News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

Horns

Started by hawkfan, July 10, 2021, 04:20:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hawkfan

The horns I have on my 56 Series 62 really dont do it justice.  Not sure if they are OEM.  I'm not looking for a train horn but would like something with a little bit more authority. 
Any suggestions?

Thanks
Hawkfan

Cadillac Fleetwood

White not technically correct for a 1956 Cadillac, I am particularly fond of the four-note horns (3 standard plus the optional "auxiliary" trumpet) from 1969 and 1970 Fleetwoods.  There are four notes tuned to the diatonic scale: F, A, C, and D.  Cadillac literature described the sound as compelling and authoritative.

Charles Fares
Forty-Five Years of Continuous Cadillac Ownership
1970 Fleetwood Brougham
1969 DeVille Convertible
1989 Fleetwood

"The splendor of the most special occasion is rivaled only by the pleasure of journeying there in a Cadillac"

Ralph Messina CLC 4937

Charles,

I had the four note set up on my '66 Fleetwood and Eldorado. That harmonious sound said "I will not be denied".....One of the things I miss most
1966 Fleetwood Brougham-with a new caretaker http://bit.ly/1GCn8I4
1966 Eldorado-with a new caretaker  http://bit.ly/1OrxLoY
2018 GMC Yukon

Cadillac Fleetwood

Quote from: Ralph Messina CLC 4937 on July 10, 2021, 07:18:41 PM
Charles,

I had the four note set up on my '66 Fleetwood and Eldorado. That harmonious sound said "I will not be denied".....One of the things I miss most

Ralph, the 1966 setup was the best, with that 27-inch long trumpet mounted crosswise in front of the AC condenser.  Alas, 1966 was the last year for that distinctive "896" trumpet. Later years, at least through 1976, used a "mini-trumpet" approximately 11 inches in length.

I remember as a child when my maternal grandfather, driving his Tropic Green Firemist '66 Fleetwood Brougham with the four-note setup, announced his arrival with a tap of the horn, and EVERYONE took notice, with wonder and amazement

But as a side benefit, a four-note set-up from a later car is more "compact", which is to say that it might be more easily installed where space is limited, and more readily available,  while still being distinctive and compelling.

Charles Fares
1970 Fleetwood Brougham
1969 DeVille Convertible
1989 Fleetwood

"The splendor of the most special occasion is rivaled only by the pleasure of journeying there in a Cadillac"

TonyZappone #2624

I have a "tri-volume'" setup on my '58 convertible.  What a wonderful sound!  When I first went to New York City in 1964, the sound of all the Cadillac limos and private cars with these horns made them the "sound " of New York City.  Three Christmas seasons ago, I was probably most saddened by the "squeak" horns of all the little mosquito cars running around Manhattan.  Sic Transit Gloria
Tony Zappone, #2624
1936 Pierce-Arrow conv sed
1947 Cadillac Conv cpe
1958 Cadillac conv
2016 Cadillac CT6 Platinum
2022 Chrysler Pacifica Pinnacle

fishnjim

How many Latin scholars out there?   Another shrinking commodity.     

hawkfan

Thanks to all for the input!  I ordered up a set of 4 notes!  And I do recall Latin from my younger days.  I had a 2nd cousin who had a handle of the language.

Cadillac Fleetwood

Quote from: fishnjim on July 11, 2021, 08:59:50 AM
How many Latin scholars out there?   Another shrinking commodity.     

Usually rendered "sic transit gloria mundi" and abbreviated as "sic transit gloria", meaning "Thus passes away (the)glory (of this world)"
1970 Fleetwood Brougham
1969 DeVille Convertible
1989 Fleetwood

scotth3886

I have a horny 66 Fleetwood now too. 

I know, I gotta to put the correct connectors on there.  I have them, but just have to find them or order more, which is generally quicker than finding them.

hawkfan

You'll find those connectors you have stashed away some time in the dead of winter when you're least expect it or need it!

druby

Install a 50-52 Cadillac 6V horn, once hit with 12 bolts it will sound like a train ! Will not damage them unless you lay on it for a long period of time and they look correct.
1949 Cadillac 4DR Sedan
1952 Cadillac Convertible
1953 Cadillac Coupe deVille
1958 Cadillac Eldorado Biarritz
1959 Cadillac Fleetwood

TonyZappone #2624

Does anyone sell (have) the green wire horn wire with connectors (and or jumpers) for the horns 12V?
Tony Zappone, #2624
1947 Cadillac Conv cpe
1958 Cadillac conv

fishnjim

You can get bulk automotive primary wire in various gauges and colors from DelCity or Waytek, et al.   Some auto parts carry them, but most packaged are chinese sourced.  Plus the connectors.   Just need a good crimping tool set to make up the correct crimps.   Connectors haven't changed much, there's the period Packard types and all the newer ones.   
6V horns - use 10 ga wire.   12V - 12 or 14 depending on the horns.   You're up into the mid '70s now to find new horns, which are plastic.  Relays and relay connectors also still available.   Follow the electrical diagram for the correct color.   Most are red or black.
I saw a nifty set of "train horns" over at the motorsports place, that'll vibrate the bumper off the car in front.   Runs on air.   Although I've contemplated, I've not purchased.   The blare of the train whistle is also a fading sound for most, replaced by the rumble of the diesel jake brake.

ps: it's been >50 years since I studied Latin for two years and retain little.   I have my book somewhere here.   I don't even think they teach it anymore.   A generational marker, understanding the root of the "romance" languages.

TonyZappone #2624

I never took Latin.  Certain phrases just sort of caught  on in undergrad and grad school.  Remember when the physician's prescriptions were in Latin?

Tony Zappone, #2624
1947 Cadillac Conv cpe
1958 Cadillac conv

carlhungness

Looking for a source for some of the horns mentioned, any suggestions?

Cadillac Fleetwood

Quote from: carlhungness on July 13, 2021, 10:52:23 PM
Looking for a source for some of the horns mentioned, any suggestions?

Carl,
I'll check around and see if I have a spare set of the four 1969-70 horns.

-Charles Fares
1970 Fleetwood Brougham
1969 DeVille Convertible
1989 Fleetwood

carlhungness

Spare set? Wow! That may be great, thanks for the reply. I don't know that I've ever heard  (or paid attention) to these horns but they sound, pardon the pun, like something I'd like.