News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

Cadillac 472/500 Fan rotation

Started by cadillac ken, July 04, 2021, 01:06:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

cadillac ken

Hoping someone can start their 472/500 and tell me which way the engine fan on the front of the motor turns (hood open facing the engine). Is it Clockwise or Counter-Clockwise? 

Thanks, Ken

"Cadillac Kid" Greg Surfas 15364

Ken
Facing the motor from the front, the fan, PS pump, water pump, AC compressor and alternator all turn clockwise.
Greg Surfas
Cadillac Kid-Greg Surfas
Director Modified Chapter CLC
CLC #15364
66 Coupe deVille (now gone to the UK)
72 Eldo Cpe  (now cruising the sands in Quatar)
73 Coupe deVille
75 Coupe deElegance
76 Coupe deVille
79 Coupe de ville with "Paris" (pick up) option and 472 motor
514 inch motor now in '73-

cadillac ken

Thanks Greg. 

I have a March serpentine pulley set up on my engine.  They included a water pump but they are not getting back to me if the one included with their kit is a reverse rotation water pump.  I just put a new water pump on the engine so really don't want to have to pull it and replace it if the rotation is the same.  Of course not thinking it would be and issue,  I didn't pay attention to the rotation before I removed all the OEM v-belts and brackets.  ::)

Cadman-iac

Hi Ken,
  An easy way to tell what direction it's intended to rotate is by the pulley itself.  If the pulley has the typical ribs that match the serpentine belt, it rotates in the same direction as the crankshaft.  If the pulley has a smooth surface intended to be used on the back, or outside surface of the belt, then the rotation is going to be opposite of the crankshaft, or counterclockwise. If that's the case, you will need a new fan blade and clutch if you're running a clutch.
HTH

Rick
CLC# 32373
1956 Coupe Deville A/C car "Norma Jean"

Dave Shepherd

In a standard flow engine the water pump should turn clockwise, not recommended  to reverse that.

cadillac ken

Quote from: Dave Shepherd on July 05, 2021, 09:27:28 AM
In a standard flow engine the water pump should turn clockwise, not recommended  to reverse that.

It's kind of an afterthought on my part.  The Serpentine system and brackets are all installed on the engine.  They included a new water pump that I did not install since I had already put a new water pump on the engine before this new Serpentine belt system and brackets were installed.

But I have noticed that some kits they sell, like the one for a BB Chevy engine, route the belt in such a way as it is necessary for them to supply the customer with a reverse rotation water pump in order to maintain the correct flow through the cooling system--as the new routing of the belt is done in such a way that the OEM water pump would be running "backwards"-- like you said, not a good idea at all.

Cheers, Ken

TJ Hopland

Since you can see the impeller in the cad pumps pretty easy you should be able to compare the supplied one with a stock one to see if they did anything different.   
73 Eldo convert w/FiTech EFI, over 30 years of ownership and counting
Somewhat recently deceased daily drivers, 80 Eldo Diesel & 90 CDV
And other assorted stuff I keep buying for some reason

cadillac ken

Quote from: TJ Hopland on July 05, 2021, 01:47:59 PM
Since you can see the impeller in the cad pumps pretty easy you should be able to compare the supplied one with a stock one to see if they did anything different.

Well that is/was the problem... I already have the whole Serpentine assembly installed.  I had put on a new OEM water pump on the engine when I redid everything and I was hoping to save from removing the new OEM pump I put on to inspect and compare.

AS A FOLLOW UP...thanks to those here who responded, I cranked my engine over and it indeed turns clockwise as it did originally.  So the new pulley system does not require a reverse rotation pump.  All good!

Cheers, Ken.

TJ Hopland

I was thinking you could look at photos of the stock pump to compare.

So was it as someone stated above where the groove side of the belt is what is going over the pulley?    Typically serp setups it runs on the back side of the belt so that is why the reverse pump.   It was common for dual engine marine setups to have one engine running backwards so things like reverse water pumps already existed when serp belts came on the scene.
73 Eldo convert w/FiTech EFI, over 30 years of ownership and counting
Somewhat recently deceased daily drivers, 80 Eldo Diesel & 90 CDV
And other assorted stuff I keep buying for some reason

chrisntam

Quote from: cadillac ken on July 05, 2021, 03:12:14 PM
Well that is/was the problem... I already have the whole Serpentine assembly installed.  I had put on a new OEM water pump on the engine when I redid everything and I was hoping to save from removing the new OEM pump I put on to inspect and compare.

AS A FOLLOW UP...thanks to those here who responded, I cranked my engine over and it indeed turns clockwise as it did originally.  So the new pulley system does not require a reverse rotation pump.  All good!

Cheers, Ken.

So you're gonna leave us hanging without a picture?   You gotta post a pic!
1970 Deville Convertible 
Dallas, Texas

cadillac ken

I'd love to... But the car (my 1937 Cadillac 60 Coupe) was invited to the 2021 Detroit Autorama as a Ridler contender-- but the show was cancelled due to Covid.  So they have a strict policy of only inviting cars that have never been seen, photographed, shared on Social Media, etc. ( including paint sampling, engine photos, anything) And since I plan on resubmitting my application package for 2022, the Show Chairman made it quite clear that the car must remain "under wraps".  :(

They even ask you to list all your Social Media accounts on your application to back check any visual exposure of the car in any way.

Lexi

Ken congratulations on the invite to the Detroit Autorama as a Ridler contender. Quite an honour! When you do get your Cadillac there please post some photos in 2022. Clay/Lexi

Cadman-iac

Yes, please post some pictures once you can do so. And congratulations on your invitation to the show, and best of luck to you. It must be a fantastic car to be considered for this honor.

Rick
CLC# 32373

cadillac ken

Thanks guys.  Yes I was quite surprised to be invited with less than 20 cars invited nationwide to contend for such a prestigious award.

The car was seen in my shop by the "right people" who contacted the show director unbeknownst to me.  Both shocked and honored at the same time to have been invited--- and you can imagine my disappointment when only 2 days before the transport company was to show up at my shop to take the car to Detroit, I was contacted by the Show Chairman and told that the show was cancelled --- But was also told "we would be honored to have you apply again next year for the 2022 Ridler Award".  Since I have my 20'x20' display already built and the car all done, I can't pass up the opportunity if it presents itself again.

I certainly will have photos after the fact.  I know my chance of winning is pretty slim but I would love to be selected as a Great 8 Ridler Award finalist.  That alone would be a real achievement for me. 

Wish me luck folks !!

Cheers Ken

Cadman-iac

The only problem Ken, is that now you'll have to keep your car under wraps for an entire year, without being able to enjoy driving it or anything. 
That alone would drive me nuts!! Yes, best of luck, and hang in there, next year will eventually get here.

Rick
CLC# 32373