News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

Source for 1940 LaSalle throwout bearing and associated parts.

Started by z3skybolt, July 03, 2021, 05:38:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

z3skybolt

Need to replace the throwout bearing and maybe other components in my LaSalle.  I see Kanter has them.  Know of any other sources? Don't suppose that Harry S. or any other guru has NOS parts that could be purchased.

Thanks,

Bob R.
1940 LaSalle 5227 Coupe(purchased May 2016)
1985 Lincoln Town Car Signature Series. Bought New.

Ohjai

I recently got 2 sets for my 38 and 41 60 Specials from Mike Gadaleto of Cadillac Parts, LTD, 856 753-6788   cadillacpartsltd.com

I won't be using one set in the next few weeks, so if you want to borrow a set to speed up your project, I will be happy to loan you them until you can replace them.  I live in Ballwin, near Clayton and Kehrs Mill Roads.

Jim
'38 Cadillac Series 60 S
'41 Cadillac Series 60 S
2017 Cadillac CT6
'62 Buick Skyhawk Conv
'49 Bentley MK-VI  Sold
'53 Bentley R-Type  Sold
'66 Ford Thunderbird
'64 Rolls-Royce Silver Cloud III
'75 Rolls-Royce Silver Shad Sold
'78 Rolls-Royce Silver Shad II
'80 Rolls-Royce Silver Wraith II  Sold
'81 Rolls-Royce Camargue  Sold
'88 Rolls-Royce Corniche II
'89 Rolls-Royce Silver Spur
2020 Ford Escape

Ohjai

Bob, from what I see in the Master Parts book, the same throw out bearing is used on all the cars from 1937 until 1953 142 7804.  The Clutch pilot bearing 907 109 is  used on 39 - 1948.  I have two sets of these, need one immediately and one for the other car in the future.

Jim

'38 Cadillac Series 60 S
'41 Cadillac Series 60 S
2017 Cadillac CT6
'62 Buick Skyhawk Conv
'49 Bentley MK-VI  Sold
'53 Bentley R-Type  Sold
'66 Ford Thunderbird
'64 Rolls-Royce Silver Cloud III
'75 Rolls-Royce Silver Shad Sold
'78 Rolls-Royce Silver Shad II
'80 Rolls-Royce Silver Wraith II  Sold
'81 Rolls-Royce Camargue  Sold
'88 Rolls-Royce Corniche II
'89 Rolls-Royce Silver Spur
2020 Ford Escape

z3skybolt

Thanks Jim,

I purchased a complete set of new brakes for the LaSalle from Mike last month.  If you are comfortable with the quality then I will buy from him as well. Not a big hurry as I am in the middle of replacing the rear leaf, front coil and all four shocks. 

The throwout just began to rattle a couple days ago.  We will tackle that next.  Thank you so much. I am basically concerned about good quality.  Not sure if any are USA made anymore.

Bob R.

LaSalle5019

I got my throwout and pilot bearings from Kanter. They were both quality bearings.  The throwout was an Aetna Bearing  - made in USA. You don't want to buy sealed NOS bearings unless you are prepared to pull the seals/shields off and repack it with new grease.
Scott

Daryl Chesterman

Bob, when I interchange the GM part numbers that James listed, it appears that NAPA has availability.  I don't know what your price would be compared to Cadillac Parts Ltd., but they are SKF bearings, so should be good quality.  SKF may not be USA made, but it seems to me they have good quality control, wherever they are made.

Throw out bearing GM #142 7804 is NAPA N1087

Pilot bearing GM #907 109 is NAPA BR7109  (ball bearing)
                                           NAPA 615-00061 (bronze bushing) (Not SKF and might be made in China)

You can see these at NAPA ONLINE (https://www.napaonline.com/) to see what your approximate cost would be and  to be sure they look like the correct ones.

Daryl Chesterman

z3skybolt

Daryl,

When I check NAPA on line using the NAPA#given it says "Will not fit your 1940 LaSalle 50 series"   ???? On one page it say......"not fitted/Universal fit".  So I am confused but will follow up with my local NAPA dealer or check with someone source.

Thank you for your help.

Bob R.

wheikkila

I purchased mine for my 40 LaSalle through Northwest Transmission along with a complete transmission rebuild kit. I was very happy with the quality of my parts. Now i'm hopping to get everything back together in the next month or two.
Thanks Wayne   

Daryl Chesterman

Bob, I would not trust the NAPA cataloging to know if the listed part numbers are correct for your car.  I used the interchange that NAPA has, and it is usually very good.  I interchanged the GM numbers that James showed in his post, to get the NAPA numbers.  If you have the old bearings removed, check them for part numbers and see if those specific numbers interchange to the NAPA numbers.  Another cross-check is to compare measurements.  At least, they are available from different sources, so you will get fixed up one way or the other.

Happy 4th!
Daryl Chesterman