News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

Hirsch Cad blue engine paint

Started by MidModCad, July 04, 2021, 01:46:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MidModCad

I'm hoping someone knows where I can find a can of Hirsch engine enamel.  I underestimated just how much was needed for my detail job and with a show coming up fast I can't get it from Hirsch in time to cure properly.  Even a 3/4 full can or so can would work if it's not too ancient.  Much appreciate any assist.

Lexi

Difficult to answer without knowing where you are located. Perhaps contact Hirsch paints and ask if they have a distributor near you or if they have any suggestions to expedite shipping. Clay/Lexi

MidModCad

I'm west coast, so far away from Hirsch. They don't have Cad blue in stock, which means another few days before they could even ship.  Thinking I might try hitting up some Cad restoration shops. A good reminder to order more than you think you need.

Lexi

I live in Canada and I think Bellwood's Garage (in Fenelon Falls, Ontario), is one of the few, if only one, who stocks Hirsch Cadillac blue paint in both spray and brush on in the country. Have not bought from him in a couple of years, but try giving him a call and see what he can do for you, in a rush; 705-879-7755 and ask for Jim. There may be hoops to jump through as cross border shipping paint may not be straight forward. Clay/Lexi

signart

FYI.
There is a quart can on ebay now, but in New Jersey.
No affiliation on my part.
Art D. Woody

MidModCad

Thanks, I did see that, but I need the rattle can.

Bobby B

Quote from: MidModCad on July 04, 2021, 11:13:45 PM
Thanks, I did see that, but I need the rattle can.

Why do you need the rattle can? I've been brushing this stuff on for 40 years and it has the same finish as when it's sprayed. I've done it both ways from the quart can. They're about 20 minutes from my house and I knew Bill. One of the best there was....
                         Bobby
1947 Cadillac Series 62 Convertible Coupe
1968 Mustang Convertible
1973 Mustang Convertible
1969 Jaguar E-Type Roadster
1971 Datsun 240Z
1979 H-D FLH

The Tassie Devil(le)

I went to my local specialty paint supplier, and got it mixed up, and brushed it on, and still looking good.

One of the problems these days is that the carriers won't ship paint in the post, especially aerosol stuff.

I tried to get some Tyre paint (Coloured stuff) from Texas, where I used to buy it, and no more.   Simply won't ship it.

Bruce. >:D
'72 Eldorado Convertible (LHD)
'70 Ranchero Squire (RHD)
'74 Chris Craft Gull Wing (SH)
'02 VX Series II Holden Commodore SS Sedan
(Past President Modified Chapter)

Past Cars of significance - to me
1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1937 Chevrolet Sports Coupe
1955 Chevrolet Convertible
1959 Ford Fairlane Ranch Wagon
1960 Cadillac CDV
1972 Cadillac Eldorado Coupe

MidModCad

Haven't had any problem with Hirsch or others shipping aerosol. I used spray exclusively in order to get a factory look and it came out looking nearly showroom, so I'd like to keep it that way. There are other vendors offering Cad blu enamel, but I'm hesitant to mix with Hirsch. Anyone have experience with The Motor Company paints as sold on ebay?

jdemerson

I bought a spray can from Hirsch just a couple of weeks ago, with no problem. Perhaps I got their last can in stock.

I've used it before, too, and it is a high quality product. It is a high-temperature paint and it is the original color. I wouldn't mix it with another brand unless I knew for sure that it would be equivalent. I think I've seen old Cadillac engines that used a Ford blue. Nice color but NOT the same...

John Emerson
1952 Cadillac Sedan 6219X
John Emerson
Middlebury, Vermont
CLC member #26790
1952 Series 6219X
http://bit.ly/21AGnvn

signart

You can spray it, might have to thin it a little. I live in a small town and at least two parts stores that mix auto paint will load paint & reducer into a spray bomb ready to go, and they spray nicely.
Art D. Woody

MidModCad

Hadn't thought of that. Good idea!

Mike Josephic CLC #3877

Never rush a restoration to make a specific show.
There is an old expression -- "There's always
another show".

Stick with the Hirsch paint.  It's time tested and
works well.  I've painted several engines with it
and 25 years later it still looks great.  Plus, I
would not recommend top-coating that enamel
with something that might be chemically different.
You might ruin the whole job.

Just my 2 cents.

Mike
1955 Cadillac Eldorado
1973 Cadillac Eldorado
1995 Cadillac Seville
2004 Escalade
1997 GMC Suburban 4X4, 454 engine, 3/4 ton
custom built by Santa Fe in Evansville, IN
2011 Buick Lucerne CX
-------------------------------------
CLCMRC Museum Benefactor #38
Past: VP International Affiliates, Museum Board Director, President / Director Pittsburgh Region

Lexi

Agree with Mike. Hirsch says not even to top coat their brush on Cadillac blue with that from their spray can. Either were good to apply on their own directly to clean cast iron, but they recommended a primer first for any non-cast surfaces such as valve covers. Clay/Lexi