News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

Distributor question

Started by timer2, July 05, 2021, 08:33:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

timer2

I just got around to replacing the distributor on my '54 and the manual shows a gasket on the bottom of oil pump drive gear. How critical is this gasket? The distributor I removed is for a '56 according to the tag on the distributor body. There appears to be no gasket installed when this later distributor was installed. The new distributor is the correct one for a '54. Thanks  T. Irvin

Poncholover

Easy to cut from paper, use an O ring or thin string. Keeps your engine a little less oily but will run great without it.
Flattie Caddy

timer2

Thanks Ponch, I'll probably leave it out. Doesn't look to be a lot of clearance between the drive gear bottom and where it sits in the hole. The o-ring at the top near the hold down clamp should keep oil from seeping out the top. T. Irvin