News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

Trying to find lock codes on a 1950 Miller Cadillac

Started by Aldixie, July 05, 2021, 08:29:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Aldixie

Hi All,
I'm trying to find the lock codes for a 1950 Miller Combination. I have removed both driver and passenger door handles but don't see any codes. Does the ignition and door handle use the same key?  Should I check the glove box lock or is that different from the rest?

The project car didn't come with any keys and I'm trying to keep it original as much as I can.

Thanks
Alex Dixie

fishnjim

Without the original build sheet, probably not going to fond that info.   GM archives won't release key codes anymore.   
Any competent lock smith should be able to make a set of keys.   You can send them off to Jesser's also.

JLB

Working on my 1940, I found lock codes on the internal parts of the lock itself. Specifically the trunk lock had the lock code stamped into the housing reaching from the external cover to the internal lock mechanism.
Jim LeBlanc
jim_leblanc@yahoo.com
1940 V16 Town Car
CLC Member #33340

Aldixie

Quote from: JLB on July 05, 2021, 09:31:57 AM
Working on my 1940, I found lock codes on the internal parts of the lock itself. Specifically the trunk lock had the lock code stamped into the housing reaching from the external cover to the internal lock mechanism.

On my 55 Coupe and 56 Sedan the codes were on the lock barrel. I may have to take the lock button out of the handle.
Alex Dixie

Aldixie

Quote from: fishnjim on July 05, 2021, 09:20:04 AM
Without the original build sheet, probably not going to fond that info.   GM archives won't release key codes anymore.   
Any competent lock smith should be able to make a set of keys.   You can send them off to Jesser's also.

I know the build information when it was at A.J. Miller was all destroyed in a fire they had at the factory. They don't even have the number of units built. It's a pretty rare car.
Alex Dixie

Eric DeVirgilis CLC# 8621

Quote from: Aldixie on July 05, 2021, 10:02:58 AM
I know the build information when it was at A.J. Miller was all destroyed in a fire they had at the factory. They don't even have the number of units built. It's a pretty rare car.

I tread carefully but commercial chassis still should have left the GM with locks installed in the front doors and the codes listed in the original build sheet. To my knowledge, the ignition and door key were the same up until 1973.

Unfortunately the codes are whited out when you order the sheet however, when I spoke to Allied Vaughan explaining the situation that the codes were needed, they offered to provide the codes to a local GM dealer who would relay them to me- on the condition I provide ID & proof of ownership to the car. However  another potential problem remains that one or both of the locks were changed in which case the original codes would be of no use.

Best bet is to remove the lock cylinder(s) and examine for code stampings as suggested above.
A Cadillac Motorcar is a Possession for which there is no Acceptable Substitute

Aldixie

Quote from: Eric DeVirgilis CLC# 8621 on July 05, 2021, 10:21:53 AM
I tread carefully but commercial chassis still should have left the GM with locks installed in the front doors and the codes listed in the original build sheet. To my knowledge, the ignition and door key were the same up until 1973.

Unfortunately the codes are whited out when you order the sheet however, when I spoke to Allied Vaughan explaining the situation that the codes were needed, they offered to provide the codes to a local GM dealer who would relay them to me- on the condition I provide ID & proof of ownership to the car. However  another potential problem remains that one or both of the locks were changed in which case the original codes would be of no use.

Best bet is to remove the lock cylinder(s) and examine for code stampings as suggested above.

I removed the barrels, even took off the stainless covers but no markings anywhere that I can see. The last time the vehicle was on the road was 1967.
Alex Dixie