is a very low mileage 2 owner car. She was given to me by my mother who inherited from the second owner.
The car has been sitting so has all the expected issues with leaking gaskets etc, I had the carb and fuel pump rebuilt...

I have purchased front end replacement parts and engine seals etc... The question is this
Should I upgrade the brakes to disc?
Should I install a dual chamber master cylinder ? Ive seen where people will fit a master from a later model without too much issue

The car as far as I can tell is completely stock

Would like to hear your thoughts on this, right now my plan is to sell her after we have gotten it running well as I dont think I can afford to do full restoration right now as this car definitely deserves
Thanks
D

Cape Cod Fleetwood

If you're going to flip the car don't throw a lot of money at it. Get it running 'as is', let the new owner decide if they're
staying original or will mod it.  Just MHO.
There are 2 kinds of cars in the world, Cadillac and everything else....

The Present -1970 Fleetwood Brougham

The Past -
1996 Deville Concours
1987 Sedan De Ville "Commonwealth Edition"
1981 Coupe De Ville (8-6-4)
1976 Sedan De Ville
1975 Sedan De Ville

The Daily Driver and work slave -
2008 GMC Acadia SLT *options/all

TonyZappone #2624

Becoming 80 years old today, I can tell you that I have driven hundreds of thousands miles with drum brakes.  A rebuilt power brake system will do you well in normal, careful driving.  Obviously, a new disc brake system would be an optimum situation, but I could sure find more places to put your hard earned money
Tony Zappone, #2624
1936 Pierce-Arrow conv sed
1947 Cadillac Conv cpe
1958 Cadillac conv
2016 Cadillac CT6 Platinum
2022 Chrysler Pacifica Pinnacle

James Landi

I entirely agree with Tony.  Replacing original components with modern "rigging" always involves so much more effort and money.  Of course, if you truly want all the modern safety and comfort, then your car may be more attractive for you .  I've owned a 60 CDV, and it was a mighty machine--- comfortable and a distinctive as a driving experience.  I'd want the original as a first choice--- any modifications would focus on adding a/c if it didn't have it orginally.  Perhaps you should get the car thoroughly road worthy and up to original specifications---then decide how you want to use it.  This can become a much harder choice once you experience the original driving dynamics-- driving the original is very different and, frankly, truly engaging.  Please do keep us in the loop.   James

Eric DeVirgilis CLC# 8621

Agreed with Tony & James. The original brake system is fine for the way these cars were expected to be driven.
A Cadillac Motorcar is a Possession for which there is no Acceptable Substitute

The Tassie Devil(le)

I also agree with Tony, James and Eric.   I used to drive my own '60 CDV reasonably hard, and the only time I had brake problems was when really pushing it, far beyond what it was designed for.   But, I had a late model power booster behind the dual circuit master cylinder.

Normal use, and you won't have any problems.

BUT, a word of warning, don't attempt to drive in heavy traffic, bumper to bumper, constantly on the brakes to keep from collecting the car in front, and don't try to drive it from stop light to stop light like you would in a performance car.

Bruce. >:D
'72 Eldorado Convertible (LHD)
'70 Ranchero Squire (RHD)
'74 Chris Craft Gull Wing (SH)
'02 VX Series II Holden Commodore SS Sedan
(Past President Modified Chapter)

Past Cars of significance - to me
1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1937 Chevrolet Sports Coupe
1955 Chevrolet Convertible
1959 Ford Fairlane Ranch Wagon
1960 Cadillac CDV
1972 Cadillac Eldorado Coupe

fishnjim

HBD to Tony on becoming an octagenarian.   Many try, few are granted membership.
I believe by '60 most of the problems with the boosters were fixed and not as apt to fail as say the one that came on my '58.   
One thing to consider, if you put discs on, most likely you'll NOT be able to use the factory wheels and hubcaps.   So if that original look is important?   I retained the drum brakes just put on a modern dual system booster.   Those came in '64 so yours is still single.   You just have the pain of periodic adjusting the drum brakes, unlike the later with self adjusters.   If you aren't going to drive it much, you can do all the periodic maintenance at yearly oil change time.
No one can tell you what someone is going to pay for the car when you sell it.   That's depends on the market and desirability of the car at that time.   CDV is more desirable historically than say a SDV or limo.   Original tends to bring more, but condition, condition, condition.   The cost of full resto probably will not be recouped.
'60 to me was one of the more desirable designs of that era.   Have fun.

Andrew Trout

A dual-master cylinder is a good change to make. My '61 convertible had a leaking rear wheel cylinder and I had a soft brake pedal until it was fixed as I only have a singe master cylinder in the car. Drum brakes are fine. I drive cautiously in my car, leaving lots of room between me and cars in front of me, braking early and gently.

As for your overall question, consider the Ship of Theseus. It's a thought experiment which the famous ship sailed by the hero Theseus in a great battle was kept in a harbor as a museum piece, and as the years went by some of the wooden parts began to rot and were replaced by new ones; then, after a century or so, every part had been replaced. The question then is whether the "restored" ship is still the same object as the original.

Rochester, NY
1961 Convertible

71 Fleetwood

I agree with Tony, James, Eric and Bruce, but not Theseus  ;)

Eighty candles make a lovely light
But not as bright as your eyes tonight (as your eyes tonight) (Oh)
Blow out the candles, make your wish come true
For I'll be wishing that you love me, too (that you love me, too)

Happy Birthday Tony!
1971 Fleetwood Sixty Special Brougham

russ austin

Get the car to start up. Clean everything, then clean it again.  Getting it to move forward and reverse is a plus, but rebuilding the engine or trans will not get you any more profit. 

You stand to make a good amount of money just by doing that.  And since the car was free, it will all be profit.
R.Austin

The Tassie Devil(le)

Quote from: fishnjim on July 02, 2021, 09:18:48 AM
......You just have the pain of periodic adjusting the drum brakes, unlike the later with self adjusters.......
The good thing about 1960 for Cadillac is that this is the year that they fitted the Self Adjusting mechanism to all their cars.

Bruce. >:D
'72 Eldorado Convertible (LHD)
'70 Ranchero Squire (RHD)
'74 Chris Craft Gull Wing (SH)
'02 VX Series II Holden Commodore SS Sedan
(Past President Modified Chapter)

Past Cars of significance - to me
1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1937 Chevrolet Sports Coupe
1955 Chevrolet Convertible
1959 Ford Fairlane Ranch Wagon
1960 Cadillac CDV
1972 Cadillac Eldorado Coupe

Dgood133

Thank you all for your thoughts, it seems the consensus is stick to stock, which was kind of where my head was at. My first car was a 63 SDV that I drove till I threw a piston at top speed on the 15 freeway in so cal. I loved that car... You do dumb stuff when your young :) trying to do better by this one...

I will keep you guys appraised of the progress we start next week...

Chuck Patton

Hello Danny

Glad to read of your interest in improving your Mother's 1960 Cadillac 6267F. There were 14,000 produced at the Cadillac Plant in Detroit. The Collectability Level is B with a less than 40% Survivor Rate.
I like your enthusiasm but I would like you to consider your intention, skill level and finances BEFORE you move forward. These are my recommendations:
(1)Determine the CONDITION
(2)Create a Plan
(3)Develop a Budget
(4)Establish a Timeline
(5)Source reasonable parts suppliers
(6)Evaluate Quality Shops (preferably in your area so you can monitor the progress).

Here on the CLC Forum Newsletter Section, you can read the past 5960 Cadillac Chapter Newsletters for valuable research to assist with your Mother's car.
Appraiser-Broker-Consultant
Past CLC National Board Director
Past CLCMRC Director
Past CLC Motor City Region President
CLC 1959-60 Cadillac Chapter Director
CLC Life Member #23147

TonyZappone #2624

Thank you so much.  A great deal of attention has been paid to this birthday, by very many.  For me, I wish it was my 50th again, but I am afraid that is not possible.   

Eighty candles make a lovely light
But not as bright as your eyes tonight (as your eyes tonight) (Oh)
Blow out the candles, make your wish come true
For I'll be wishing that you love me, too (that you love me, too)

Happy Birthday Tony

Tony Zappone, #2624
1936 Pierce-Arrow conv sed
1947 Cadillac Conv cpe
1958 Cadillac conv
2016 Cadillac CT6 Platinum
2022 Chrysler Pacifica Pinnacle

59-in-pieces

David,
I may have missed the answer to the question, is it your intention to keep the car or "flip it".

If the answer was - "keep it" - just get it running safely.
You certainly have a great car in a 60 convertible, which will hold its value better and longer than other lesser models.
If your answer was - "flip it" - just get it running safely.
Yes, sounds the same.
Because, my hope is you may find that driving it for a bit may turn into that love others have written about, and makes it harder to let it go.

Have fun,
Steve B.
S. Butcher