News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

Front Suspension

Started by Jvteach07, July 06, 2021, 05:11:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jvteach07

Can anyone help me identify these parts and if they are DIY or I need to bring it in to a shop for repair?

Thank you

Joe Tortora
1970 Cadillac Devill Convertible

TJ Hopland

Those are the lower ball joints.   It depends on your abilities.    I believe on that car those are held to the lower control arm with a thread on collar.   I'm sure there is a special tool to make unscrewing that easy but no idea how hard it is to improvise.     Its held to the knuckle like most with a tapered shaft that can also sometimes be tricky to get to pop loose. 
73 Eldo convert w/FiTech EFI, over 30 years of ownership and counting
Somewhat recently deceased daily drivers, 80 Eldo Diesel & 90 CDV
And other assorted stuff I keep buying for some reason

The Tassie Devil(le)

I agree that not knowing what they are would suggest to me that replacing these joints is not a task that anyone without the know-how should attempt to undertake.

Yes, they could be classed as a DIY task, but then, anything apart from medical operations could be classed as DIY.

The Shop Manual will explain what has to be done, and the steps to take, but if you have to go out and purchase the necessary tools to safely complete the task, and you never use these tools again, then it would be cheaper to go to a Garage to get it done.

Tools needed at a minimum will be a jack, wheel wrench, pliers, Ring Spanner, large ball peen hammer, and an even larger one to act as an Anvil behind the upright when bashing with the smaller one.   Then, as I am not sure how the joint is held to the lower control arm, there could be a press required, or a drill and bits to remove rivets.

Complicated?   No, but strength involved, along with finesse, yes.

Bruce. >:D
'72 Eldorado Convertible (LHD)
'70 Ranchero Squire (RHD)
'74 Chris Craft Gull Wing (SH)
'02 VX Series II Holden Commodore SS Sedan
(Past President Modified Chapter)

Past Cars of significance - to me
1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1937 Chevrolet Sports Coupe
1955 Chevrolet Convertible
1959 Ford Fairlane Ranch Wagon
1960 Cadillac CDV
1972 Cadillac Eldorado Coupe

Cape Cod Fleetwood

Its going to a shop... that knows how to work on old cars.
They should have mentioned those ball joints when they did the stabilizer bars.
I'd take a look at the upper ball joints too.
And I'd be saving my pennies for new rotors.
I just had my entire front end done, including pittman arm. The only thing we
didn't change was the steering box. You'll only do this once, so....
I used all Moog parts, no problems.
There are 2 kinds of cars in the world, Cadillac and everything else....

The Present -1970 Fleetwood Brougham

The Past -
1996 Deville Concours
1987 Sedan De Ville "Commonwealth Edition"
1981 Coupe De Ville (8-6-4)
1976 Sedan De Ville
1975 Sedan De Ville

The Daily Driver and work slave -
2008 GMC Acadia SLT *options/all

Roger Zimmermann

If the lower arm is not supported during the ball joint's replacement, it will be very dangerous as the spring will push down the arm when the ball joint is removed.
From the way you asked about those parts, I'm concluding that it will be safer for you to let the work done by a shop.
1956 Sedan de Ville (sold)
1956 Eldorado Biarritz
1957 Eldorado Brougham (sold)
1972 Coupe de Ville
2011 DTS
CLCMRC benefactor #101

klinebau

Quote from: TJ Hopland on July 06, 2021, 05:20:00 PM
I believe on that car those are held to the lower control arm with a thread on collar.

This looks like a '70.  The lower ball joints are pressed in.  The lower control control arm will likely need to be removed in order to put them in a press.  For reference, the upper ball joints are also pressed in, but the factory added a tack weld to secure them.  Replacements are available that use a collar to secure them to the upper control arm.
1970 Cadillac Deville Convertible
Detroit, MI