News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

5960 Cadillac Floormats

Started by Chuck Patton, July 07, 2021, 01:50:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chuck Patton

Hello

Looking for 1959-1960 Cadillac factory new reproduction floormats? USA Parts is out of business. OPGI does not have them. McVey does not have them. I would prefer to deal with a manufacturer. However, I could live with a Retailer.

Please respond to me fifty9sixtycadillacsemail addresses not permitted

Thanks
Chuck
Appraiser-Broker-Consultant
Past CLC National Board Director
Past CLCMRC Director
Past CLC Motor City Region President
CLC 1959-60 Cadillac Chapter Director
CLC Life Member #23147

Eric DeVirgilis CLC# 8621

System is preventing me from posting links.

They're available at Caddy Daddy. Type "1959 floor mats" in the search bar of their site and all colors will be shown.
A Cadillac Motorcar is a Possession for which there is no Acceptable Substitute

winger888

76 Eldorado Bicentennial
79 Lincoln Town Car Collectors Series

gkhashem

Quote from: winger888 on July 08, 2021, 12:44:11 PM
https://www.accmats.com/commerce/1959/Cadillac//Floor%20Mat/

Those do not look like reproductions.

I have used Caddy Daddy in the past, not cheap but close.The Cadillac emblem on the originals is not white but  a shade of the mat color. The repros use a white emblem. Not exact but other than that a close repro.
1959 Oldsmobile 98 Holiday Sports Sedan
1960 Cadillac Coupe Deville (CLC Sr #72)
1964 Oldsmobile 98 Town Sedan (OCA 1st)
1970 GMC C1500
1977 Oldsmobile 98 Regency Coupe
1978 Cadillac Coupe Deville (CLC Sr Crown #959)*
1992 Oldsmobile 98 (OCA 1st)
1996 Oldsmobile 98
*CLC Past President's Preservation

Past Cadillacs
1959 Coupe Deville
1966 Coupe Deville (Sr #861)*
1991 Eldorado Biarritz (Sr #838)

Jason Edge

Quote from: Eric DeVirgilis CLC# 8621 on July 08, 2021, 06:08:01 PM
Wow have they gotten expensive!

https://www.caddydaddy.com/nsearch/?q=1959+floor+mats
Roughly $225 more than USA were selling the same floormats. Prices are the same for the 61-64 mats that hold my interest: WERE $349.95 at USA, ARE $575 at CD. 

USA had very reasonable prices, usually had the stuff in stock, and had the best look-up catalog anywhere (I still use their paper and PDF USA catalog to quickly find parts group #'s, etc.)   It's kinda like the old school machine shop here in Garner NC that folded this past year, you don't know how good you had it until they are gone!  I tried to support USA til the very end, ordering parts where I could, helping Mike and his team supply 63/64 parts and offer a discount like I would a CLC Chapter member but it was very sad to see them close down for good.

With that I have an extra set of the 1961 to 1964 floormats in white I will trade for 10 sheets of 1/2" BC grade plywood.... <--- just some humor here folks.
Jason Edge
Lifetime Member
Exec Vice President
1963/64 Cadillac Chapter Director - https://6364cadillac.ning.com
Carolina Region Webmaster - https://cr-clc.ning.com
CLC MRC Benefactor
email - jasonedge64@outlook.com
1964 Coupe DeVille - Sierra Gold - http://bit.ly/1WnOQRX
2002 Escalade EXT - Black
2013 Escalade EXT Premium Edition - Xenon Blue
2022 XT5 Luxury Premium - Dark Moon Blue Metallic

gkhashem

Seems like a ad for USA Supply here, well they are dead and as someone I knew would say sarcastically "most unfortunate".

I bought mine from Caddy Daddy in 9/2014 and at the time they were $300.00. They were about the same price everywhere. I bought from them since they had my color.   If USA Supply were selling them now, do you not think the price would be higher?

This is the consequence of printing money.  I am trying not to be political, but these are facts. You ain't seen nothing yet, hold on for the reimagining of our lifestyles. As stock needs to be reordered, watch the prices climb. We should all be alarmed, especially those on a fixed income and retired. Instead people are focusing on trivial or make believe issues.

USA was never cheap before and would not be now, seems like the people in charge at USA Supply were inept at business.

I conclude that from dealing with them. Customer service was not their high point. I remember USA Supply trying to jam junk down my throat, that I knew was incorrect. So when they tried to strong arm me for $15.00, I got my money back. After that experience I never looked at them again. The person on the other end of the line was rude, he needed a lesson on phone manners. In addition, if they were that greedy and desperate for $15.00, no way did I want to buy an expensive item from them. I could only imagine the aggravation for a larger sum of money.

I am not cheap, but if I pay top dollar for an authentic item I expect the correct item. I would rather pay and get the correct item than save 25% and get junk. Especially if the item is expensive.
1970 GMC C1500
1996 Oldsmobile 98

Past Cadillacs
1959 Coupe Deville

71 Fleetwood

Thanks for the ACCMats.com shortcut.

I found that my unfortunately named "light grey" carpet from 1971 is powder blue or lapis blue.  Being bad at colors is a curse that probably kept me from being a world renowned fashion designer or something.   ::)

Someday, I'd really love to find rubber mats that are period correct.

Being new here I have tried CaddyDaddy for a fuel sender and service was quick-quick.
1971 Fleetwood Sixty Special Brougham

Agreed with George- I've generally found prices between USA and Caddy Daddy comparable. I've purchased a total of three sets of 59 mats from Caddy Daddy over the past 8 years and the cost ranged between $300-$400 during that time. Emblem color aside, they're the closest to OEM mats available that I've been able to find. It should be noted that certain colors, ie, red, black mats did have white emblems originally.   

I stopped dealing with USA once they refused the return of a defective 1959 water pump they sent me on the basis of: 1) I had painted it (who wouldn't?) and 2) that it had been installed on a car- without which it would have been impossible to determine it was defective!

Finally got the issue resolved through my credit card issuer who agreed with my case. Needless to say I was completely baffled by their stance, especially considering in the position they're in.

Quote from: Reavette on July 09, 2021, 09:22:35 AM
Thanks for the ACCMats.com shortcut.

I found that my unfortunately named "light grey" carpet from 1971 is powder blue or lapis blue.

As far as I can see, the ACC mats are carpeted; original 1971 mats are not. I don't know of any floor mats being reproduced for model year Cadillacs after 1970. I have a decent set of original mats for 71-73 but the color is wrong for your car (yellow-gold).

marty55cdv

So I am the guy actually looking for the mats, I have also bought these in the past for my 58,59 ,60, 64,  I am waiting on delivery of a 60 Persian Sand Coupe . I was planning on replacing the carpet and putting some mats in as well, I bought the past mats from Caddy Daddy and USA, OPGI and even from Hydro-Lectric basically whoever had the color I wanted,  OPGI still has them for sedans in limited colors for 359.00, I believe Maroon is the color to go with Persian sand when I saw the cost from CD and limited availability , I contacted Chuck to see if he knew where they actually come from, it is still a mystery, a lead that it might be Legendary Auto is being looked at by Chuck.  I think 550.00 is past my comfort level for a set of mats no matter how much I like them  :-[
Marty Smith
  CLC #22760
41 60 Special http://bit.ly/1Wm0GvT
55 CDV http://bit.ly/1G933IY
56 Fleetwood
1958 Extended Deck http://bit.ly/1NPYhGC
1959 Fleetwood  http://bit.ly/1OFsrOE
1960 Series 62 Coupe
1960 Sedan DeVille  4 window Flattop
63 Fleetwood http://bit.ly/1iSz17J
1964 Eldorado http://bit.ly/1Wm17GA  (Living in California now)
1988 EBC http://bit.ly/1iSACKz

gkhashem

Marty

I suspect once the OPGI stock runs out you will not find them for $359.00 anymore.

Then again, I agree that $550 is a lot but if you have a $50,000 or up to a $200,000 car what's the point about skimping on the mats for $200? If you got a nice car why not get the correct mats?  A nice car deserves them and holding out is not going to sway them one bit. They do not make them, but just buy them from the supplier.

If I can still afford it I would go with the proper mats, every time you get into the car you are going to see the wrong mat! Why aggravate yourself especially if you have done all the work to get the car right and then stop short of the finish line for $200?
1970 GMC C1500
1996 Oldsmobile 98

Past Cadillacs
1959 Coupe Deville

rwchatham CLC 21892

USA parts  was the original producer of the 59-60 mats that everyone has been selling. About 20-25 years ago I ordered 15 sets from the first  batch they had made up . With them being gone it will be a good question if someone else will contact the manufacturer  they were using to have more sets made up .
R. Waligora

Jason Edge

Quote from: gkhashem on July 09, 2021, 08:45:49 AM
I bought mine from Caddy Daddy in 9/2014 and at the time they were $300.00. They were about the same price everywhere. I bought from them since they had my color.   If USA Supply were selling them now, do you not think the price would be higher?
I bought my last complete floor mat set from USA parts on August 22, 2014 for $249.95. Earlier this year their price had risen to $349.95. A reasonable amount in 7 years. If Caddy Daddy went from $300 to $575, I would say that lends itself to price gouging and not typical price increases due to inflation and S&P. 

I will also say that as a small time parts seller myself, just because you CAN get crazy money for something doesn't mean you should. An example would be the 1963/64 front engine cover where there is a big damand. I could sell them all day long for $500 to $1000 but instead price at about $250 ... and that is a piece that I have cleaned, bead blasted, closely inspected and shared dozens of hi res pictures. I feel that rarity and demand justifies some price increase (I sold them for $75 25 years ago), but do not believe in just selling at exagerated prices only to those with deep pockets. I currently have about 22 customers on my Wait List for these front covers. I give 1st preference to Chapter Members.  I am constantly putting these hard to find parts in the hands of customers I like to call friends that may have been waiting a while but didn't want to take out a 2nd mortgage to get a front engine cover ... or set of floor mats. If Caddy Daddy had them priced at $375 to say maybe $425.. that would be expected... but $575... that is price gouging.   

The bottom line is if you treat a customer right they will keep coming back to you 5, 10, 20 even 25 years later.  Yes, I understand USA Parts fell on hard times, and pershaps were not a tip-top company at the very end, but they provided a good service for over 2 decades. I have a stack of receipts from them and never had to return anything. Perhaps I just got lucky, but I always had solid dealings with them. 
Jason Edge
Lifetime Member
Exec Vice President
CLC MRC Benefactor

gkhashem

Quote from: Jason Edge on July 09, 2021, 03:03:19 PM
If Caddy Daddy had them priced at $375 to say maybe $425.. that would be expected... but $575... that is price gouging.   

Not knowing the current status of the cost or who is actually making them or not making them it is almost impossible to say for sure they are price gouging. I for one can admit I do not have enough information to make an accusation of price gouging, but I do know if a vendor treats its customers like garbage. I am not the only one here who has had this experience with this vendor.

Considering the sorry state of the supply chain at the current moment, prices are spiraling out of control. You do not create wealth by printing money, you only cause inflation and economic difficulties.

I find this "opinion" of price gouging possible, but I think it would be unfair to make such an accusation unless you know the details.

Fortunately this is an item that is not a necessity, so people can refuse to buy it. If people refuse to buy the price will have to go down or the vendor will make no sales. I prefer to let the market decide.

1970 GMC C1500
1996 Oldsmobile 98

Past Cadillacs
1959 Coupe Deville

Jason...I'm not in a position to say what mat prices should or shouldn't be, but the economic/price conditions of today are dramatically different than those of the spring 2020. In fact, it wouldn't be too far to say this level of inflation over this short time is unprecedented in US history during peacetime (more or less). 

Jason Edge

Quote from: Eric DeVirgilis CLC# 8621 on July 09, 2021, 04:52:43 PM
Jason...I'm not in a position to say what mat prices should or shouldn't be, but the economic/price conditions of today are dramatically different than those of the spring 2020. In fact, it wouldn't be too far to say this level of inflation over this short time is unprecedented in US history during peacetime (more or less).
I am comparing prices spring 2021. USA $349, CD $575.   CD has almost always been considerably more than USA, and anyone else for that matter. The prior post said they bought mats summer of 2014 from CD for $300. I bought my last set at the same time from USA for $249.  That's roughly a 20% price difference.. not too bad but someone on a budget could have saved $60 by checking around and perhaps getting them from the company that had them made to start with. As of 2 months ago (that is 2021, not 2020 or 2019) USA had the mats for $349, and CD for $575. (That's a 64% price difference). Anyone that had compared prices, pre-COVID or during COVID between USA and CD know that USA typcially offered better prices hands down.

I am glad I have 2 sets of mats for my personal 64 Coupe de Ville that I sourced from USA Parts. 1st set bought in 2001 for $209, and a 2nd sent in 2014 for $249. Both reasonable prices.   Like I said maybe $375 to $475 might be reasonable, but $575 is like that $83 a sheet 1/2" BC grade plywood I have kept in my Cart for about a year watching it go from $23 a sheet to $83.  Perhaps CD will raise their prices for mats to $1000 or even $2000. It's only money, and there's that COVID thing, and inflation... right?

In the big Supply & Demand scheme of things my demand goes way down when you gouge the prices.  Just my perspective folks of someone that has been buying and selling parts (like many of you) for a qtr century. Set a good price, make your money, but don't gouge me.  When I set my prices for used parts I look around, so I see what is going on.  For example here was an example I was looking at yesterday - when I see that new steering gear for the 63/64 Cadillacs on CD for $600 selling under the Cardone brand also brand new at Rock Auto for $304.79, (right now.. not back then), you get a feel for what is fair and what is gouging. 
Jason Edge
Lifetime Member
Exec Vice President
CLC MRC Benefactor

Jason...Since the water pump debacle in 2012 I disowned USA from my radar so my only data points come from CD and the last time I purchased a set of 59 mats was from them for $400 which was in 2017. Now they are $575 which compared to any number of goods isn't all that out of line from then to now. That is point number one. 

Point number 2 is that neither of us are position to know any number of factors affecting CD such as future availability, shortages, changes in the cost of labor, taxes, utilities regulations, insurance or any number of other factors that may or not be related to COVID. You aren't in their shoes and they aren't in yours. Both of you have every right to price you best see fit.

Economics is not about right, wrong, good or bad. It is simply the study of what IS under a given set of conditions. The beauty of the free market system is the automatic self correcting mechanism that comes from the free will decisions of market participants acting in their own best interest where it comes to buying and selling.