News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, which the board has delayed until May 15th to give users who are not CLC members time to sign up for the club, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

Anyone Have Experience w/ 12 volt DC Air Conditioner or Elec Compressor?

Started by carlhungness, July 02, 2021, 07:23:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

carlhungness

https://www.ebay.com/itm/274816653471?chn=ps&mkevt=1&m

We've seen units such as the one linked to on trucks, shuttle buses, etc.
I am just not happy with installing an AC compressor on my engine for reasons I'm not going into. The car is powered by a '76 Eldo 500" engine, aftermarket manifold, polished-chrome headers, valve covers that say Antoine de La Moth Cadillac, acorn nuts in place of all bolts, etc. It looks clean and it's not going to have an AC compressor on it.
    I'm researching to see if  there is a 12volt DC unit I can adapt to my '37 LaSalle coupe and hiding most of the gubbins in the trunk and under the fuel tank. I know Vintage Air makes a condenser with fan that can be mounted under the gas tank
so that leaves me to locate the compressor in the trunk.
   Now we see electric compressors in wide usage, so I'm still hoping to get AC in the car (duct work through the trunk in between the Opera seats is OK with me, I think I can make it look factory).
   Thus I'm seeking suggestions on not only the 12volt units but any knowledge of the electric compressors may be helpful too.

"Cadillac Kid" Greg Surfas 15364

Carl
First of all most of the electric compressors used in EVs are not 12 volt but driven off the vehicles high. Olga s system through some very sophisticated controllers.
IF you could get a 12
Volt compressor to equal the cooling capacity of the A-6 or even the R-4, you are looking at a device drawing something on the order of 200-250 amps. What happened to your idea of powder coating a compressor?
Greg Surfas
Cadillac Kid-Greg Surfas
Director Modified Chapter CLC
CLC #15364
66 Coupe deVille (now gone to the UK)
72 Eldo Cpe  (now cruising the sands in Quatar)
73 Coupe deVille
75 Coupe deElegance
76 Coupe deVille
79 Coupe de ville with "Paris" (pick up) option and 472 motor
514 inch motor now in '73-

bcroe

Listen to Greg.  Driving multiple horsepower to a AC compressor is
bad enough.  Using a huge alternator to drive a great big electric
motor, to drive the compressor, expanded in size to make up for
the conversion losses, is worse. 

The link unit uses R134A.  Now there are units using R410A which
are far more efficient (less horsepower) in service, including at my
house.  Maybe such a system had been developed for EVs, I would
investigate how they do it. 

How about one of those heat driven refrigerant systems?  Run it off
the exhaust pipe.

Bruce Roe

fishnjim

Pshaft_kW = ηm U I / 1000                      (1)

where
Pshaft_kW = shaft power (kW)
ηm = motor efficiency
U = voltage (V)
I = current (A, amps)

1 Ton of refrigeration(12000 btu/hr. is equal to 3,516.85 W

One can estimate the alternator req'd from the above.  Need the capy of the A/C unit, and then plug in 12V into the W=VA to get the amps.   It's not astronomical but a sizable alternator and battery to power it.   More power drain/less efficient also as your converting the energy.
So what has been gained - compressor or a large alternator.   You can maybe hide them under the motor.   My diesel truck is like that, the compressor is tucked under and you can't see it.   Needs brackets and serpentine.   But if a FWD Eldo that's probably not going to happen.   Ugly motor = cool interior or nice motor = hot interior.
eg:
If you look at a typical RV roof top air conditioner they rate about 15K btu/hr and pull 15 A at 120VAC, so that's roughly 150A on 12 VDC.   That would be in addition to the amount req'd for the rest of the car.  Wiring gauge would go up accordingly.
We had manual air conditioning pre- A/C cars, it was called rolling down the windows and opening the floor vent and driving fast.

walt chomosh #23510

Carl,
  I looked into putting a 12V A/C unit in my 1955 Airstream Bubble years ago and their were plenty of units out there at any service center near the truck stops. They weren't allowed to idle the trucks overnight so apparently someone came up with the 12V A/C. I spent an awful lot of time planning but eventually discarded the idea. (I went with a removable window unit) Check around and talk to the truck stop A/C techs and please let us know what you decide.....walt...tulsa,ok