News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

Cadillac Serie 62 Sedanette 1947 gear selection issue

Started by rjracing, July 23, 2021, 11:37:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

rjracing

Hi all, i'm new here (from Belgium).
I just got a wonderful 1947 Sedanette with a rear gear selection issue. The selector spring was broken (i fix it) and i see this sensor on the steering column. Could you tell me what is his function and if it is normal that it doesn't follow the lever till reverse position. (the beginning of the video the shift lever is in Park, then Drive, short and reverse)
The symptom is, when i want to shit in reverse, it is like trying to shift a manual gearbox without using the clutch.
Here is the link to video.
https://youtu.be/D3i6MKUyngA
Big thank's for any help.

Cheers

John

savemy67

Hello John,

As I recall, the '47 shift pattern should be (N)eutral, (D)rive, (L)ow, (R)everse.  Strictly speaking, there is no (P)ark.  The '47 is equipped with a Reverse Anchor that can be used like (P)ark when the engine is shut off, and the car is placed in (R)everse.

Your linkage may need to be adjusted.  The adjustment procedure is described in the shop manual.  Your Reverse Anchor may also need to be adjusted.  This is also described in the shop manual.

I am not sure about the sensor you refer to, but it could be for activating the back-up (reverse) lights.  Others may soon post some additional helpful information.

Respectfully submitted,

Christopher Winter
Christopher Winter
1967 Sedan DeVille hardtop

rjracing

Hi Christopher.
You are absolutely right about N, D L and Reverse, sorry (gone too fast).
The sensor is this one, it seems broken with a part missing...(see picture)
I have no idea about the original shape of it...

rjracing

Ok, i found it on the Web, it is Neutral switch.
Has it something to do with reverse selection gear?

Cheers

John

TonyZappone #2624

This problem in shifting has been covered before on the forum.  Shift the car into low.  Let car creep ahead a micro inch, then shift smoothly into reverse.
Tony Zappone, #2624
1936 Pierce-Arrow conv sed
1947 Cadillac Conv cpe
1958 Cadillac conv
2016 Cadillac CT6 Platinum
2022 Chrysler Pacifica Pinnacle

savemy67

Hello John,

The Neutral (safety) switch prevents the engine from starting when the car is in Drive, Low or Reverse, so the switch has nothing to do with shifting into reverse.

Respectfully submitted,

Christopher Winter
Christopher Winter
1967 Sedan DeVille hardtop

Joe Jensen

The shift proceedure mentioned above should correct your shift into reverse problem.  The switch is either a neutral saftey switch or for back up lights.  On my '49 the neutral safety is on the firewall and the reverse light switch is on the transmission.  Your is different then mine but I expect that switch feeds the backup lights.  If there is a wire coming off it going to the rear of the car, then I would be 95% confident it is backup lights.

Enjoy you '47!

Joe