News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

Forties Cadillac & LaSalle Prices

Started by GBrown #8092, July 07, 2021, 11:23:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

GBrown #8092

Is it just me, or have the prices of nice driver quality 40's vintage Cadillacs & LaSalles taken a tumble in the last few months?

I have noticed as of late that 70's vintage car prices seem to have taken off, but that very nice appearing Forties and late thirties cars have taken a dive. Almost to where I can afford to buy one. ;)

Am I the only one who noticed this?  I know its generally said that people buy what they couldn't afford in high school, but the phenomenon seems to rather recent in origin.

Glenn

Scot Minesinger

Yes, I have noticed that the Cadillacs that cannot be driven very safely (55 mph in right lane is not very safe) on highways and keep up with modern traffic are not keeping up with classics that can.  Late 1950's and up that can cruise at 75mph effortlessly, even though the original brakes may not be quite there, seem to appreciate more.  Plus late 1950's and newer are often equipped with ac, power windows, and other comforts many consider a constitutional right are more comfortable to drive.  Every classic car person is different, but many (such as myself) fall into the "want to drive and enjoy" category, and sadly the mid 50's and newer are not appreciated by classic car owners that want to drive them as much as more modern but still cool classics. 

I drove my 1970 Cadillac on the highway today and ran a few errands top down and all. And I'm not retired.  The earlier classics might make this simple and fun errand more work.

It amazes me that it is fine to drive a 50 year old car (or even of course a 20 year old car) on the highway and keep up with modern traffic.  You could not write that statement in 1970.
Fairfax Station, VA  22039 (Washington DC Sub)
1970 Cadillac DeVille Convertible
1970 Cadillac Sedan DeVille
1970 four door Convertible w/Cadillac Warranty

fishnjim

I think collector cars is a generational thing.   The people that remember/hold dear the pre-war are dying off, >80.   No one to pick up the demand slack.   50-60s will be next and so forth.
The '70-80s trend now are mid-aged people with money that recall the autos their family had.   If you're older and recall/drove the '70 & 80s cars, you don't hold them very fondly.   The 5 mph bumpers, low compression, etc. and the GM quality dip.
When I was in my youth, the WW2 guys were all over the model As.  You could not buy one back then for 2x the price of a new car.  Henry steel was king, and lead to the fiberglass repros.   Now those restored back then are selling for about the same cost, but the dollar has shrunk so bad, it's not even a 1/4 price of a new car now, some are less.   The older they get the fewer parts, numbers, etc. make ownership a headache most don't want.   You see on here a lot, converting from 6V, putting MP3, blue tooth, cell phone outlets, disc brakes, etc on their classic.   Who listens to AM radio anymore - unless you're in he boonies in a construction zone...

Chuck Patton

Hello Glenn

Good observation! As an Appraiser the market has declined dramatically for Prewar-1958 LaSalle and Cadillac models. This has also effected parts availability, AND the ability to find quality workmanship. As Baby Boomers....age their era vehicles lose demand.
As you astutely pointed out there is an increase in seventies  values. Personally, I promote 1980s and 1990s vehicles to new car hobby Females, LGBTQ, Millennials, Generation X,Y and Z because of their affordability.
Appraiser-Broker-Consultant
Past CLC National Board Director
Past CLCMRC Director
Past CLC Motor City Region President
CLC 1959-60 Cadillac Chapter Director
CLC Life Member #23147

Andrew Trout

From a usability standpoint, I like the 12-volt electric, power steering, power brakes, power windows, power seats, and A/C that are readily available in post-WWII cars.

From a styling standpoint, I absolutely love mid-century modern styling and design in homes, appliances, and furniture so I'm drawn more to cars from the mid-1950s to mid the mid-1960s.
Rochester, NY
1961 Convertible

The Tassie Devil(le)

I have found that most people when buying a "special" car, get caught up in the types that they first remember as a child, as in what their first good memories were.

In my own case, it was 1936 Ford - none of my relatives, nor anyone else in our area, could afford any sort of luxury car.

Bruce. >:D
'72 Eldorado Convertible (LHD)
'70 Ranchero Squire (RHD)
'74 Chris Craft Gull Wing (SH)
'02 VX Series II Holden Commodore SS Sedan
(Past President Modified Chapter)

Past Cars of significance - to me
1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1937 Chevrolet Sports Coupe
1955 Chevrolet Convertible
1959 Ford Fairlane Ranch Wagon
1960 Cadillac CDV
1972 Cadillac Eldorado Coupe

Clewisiii

And my First car was a 1990 Plymouth.    I got into Cadillacs because my Grandma sold me her 1994 DeVille in the early 2000s.  I loved that car. But the trans went out at 250,000 miles.   I already noticed that the price of nice 94-96 Cadillacs has gone up.
"My interest is in the future, because I am going to spend the rest of my life there."  Charles Kettering

Jim Miller

I've noticed the pricing and have also noticed fewer posts in the forum for Cadillacs prior to the early 50s. Like an investment you'll only lose money when you sell, so I'm going to drive my cars and not worry about it.
Jim Miller

1941 6219
1949 6237X
1970 CDV
2021 XT6
Past:
1991 SDV
1999 DeElegence
2006 DTS
2013 XTS
2016 SRX

The Tassie Devil(le)

The biggest problem with the older cars is the lack of availability of cheap parts, plus the cars that are usually for sale at a price that anyone trying to get into the market, need the parts that simply are not available.

The biggest "killer" of limiting parts is the stripping of old car wrecking yards of anything that was heavy enough to feed the insatiable appetited of the Scrap Dealers, and the Legislators to get "affordable" older cars off the roads, in the pretext of trying to get everyone to get rid of vehicles that used Lead in their petrol.

The Clunker Legislation virtually destroyed a large chunk of the old car industry in one hit.

Bruce. >:D
'72 Eldorado Convertible (LHD)
'70 Ranchero Squire (RHD)
'74 Chris Craft Gull Wing (SH)
'02 VX Series II Holden Commodore SS Sedan
(Past President Modified Chapter)

Past Cars of significance - to me
1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1937 Chevrolet Sports Coupe
1955 Chevrolet Convertible
1959 Ford Fairlane Ranch Wagon
1960 Cadillac CDV
1972 Cadillac Eldorado Coupe

Jamurray

Older cars go through cycles. Time was Model A Ford roadsters were cheaper that a box of Cracker Jacks. They"re not cheap anymore. A '35 Ford Convertible Coupe just sold on Hemmings for north of $36K. Older restoration, mechanical brakes, but looked decent in the pictures. Fords have the advantage in that parts are still available. Still that's strong money for a pre-war motor car. The buyer wanted it and would have have the '35 than 120 days in a convalescent home.

Jay Friedman

I think parts availability of parts for older cars depends on the years one means by "older" and the make of the car. 

In my own experience parts are readily available for almost any year of Ford.  I used to own a 1932 Ford V8, and while authentic '32 parts are in short supply (fuel pump, water pumps, coil and some others), parts meant for later year Fords are plentiful and will fit and work perfectly.  I have heard that almost every part is available for Model T and A Fords out of catalogs.  I think that is also true of 1955-57 Chevrolets.

Almost all parts have always been readily available for my '49 Cadillac, with some exceptions, particularly some chrome trim.  However, even some of these are now reproduced at a high price.

On the other hand, I have heard that parts are scarce for older Chrysler products cars.  For example, I was once offered a 1932 Plymouth touring car in fairly good condition, but which was missing some parts, including the radiator cap and hub caps.  I called a well-known Mopar parts vendor who told me they are difficult if not impossible to find, so I didn't buy the car.

1949 Cadillac 6107 Club Coupe
1932 Ford V8 Phaeton (restored, not a rod).  Sold
Decatur, Georgia
CLC # 3210, since 1984
"If it won't work, get a bigger hammer."

bcroe

Sure we need to keep a few samples of where we came from
around, mostly in museums I suppose.  I think those who love
old cars are the same people who loved them when they were
common on the street.  So demand for those not-so-road-worthy
cars is going to drop. 

I see the late 70s cars as the evolution of safety, elegant drive
train design, and low maintenance.  After suffering many a 60s
car, I now refuse to keep any driver (they are all drivers) unless
it has disc brakes, radial tires, electronic ignition and alternator,
halogen headlights, seat belts, is happy with unleaded crap fuel,
and is pretty easy and cheap to maintain.  I bought them new,
and pretty much have the same generation to this day.  After a
few attempts, I tire of trying to bring up an older car to those
standard, why bother?  If you love fat fenders, have at it. 

As for the latest cars, the other driver bought a 2020 which she
says she hates, from new the electronics have issues which are
only expected to get worse till it must be disposed of.  It is hard
to get in and out of, since it is so low to improve gas mileage. 
Bruce Roe

cadillac ken

All the posts above make great points and most likely in total explain the failing interest in the Pre-war cars. 

To add though, I see that modified pre-war cars are showing up strong.  Perhaps the points made about power accessories and drive-ability are the most considerable.  Even a run of the mill 1970 2bbl Mach 1 Mustang is hard pressed to bring $35K as a restored car.  But, as a Resto-mod -- 4Wheel disc brakes, A/C, with a replacement warmed over 351ci can push a car like that over that threshold.

My modified '37 Cadillac Coupe would most likely be sold for twice (maybe more) than one that was restored. Not that all old pre-war cars should be modified--- definitely not.  But on the topic of value; Replacing rust, upholstery work, engine work, etc. is the same cost no matter what car you are doing.  So a restoration is costly and the payoff for a pre-war Cadillac is not as rewarding.  And as we have seen, not as desirable as reflected in the price.

Eric DeVirgilis CLC# 8621

Be careful about making broad generalizations. V16s & V12s are also prewar and they're still not cheap by any means, nor are they lacking in collector interest.
A Cadillac Motorcar is a Possession for which there is no Acceptable Substitute

chrisntam

Quote from: Eric DeVirgilis CLC# 8621 on July 09, 2021, 11:06:57 AM
Be careful about making broad generalizations. V16s & V12s are also prewar and they're still not cheap by any means, nor are they lacking in collector interest.

I think we all know that we're talking about the little guy here, not the Big Rolla's.  The BRs are into the exotic, high end stuff, the little guy (most of us here) are into the run of the mill cars.
1970 Deville Convertible 
Dallas, Texas

Scot Minesinger

The Cadillac V-12's and V-16's (Dues., Lincoln V-12's, and etc.) are the exception for sure.  Just saying a 1970 Chevy is worth more than a 1950, due primarily to drive ability on modern roads and parts availability.  Cadillacs were also superior cars especially 50 years ago.  A 1969 Cadillac will out drive a 1974 base Chevy Nova.  A 1949 Cadillac will also out drive a base 1954 Chevy.  Generally I agree 100% with Bruce 1970's (except for quality control) were the pinnacle of American cars.  1980's American cars are generally no match (inferior) to the 1970's American cars.  The 1960's cars sure looked great, but they were not as reliable as 1970's.
Fairfax Station, VA  22039 (Washington DC Sub)
1970 Cadillac DeVille Convertible
1970 Cadillac Sedan DeVille
1970 four door Convertible w/Cadillac Warranty

LaSalle5019

Most of the brass era cars are quite pricey too and it's not because they keep up with modern traffic. Personally, I'm a pre-war guy so falling prices isn't a bad thing for me as I can add or upgrade with less investment and whatever I own gets driven.